Weighing options

Emart

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Can someone provide me with the benefits (other than serving the country) for trying to staying in for 20 years.
A little background: found unfit, received 70% DOD and 100% VA. I may be eligible for 50% CSRC. I'm a little over 15 years AD and have the opportunity to submit a COAD to finish my 20 years. Any guidance will be very helpful.

Maddog123

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I would say a huge benefit of staying till 20 is being allowed to receive CRDP. Medical retirement before reaching 20, forces you to choose between your VA percentage pay and your DOD disability retirement pay. However, you say you are eligible for crsc at 50%, which should offset some of the missed CRDP.

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
I would say a huge benefit of staying till 20 is being allowed to receive CRDP. Medical retirement before reaching 20, forces you to choose between your VA percentage pay and your DOD disability retirement pay. However, you say you are eligible for crsc at 50%, which should offset some of the missed CRDP.
Hello @Emart amd @Maddog123 ,

1. CRSC requires only a VA 10% rating that is approved as combat related. CRSC replaces some or all of waived retired pay. See this collection of CRSC info LINK <---

2. CRDP requires a VA 50% rating that does not have to be combat related. CRDP restores the longevity portion of waived retired pay. In simple terms, it allows the retiree to receive all his/her VA compensation plus the longevity portion of retired pay (which in the case of a regular retiree, is all of it). See DFAS LINK <---

3. This is a commonly held belief that is incorrect: " Medical retirement before reaching 20, forces you to choose between your VA percentage pay and your DOD disability retirement pay." One cannot receive VA compensation as a disability retiree unless they agree to waive retired pay dollar for dollar in the amount of the VA compensation. I have seen several cases where the residual retired pay (left from the reduction) was $1000 or more (although that is rare). You get to keep any left over retired pay. NOT choosing VA compensation is a bad idea in my opinion, irrespective of situation.

Ron

Last edited:

Maddog123

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
In my humble opinion, COAD is difficult to acquire. I have not heard of many soldiers being accepted into the COAD. From this forum, it seems that the Air Force is the most lenient in accepting COAD but they call it something different.

I would definitely apply for COAD...but I would mentally and financially plan as if it would be denied.

Emart

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I think I'm going to submit it. There's pros and cons for both staying in and getting out. I just want to make sure I'm making the right decision for myself and family.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">