What is the average wait time

PaulineMBryant13

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I started this process in 2015 in 2016 February I emailed asking the status of my packet they said it had already been sent to the review board to be adjucated. However it's still there. What is the average timeline for things to process from being reviewed and adjucated to being sent to the actual branch?

Keebs

PEB Forum Veteran
What branch were you and also do you know how far back they back pay and does when a person start collecting VA matter
I was Army.

I was backpaid to my discharge date. When you started receiving VA compensation and how much you received does matter. In typical cases where there are no exceptions they subtract your monthly VA award you received each month from the monthly retirement pay (if they find in your favor) and you receive the difference. But there exceptions like CRSC and CRDP.

TexasTACP

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Keeps,

I don't understand what you are saying about backpay to your ETS date and it's relation to VA compensation.

a simple example:

If you receive 50% disability from the VA and we're discharged in 2005

PDBR comes back and upgrades you from 10% to 30%

In this case there would be no retro pay because you've actually been getting paid more from the VA? Tricare benefit aside.

404notfound

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Keeps,

I don't understand what you are saying about backpay to your ETS date and it's relation to VA compensation.

a simple example:

If you receive 50% disability from the VA and we're discharged in 2005

PDBR comes back and upgrades you from 10% to 30%

In this case there would be no retro pay because you've actually been getting paid more from the VA? Tricare benefit aside.
Correct. I believe Keebs is talking about the scenario where your VA monthly disability pay is less than your retirement pay. Ie if your VA compensation is $500/mo, but your DoD retirement is $800, the first $500 of your pay is tax free, then you receive the difference of $300 (taxed) since DoD retirement pay is greater.

Keebs

PEB Forum Veteran
Correct! A majority of people cannot collect both VA pay and military retirement pay. DFAS automatically chooses the one that is most beneficial for you. So as 404 said if you VA pay is lower than your military retirement pay then you get the difference of the two. If your VA pay is more then you don't l receive anything. As always, there are exceptions to the rule.

So for me I was discharged in 03. Filed a VA claim in 05 and started receiving comp and pen at a whopping 30% until 2012. Then I was bumped up to IU from the VA and started being paid at the 100% rate. PDBR gave me 50%. So I got paid for the full two years from DFAS where I was not receiving any VA benefits. Then from 05-12 they subtracted my VA from my retirement pay and since the retirement pay was more I got the difference. From 2012 to present the CA was clearly paying me more than the retirement amount so I was due no back pay for those years.

TexasTACP

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Gotcha,

I still think they sprinkle pixie dust and then through magical government processes your decision is rendered.....at least that's what it seems like.

PaulineMBryant13

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I was Army.

I was backpaid to my discharge date. When you started receiving VA compensation and how much you received does matter. In typical cases where there are no exceptions they subtract your monthly VA award you received each month from the monthly retirement pay (if they find in your favor) and you receive the difference. But there exceptions like CRSC and CRDP.
Ok thank you because I got out in 2004 but didn't start receiving VA until 2015 and was wondering how that worked

hursey84

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I just got my letter saying that they increased my rating to 40% but to wait for another letter telling me what to do

Keebs

PEB Forum Veteran
Congratulations on your retirement! You'll need to attend an SBP briefing. You can call your nearest base and set that up. That must be done before you can be paid. Then you'll also get orders and paperwork to get your military ID. When SBP asks you if you got a letter stating to contact them tell them yes.

hursey84

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
So I should go ahead and call them, the letter said that it will take 4 months before I even get
Any paperwork

Keebs

PEB Forum Veteran
Yes, go ahead and call them to schedule. The SBP offices are hard to get appointments. Most times they don't even answer their phones. So it is better to call them and schedule it now. They won't need any of your paperwork that is being mailed to you. They will have the paperwork in their office. You can also ask them what you need to bring with you to be sure they haven't changed anything since I did mine in July.

GreenEyedMarine

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
You are also eligible for retrograde Tricare...which can be important if you or you family has paid out expenses. For example, I had insurance, however my co-pays were in the tens of thousands. After about 10 months of searching, I figured out whom to contact to get the claims in, however YOU ONLY HAVE 1 YEAR TO MAKE A CLAIM.
Did anyone (or does anyone) have any issues with this, like I did?

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">