What are the chances of retirement for me?

oldsoldier

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Anyone who might have answer for this is welcome to chime in: Here's the situation so far,
I'm 50 y/o, came back on active duty in '08 and was diagnosed in '09 as having arthritis in my left shoulder, was given a P2 profile at that time and sent on my merry way, reenlisted for an MOS Change, attended the school passed the AFPT there and went on to my next duty assignment, got there and had arthroscopic surgery to my shoulder, the pain got worse, we did the injections and physical therapy and now I have some limited use of my arm again. Fast forward to July '11, I was informed that I also have severe neck arthritis and was given P3 profile and promptly reffered to MEB. Also, I have 11 years total active federal service and over 20 for pay. Any help? :confused:

Well... my unprofessional opinion that it will take a train to slow you down. I don't know we got here on earth that's ever gonna stop ya. Thanks for your service. I wish I had an answer for you good luck! I'm just a vet that reads posts here for info help.

Need more info to hazard a guess. Mainly about how your are impacted in the performance of your duties and the degree of disability (especially ROM for your affected joints). Do you prefer to be retired now or to continue your service until 20 (there are significant financial advantages to reaching 20 active federal service, but I don't know if physically this is feasible).

Jason,

I had better ROM before the doctors did the arthroscopy on me and I think but can't really prove that the injections they did on my shoulder after that did some nerve damage. My current ROM is not that good as long as I bend my arm I can do most of the arm movements, however if I keep my arm straight when they do the measurements it causes unbelieveable pain and don't even ask me to try to put my arm behind me as in standing at parade rest that is not gonna happen. I really can't do the full range of things in my current MOS that would be expected of me due to the shoulder pain and the severe pain I have in my neck, which they haven't even gotten around to surveying yet. I, at one point wanted to stay in the full 20, but now I really just want to get out, this is mentally and physically draining me to the point that I am on meds to sleep at night which interfere with my doing my job and to be honest they really don't help.
And I'm also seeing a civilian doctor for pain management (Tri-Care referral), this doctor at least is trying to help me manage the things going on. He is even recommending that I see one of the Ortho doctors at the hospital where he is located that specializes in shoulder surgery. I think the thing that baffles me the most is being told by my Orthopedic provider here is that we can do the shoulder replacement surgery but it will be the end of your career, well how is that any different from what I've been put through thus far, my career is ending anyway so replace the shoulder.
A friend of mine that works at the VA hospital says it sounds to him like they are delaying everything till I get out to let the VA handle it, talk about passing the buck.
Sorry for the length of this post, just needed to vent alittle I guess.

I can't really speak to your situation but mine is similar so let me discuss it some. I to returned to the military after a 15 break. I joined my son's National Guard Unit and we went to Iraq together: Pre-Surge, Surge and Post Surge. I got a little beat up but able to complete my missions and return home with my second unit. At the Demobilization site they xrayed my right shoulder and found that I was a little more bit beat up then I thought and was transferred to a WTU, had surgery (5 hrs), new xray's, con leave and physical therapy. I transferred to a CBWTU, got orientated, moved home and worked at my duty site within my profile. My pain levels never went down and my case manager had me see a new doctor, new xrays, new surgery (another 5 hrs), con leave and physical therapy. My pain levels decrease but returned and the surgeon said the only thing left for me was a shoulder replacement. Well as you can imagine my case manager went sideways. He said that a shoulder replacement would have to be done after my MEB, PEB and discharge, "that they had made me better then I was and that was all that is required". I said OK lets get a second opinion and then I would have the surgery done right after my release ( with in the 6 month time frame that way I would still be on Tri Care) The second opinion came back and stated that a third surgery could be done and lower my pain levels and if I take care of it, would put off a replacement surgery. Keep in mind that shoulder replacements only last 10 years. Lowering my pain levels was part of my treatment plan so they said I should do it (third surgery was 2.33 hours). I will tell you that I did talk to an Ombudsman an he was a lot of help. Though not pain free I have lowered my pain levels and increased my range of motion. Yes I'm being medical-ed out, Yes I have 19 years service (10 years active) and yes it sucks , but I will survive. Several things play into all of this that I wanted to mention.... If you have over 8 years federal active service there is no such thing as a pre-existing condition. Contact an Ombudsman. Always ask for a second opinion, It's your right; even concerning mental health issues. I don't know if this helps, but I thought I would pass it on for what it's worth.

ND,
Just got done seeing PA (physician's assistant) that has been working my shoulder and neck issues, he did ROM's and they were not good on either shoulder or neck and re-showed me my cervical x-rays. He's a vet so I think he's a little sympathetic to my cause but also stated that in his opinion I might get at least 30% just for the degree of degeneration in my shoulder based on the ROM's. He also said that at some point I will need to get shoulder replacement done, but didn't commit to when I should have it done.
Tomorrow I have an appointment with an Ortho doctor in another city not far from here to look at my shoulder, willing to bet that Tri-Care, shoots down his recommendations, if he makes any. Everyone that I have talked to so far agrees that they are stalling till I get separated so that the VA has to take care of the shoulder replacement. As a side note, the ROM measurements for my neck were not that good either. Now I guess it's a wait and see, I'll post my ROM measurements when I actually get to see a hard copy of them.

Hello Oldsoldier. I am 28 year old AD (Army) soldier with right shoulder ROM issues. I am completing the MEDBOARD/PEB. I was found "unfit" for duty and receiving 30% disability.

Basically, I had multi-directional instability. I did years of physical therapy, but still had a "loose" shoulder. In May 2010, I had capsular-plication arthroscopic surgery. Afterwards, my ROM decreased and pain increased. This kick started the MEB process for me. So part of the MEB process was to evaluate the ROM for my right shoulder. I went to a physical therapist who measured "Shoulder Flexion North 180 degrees, Shoulder Abduction North to 180 degrees,
Internal rotation North to 90 degrees, and external rotation North to 90 degree. They will measure you with an tool called a goniometer or a Jamar long-arm. These tools give the physical therapist the "official" degree measurement. Below were my numbers if you were interested. Anyways....

AROM Max = Active Range of Motion
PROM= Passive Range of Motion

Right shoulder :

Shoulder Flexion N to 180 : Pain On Set ( 11 deg) AROM Max (77 Degrees) PROM (111 degrees)
Shoulder Abduction N to 180: Pain On Set(49 deg) AROM Max (70 Degrees) PROM ( 128 Degrees
Internal Rotation N to 90: Pain On Set (65 degrees) AROM Max ( 72 Degrees) PROM (80 Degrees)
External Rotation N to 90 : Pain On Set (60 degrees) AROM Max (62 degrees) PROM ( 67 degrees

I did not give you the ROM for the left shoulder because I do not have any problems with it ;) After the Physical Therapist gives their report it should have the following blurb at the bottom (or something similar)

Physical Therapist comments:
a. goniometer used: Jamar long-arm
b. If PROM not included, provide brief explanatory statement: PROM not tested on non-symptomatic left shoulder due to patient being within functional range of motion (within 10 degrees above or below the ―N‖ value).
c. RIGHT-HAND DOMINANT – per Service Member report.
d. Service member gave maximal effort throughout the test. With full range active and passive motions abduction and external rotation on right shoulder, Service Member reported she felt as though her shoulder was going to pop out.(<-- specific to my case) Multiple complaints of pain with some cramping into anterior shoulder along area in which she has well-healed scars from surgery/surgeries. Tends to have significantly rounded shoulders posture, right>left, and avoids using right upper extremity to don or doff jacket. Notable compensations at thoracolumbar spine to prevent right shoulder flexion and abduction past comfortable range. (<-- specific to my case)

My MEB packet was submitted to the PEB with the above ROM information. The PEB took my ROM measurements (above) and looked at the VASRD in the section "Arm, limitation of motion of - code 5201" to compare my ROM measurements with the VASRD. Lastly, they take in consideration if the injury is your MAJOR (dominant arm) or MINOR (non dominant arm) to calculate your rating. Here is what the 5201 Arm, limitation of motion percentages are :

5201 Arm, limitation of motion of: Major Minor

To 25° from side: Major 40%/ Minor 30%
Midway between side and shoulder level: Major 30% / Minor 20%
At shoulder level: Major 20% /Minor 20%

So, you really need your "official" ROM measurements to determine if you will receive retirement or not. Also please take in consideration you will get rated for ALL injuries ect that fall below the standard of medical fitness. IE If you have a shoulder injury that limits your range of motion which places you below the standard of medical fitness AND lets say bipolar disorder, you will be rated for BOTH or all injuries/disorders ect which will increase your percentage. If you have an injury/disorder that does not fall below the standard of medical fitness you will simply not be rated by the Army for this injury/disorder. However if you are found "unfit" you can have this injury/disorder ect rated by the VA.

I hope this helps, if you want to chat more feel free to e-mail me at [email protected]!