What good is a commanders letter...

CMCB0818

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
when I have a condition that medically keeps me from performing my job as a loadmaster (enlisted aircrew). I would think MEB would decide unfit no matter what the commander puts on paper?

I had a case where a guy who was a medic was found fit for duty by a PEB when he was assigned to Walter Reed. However, he could not perform his duties once he was reassigned to an infantry division and was found unfit. His medical condition didn't change. Who was telling the PEB he could and couldn't perform his duties? His commanders . . .

The premise, right or wrong, is that the CC best knows the performance of the member. In my case, the CC recommended retain in 2008 and again this year. This PEB concurred with the CC in 2008, but not in 2014. In the PEB's decision the board specific addressed the CC's recommendation and why they non-concurred. The comments indicated they gave significant weight to the CC's letter.

I believe it is important, at least in the AF, for members to talk to the CC before the letter is written.

The PEB did not take in account my commanders letter that it didn't affect my job because I was the guys personal assistant for almost two years, of course he wanted me stay in. I couldn't perform my job, but I could be the guys driver, coffee maker, dry cleaning receptionist and personal COMMO guy all at once. When the PEB looked at my MOS and my injury they laughed, obviously I couldn't perform my job so they gave me the boot!

The PEB did not take in account my commanders letter that it didn't affect my job because I was the guys personal assistant for almost two years, of course he wanted me stay in. I couldn't perform my job, but I could be the guys driver, coffee maker, dry cleaning receptionist and personal COMMO guy all at once. When the PEB looked at my MOS and my injury they laughed, obviously I couldn't perform my job so they gave me the boot!
A PEB looks at many things to get a clear picture of the soldier. APFT scores. Evaluation reports. Medical records. Commander's letter. If the commander says a soldier is doing great but the NCOERs show he is not working in his MOS, the commander's statement is given little weight. If anything, the commander's letter will show that the soldier can't work in his/her MOS.

Don't be shy about sending a letter to the PEB with your position on the matter.

Mike

Matt, that is exactly what I had to do. I was working an admin position and that is what my commander based it off of. Not my actual MOS. I could work in the Army but not perform soldier tasks. I wrote a letter that my PEBLO assisted me with and I conducted a PT test to prove that I could barely make it through a PT test (I would still fail pushups). I could not put on body armour but I wasn't going to the field so the commander never thought about that as part of my MOS. I was doing well in my position, but if I had to truly work in my MOS I was a no-go.

Don't be shy about sending a letter to the PEB with your position on the matter.

Mike

I'm about to be in a similar position, where my CC letter is going to contradict my NARSUM and the C&P exam results. While it's not debatable that I can no longer perform my AFSC, my CC firewalled the questionnaire with "retain and retrain" language despite not consulting with me at all beforehand and the rather interesting fact that they do not currently have a job to "retain and retrain" me into.

As much as I am tempted, I've been advised that it's not a good idea to put a letter of rebuttal in with the PEB. I also read somewhere on here from Jason Perry that letters to the PEB are fraught with peril and will often hurt more than help. The last thing I want to do is get the IPEB/FPEB folks thinking that I'm trying to pull a fast one on them by contradicting what my CC says, a person who (theoretically) should be an honest broker in the process but (in reality) doesn't want to see any of this work out in my favor.

Mike

Simple, clear advice that often is not talked about! Thank you. Mike

This has been a slow going MEB, it hasn't even started yet. They are waiting on my commanders letter, whom I will sit down with this week. I'm really torn. If anyone has anymore advice, especially if they know my backstory, any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

Cameron

Brother the commanders letter can be invaluable. Sit down with your commander and make sure he knows the facts. I was fortunate enough to help mine write the letter. It was extremely helpful to me and also helps your commander to understand the process and whats going on so he can help the next soldier. Good Luck.

Yep, my letter was specifically addressed in my PEB results; make sure that it discusses what you can't do according to your actual trained job. For me, I could no longer go to sea, thereby not meet my sea/shore rotation. Additionally, the meds that I am on disqualified me for my trained job and could no longer work in the engine room.

Soldier's medical conditions/limitations affect unit accomplishing mission: Solider cannot perform duties due to his medical condition.
Section III A Item 1: Soldier does not perform duties in MOS: Soldier performs duties in a O1A branch immaterial position (ROTC Instructor). Soldier does not possess the capabilities and is unable to perform Common Military Tasks, Warrior Skills Level 1 Tasks or MOS duties. Due to denervation atrophy of the right thigh and an as yet undiagnosed movement disorder, Soldier is unable to run, ruck march, jump or do any deep knee bending activities. Soldier cannot lead or participate in Physical Readiness Training (PRT), wear IBA/IOTV, carry a rucksack or wear a LBV or equivalent load bearing equipment due to his movement disorder. Soldier is unable to carry and fire individual assigned weapon, evade direct and indirect fire, move under direct fire, move as a member of a team or move over, through or around obstacles, unable to wear a helmet, drive or ride on a military vehicle, wear a protective mask and associated gear or move 40 lbs while in protective mask and associated protective gear.
Section III A Item 3: Soldiers physical limitations of his movement disorder, depression, anxiety and muscle denervation atrophy significantly impact the mission. As a result he is unable to teach outdoor field tasks or physical fitness classes and is unable to recruit effectively resulting in other instructors having to teach all field tasks or labs such as land navigation or weapons ranges and missing the goals of his assigned recruiting mission.
Section III A Item 4: I do not recommend retaining this Soldier: Recommend this Soldier be medically retired.
Section III B Item 2B: Soldier is unable to instruct ROTC Cadets during outdoor field tasks, lab exercises, such as land navigation or weapons ranges due to being unable to stand for periods of time more than 20 minutes or walk distances required. Soldier will get tired and intermittently lose the ability to walk until allowed to rest for up to an hour.
Section III B Item 2A: Soldier is unable to lead and instruct ROTC Cadets in Physical fitness training classes due to physical limitations of his undiagnosed movement disorder and muscle denervation atrophy.

Section III B Item 2D: Soldier cannot maintain effective professional work relationships because of depression and anxiety symptoms. He is unable to work under pressure, make sound decisions and complete tasks in a timely manner. His anxiety has a negative effect on the workplace further reducing his effectiveness as the leader of a team.
Section III B. item 3A: Soldiers effectiveness, concentration and ability to complete tasks greatly diminish when he is stressed. For example learning new tasks, impending deadlines or additional workload.
Section III B Item 5C: Soldier avoids all social interactions; limiting his ability to bond with peers and seniors. Soldier displays an inability to establish and maintain effective work relationships with other cadre and staff and perform recruiting duties due to depression and anxiety.

mine is spot on with what my Psychatrist wrote, and has a lot of the VA 50% language in both. if your commander can write something that goes along with what your doctor states, but adds in exactly how each condition effects your performance of duties, that will be best for you.

Thanks for the replies guys. Unfortunately my commander didn't want to put much time or thought into it, but he points to an unfit finding and medical retirement, which actually goes against what the flight doc said, which was "while not able to perform flight duties, I would support him in a ground role, IE computer or desk job as long as it's not a safety sensetive job, like maintenance."

This MEB, while it hasn't even officially started has been a disaster. While in operations, we all know our jobs and can to it well. Can't say the same for desk/clinical jobs. :( I feel that things will shake out how they are supposed to.

Cameron