What exact types of tours/duties are covered by CRSC

MilitaryBlake

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Sorry if this has been posted before. But here is my question.

I do not think my situation applies here... but condition for which I am rated was vastly made worst while serving in Korea. IMO, not an active combat zone, but as I look at tax benefits apparently it is. Served from 2018-2019 in Area II, S. Korea. We received danger pay, or "hazard pay" monthly, the whole tour which makes me think there may be a slight possibility? Is there a way to officially look into this?

Hello @MilitaryBlake ,

Re: Tours of duty covered by CRSC.

Those tours could include Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan, Ft Lewis, Randolph AFB, Naval Base in San Diego, Iceland, Ireland, and basically anywhere.

One does not have to be in a combat zone to qualify for CRSC. In fact, being in a combat zone and incurring a disability does not necessarily qualify one for CRSC.

Please read the material at A Supplement to CRSC Information <---LINK

Disabilities that may be considered combat related include injuries incurred as a direct result of:

--Armed Conflict

--Hazardous Duty

--An Instrumentality of War

--Simulated War

This is (just) one section pertaining to combat related versus only service connected

Simulating WarCombat-RelatedService-Connected
Must be an incident or accident directly contributed to training
for combat
  • Twisted Knee jumping into foxhole
  • Broke arm at Leadership Reaction Course
  • Sprained ankle on tactical road march
  • Dislocated shoulder during Ranger training
  • Twisted knee stepping in hole while on duty
  • Broke arm playing football
  • Sprained ankle in motor pool
  • Dislocated shoulder during physical training

There is significantly more at the cited reference.

Ron

Oh wow.... okay, based on reading all this, I do qualify for CRSC.

Few other questions:

I have been doing my research. Questions aren't b/c of my lack or research. I see the qualifications needed, how to apply, etc., but I can't find information in terms of exactly what the entitlement IS. I found one calculator thread with DFAS calculator but it was too old/not working. I know the variables needed to calculate the benefit, and am missing is the CRSC award percentage. Not sure how this is calculated.

Any recommendations on how to calculate this?

Scratch the last post I made. I found the CRSC thread. I still do now know my CRSC award percentage... and the calculation seems very odd. I read that you:

- Take all DoD disability ratings, and subtract from 100. then multiply together. minus this from 100% and this will give you CRSC award percentage.

But this does not seem correct....

Scratch the last post I made. I found the CRSC thread. I still do now know my CRSC award percentage... and the calculation seems very odd. I read that you:

- Take all DoD disability ratings, and subtract from 100. then multiply together. minus this from 100% and this will give you CRSC award percentage.

But this does not seem correct....
Hello @MilitaryBlake

If I understand you correctly, you want to know the CRSC rates; how they are determined; and amounts.

First, the CRSC percentage is determined by the CRSC board of your service. The board approves a certain percentage and that percentage is cited in the CRSC approval letter sent to you in the mail.

The amount for each percentage is found in the VA compensation tables. Example: 60% CRSC approved for a retiree with spouse and one child under 18. Find the 60% rate in the VA compensation tables for veteran with spouse and one child under 18 and that is the approved amount.

However, most Chapter 61 retirees do not receive the rate/amount found in the VA comp tables. They receive the longevity portion of their retired pay.
Active duty years x 2.5% = longevity multiplier. Average high three for base pay x longevity multiplier = longevity amount which becomes the CRSC in many cases. The combination of residual retired pay and CRSC cannot exceed the longevity amount.

Special Rules for Chapter 61 Disability Retirees: According to law, members retired for disability under Chapter 61 of title 10 United States Code must have the CRSC entitlement limited to an amount that when combined with any military retired pay remaining after offset for VA disability compensation will not exceed the retired pay they would otherwise be entitled to for retirement computed for years of service (i.e., 2 1/2 percent x years of service x pay base).

Ron

Last edited:
Hmmmm.... looks like I have some research to do. But TY so much for the information.... you really are such a valuable asset Ron.

I did not know about this CRSC so I apologize for all the questions. I will wait for my ratings to formally return so I can see what I am CRSC-approved for. But before I let this go for now, is this CRSC something that I needed to apply for? I don't see how any approving authority would know about my DoD disability being combat related unless they did I deep dive in my records, which I am sure they did not. I had my knee blown out during Officer Basic training, and records indicate as much, but are very general in nature simply stating injury occurred "while in training" - not necessarily while during OBLC. Neither my PEBLO, MSC, or Soldier Counseling Attorney has said anything about applying for, or receiving CRSC....

Yes, it is a confusing subject.

Some things that might help:
--Each service has a CRSC page/website
--I believe I linked them at A Supplement to CRSC Information <---LINK
--The DoD's implementation of the CRSC laws is at at DoD 7000.14-R Financial Management Regulation Volume 7B, Chapter 63 * November 2019 LINK <---
--The various sources that have been provided show precisely how and what to submit (see your service's instructions)
--One of the most important documents in making a CRSC determination by a board is the VA compensation award (and associated documents) and the approved service connected disabilities

CRSC requires an application after one retires. There are a plethora of documents that must be submitted.

Ron

From DFAS:

Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC)
Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC) is a program that was created for disability and non-disability military retirees with combat-related disabilities. It is a tax free entitlement that you will be paid each month along with any retired pay you may already be receiving.

Eligibility
To qualify for CRSC you must:

• be entitled to and/or receiving military retired pay
  • be rated at least 10 percent by the Department of Veteran’s Affairs (VA)
  • waive your VA pay from your retired pay
  • file a CRSC application with your Branch of Service
Disabilities that may be considered combat related include injuries incurred as a direct result of:

• Armed Conflict
  • Hazardous Duty
  • An Instrumentality of War
  • Simulated War
Ron