When do you apply for CRSC?

shawn8121

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hi Everyone,

I was wonder when do you apply for CRSC? Received my medical retirement orders last week and it will be affective next month.

National Guard 28 years with 11yrs worth of points. Do guard soldiers over 20 that are retired out have to wait until they are collecting the regular retirement at age 60 to be eligible to apply for CRSC?

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
No.

Your medical retired pay will include a reduction/waiver in the amount of VA compensation received. You can submit your application now, since you once you are medically retired and waiving retired pay to receive VA comp (which is the best selection in my opinion).

See the following for a collection of CRSC info: A Supplement to CRSC Information <---LINK

Added: Wait until you are actually retired (i.e., next month).

Ron

shawn8121

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
No.

Your medical retired pay will include a reduction/waiver in the amount of VA compensation received. You can submit your application now, since you once you are medically retired and waiving retired pay to receive VA comp (which is the best selection in my opinion).

See the following for a collection of CRSC info: A Supplement to CRSC Information <---LINK

Added: Wait until you are actually retired (i.e., next month).

Ron

Ron,

thanks for such a fast response. Wish I found this forum over 400 days ago when I was entered into the IDES. Now that I am at the end, I never realized I would a thousand more new questions.

Anyway, I will wait until I am medically retired. I have to wait until after this holiday week to meet with my RSO to do the application. talk about cutting it close to the end.

Is there a way to estimate what the dfas will do, like reduction/waiver will look like? I have always just assumed that I am getting the VA and not the retirement since it would be greater.

thanks
Shawn

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Ron,

thanks for such a fast response. Wish I found this forum over 400 days ago when I was entered into the IDES. Now that I am at the end, I never realized I would a thousand more new questions.

Anyway, I will wait until I am medically retired. I have to wait until after this holiday week to meet with my RSO to do the application. talk about cutting it close to the end.

Is there a way to estimate what the dfas will do, like reduction/waiver will look like? I have always just assumed that I am getting the VA and not the retirement since it would be greater.

thanks
Shawn
Hello,

Your retired pay will be reduced by the amount of VA comp you receive. If there is residual (left over) retired pay; you keep that, but residual reduces the potential CRSC amount.

Basically, ALL of the following is what is needed for someone to compute your CRSC in the PEB forum:
Needed within one reply:
--Average high three for basic pay (total of the highest 36 months of pay divided by 36) As an alternative (and better) cite the gross retired pay on the most recent DFAS RAS. Indicate which you are furnishing.
--DoD disability percentage
--Active duty years and months (or active duty equivalent for RC members)
--VA compensation percentage; amount; dependents by category; and ages of dependent children. Also provide information pertaining to any SMCs you receive.
--Projected or approved CRSC percentage by your service.
--Whether you qualify for another type retirement and whether you transitioned to the blended retirement system
--Did you receive a REDUX/CSB payment?

shawn8121

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello,

Your retired pay will be reduced by the amount of VA comp you receive. If there is residual (left over) retired pay; you keep that, but residual reduces the potential CRSC amount.

Basically, ALL of the following is what is needed for someone to compute your CRSC in the PEB forum:
Needed within one reply:
--Average high three for basic pay (total of the highest 36 months of pay divided by 36) As an alternative (and better) cite the gross retired pay on the most recent DFAS RAS. Indicate which you are furnishing.
--DoD disability percentage
--Active duty years and months (or active duty equivalent for RC members)
--VA compensation percentage; amount; dependents by category; and ages of dependent children. Also provide information pertaining to any SMCs you receive.
--Whether you qualify for another type retirement and whether you transitioned to the blended retirement system
--Did you receive a REDUX/CSB payment?

ok what about CRDP, doesn't DFAS do that automatically at retirement? How is that one calculated so you can determine which one they will go with?

here my basics.
ARNG M-Day, Mil-Tech
retired grade E8,
60% disability,
retirement type & code permanent/12
Disability retirement 11years, 10 months, 24days.
Basic Pay 28yrs, 5mth 29days
LOD in war yes
combat related yes
result of in combat zone yes

so I'll try and answer all you listed above.

--Average high three for basic pay $6,045
--DoD disability percentage 60%
--RC members 4284 points 11.9 years? unless its the basic pay on the retirement orders 28yr5mt29days
--VA compensation 100%; $3,801.67; dependents Spouse; 2x children 4 & 6 yrs old. SMC S-1
-- NO blended retirement but qualify for FERS retirement
-- NO REDUX/CSB payment? No

hope I got it right

shawn8121

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
ok what about CRDP, doesn't DFAS do that automatically at retirement? How is that one calculated so you can determine which one they will go with?

here my basics.
ARNG M-Day, Mil-Tech
retired grade E8,
60% disability,
retirement type & code permanent/12
Disability retirement 11years, 10 months, 24days.
Basic Pay 28yrs, 5mth 29days
LOD in war yes
combat related yes
result of in combat zone yes

--RC members 4284 points 11.9 years? unless its the basic pay on the retirement orders 28yr5mt29days
--VA compensation 100%; $3,801.67; dependents Spouse; 2x children 4 & 6 yrs old. SMC S-1

hope I got it right
I forgot, I don't know how to project the crsc %, haven't applied yet

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Hello shawn8121,

Answer no. 1.

You will be eligible for CRDP when/if:
--you have a VA rating of 50% or more
--you meet the age requirement for reserve/NG retirement.

Yes, CRDP is automatic, BUT in the case of a person already retired for disability, the retiree must apply for reserve/NG retirement a certain number of months before they reach the age requirement. When I received CRDP as a regular retiree, it was started automatically by DFAS without action by me.

In cases where the retiree is eligible for both CRSC and CRDP, the DFAS will give the retiree the opportunity to choose the type payment they want.
------------
DFAS & CRDP.
You do not need to apply for CRDP. If qualified, you will be enrolled automatically. [RC/NG members must submit a retirement application as they near the retirement age requirement.]

Eligibility
You must be eligible for retired pay to qualify for CRDP. If you were placed on a disability retirement, but would be eligible for military retired pay in the absence of the disability, you may be entitled to receive CRDP.

Under these rules, you may be entitled to CRDP if…

• you are a regular retiree with a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater.
  • you are a reserve retiree with 20 qualifying years of service, who has a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater and who has reached retirement age. (In most cases the retirement age for reservists is 60, but certain reserve retirees may be eligible before they turn 60. If you are a member of the Ready Reserve, your retirement age can be reduced below age 60 by three months for each 90 days of active service you have performed during a fiscal year.)
  • you are retired under Temporary Early Retirement Act (TERA) and have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater.
  • you are a disability retiree who earned entitlement to retired pay under any provision of law other than solely by disability, and you have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater. You might become eligible for CRDP at the time you would have become eligible for retired pay. [In the case of RC/NG personnel, they must meet the age requirement for RC retirement.]
Ron

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Shawn8121,

Answer no. 2.

You provided the following information for a CRSC estimate:

Estimate using the info you provided.

1. 6045 x 0.60 = 3627 retired pay
2. Retired pay reduced by amount of VA comp: 3627 - 3801.67 = zero retired pay remaining
3. Active duty equivalent, 11years, 10 months is 11.833 AD yrs x 0.025 = 29.58% longevity multiplier
4. 6045 x 0.2958 = 1788.11 longevity portion of retired pay and one of the ceilings for CRSC
5. Your CRSC will not be more than 1788.11, but could be less IF the CRSC percentage approved by your service results in an amount less than 1788.11.
6. CRSC for Chapter 61 retirees is the lesser of the longevity portion of retired pay (amount at item 4) OR the amount associated with the CRSC percentage approved by one's service.
Note: The VA Compensation Tables are used to find the amount associated with the percentage of CRSC approved by one's service.

Ron

shawn8121

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Thanks Ron,

I didn't know CRDP was until your actual retirement age for Guard / Reserve.

correct me But CRSC doesn't wait until my Guard/Reserve age? Did I get the High 3 right? I used pay scales for the last 36months as an E8 with >28years but I think I should have used >26 for the first 29months then >28 for the last 7months.

I'll be 46 at retirement and the order has my retirement listed as 11y20m24days which is around age 58. Does that mean that I can apply for retirement then? How do I verify the calculated that correctly? I ask because my 2 deployments where before 2008, unless they count active orders for training eligible to reduce the retirement age.

man this is a lot of work. thanks for your help.

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Hello,

As I mentioned earlier, you qualify for CRSC now as a medical retiree with combat related disabilities. "Your medical retired pay will include a reduction/waiver in the amount of VA compensation received. You can submit your application now, since you once you are medically retired and waiving retired pay to receive VA comp (which is the best selection in my opinion). "

CRSC wait for age if you have medical retirement = no
CRDP wait for age with medical retirement but also qualify for reserve retirement = yes

Ron

Last edited:

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Shawn8121,

1. Did I get the High 3 right? I used pay scales for the last 36months as an E8 with >28years but I think I should have used >26 for the first 29months then >28 for the last 7months.
Answer: You gave me a high three. High three is the total of the highest 36 months of base pay divided by 36 = high three average

2. I'll be 46 at retirement and the order has my retirement listed as 11y20m24days which is around age 58. Does that mean that I can apply for retirement then? How do I verify the calculated that correctly? I ask because my 2 deployments where before 2008, unless they count active orders for training eligible to reduce the retirement age.
Answer:
The NDAA for 2008 reduces the retirement age for Reserve Component (RC) Soldiers from 60 to a lesser age, but not below age 50, for those who have served on Active Duty (AD) in an eligible status on or after 29 Jan 08. For qualifying service on or after 29 Jan 08, each day on that AD tour could count toward a reduction in retirement age. However, even though each day counts, days are credited in aggregates of 90 days only within any Fiscal Year. A day of duty shall be included in only one aggregate of 90 days.

In order to ensure each Soldier receives proper credit, it is incumbent upon the Soldier to maintain supporting documentation, which includes: Department of Defense (DD) Forms 214 (Certificate of Release or Discharge From AD), and DD Forms 220 (AD Report) for periods of AD less than 90 days. For periods of AD not covered by DD Forms 214 or 220, copies of your Leave and Earning Statements with your mobilization orders will suffice. Orders alone are not proof of duty performed, but merely an authorizing document.

AD, for this purpose, means service pursuant to a call or order to AD on orders specifying, as the authority for such orders, a provision of law referred to in section 101(a) (13)(B), and performed under section 688, 12301 (a), 12302, 12304, 12305, 12406, and chapter 15 (insurrection), or under section 12301 (d) of Title 10 USC. Active Guard Reserve (AGR) duty under section 12301 of Title 10 USC, will not be included as service on active duty for determining eligibility for reduced age retired pay for non-regular service.

Army HRC: HRC Homepage <---LINK Contact the HRC for additional questions regarding reducing the age requirement.

3. I used the following in computing your active duty equivalent: Disability retirement 11years, 10 months, 24days. If that is not your active duty equivalent, please provide the correct active duty equivalent. I was not RC/NG and have little knowledge about the RC points system except some publications show total creditable points divided by 360 = active duty equivalent. Several RC members have told me that the "Disability Retirement figure" is the active duty equivalent for CH 61 retirees. I don't normally compute RC time; I use what is given.

-------------

Regards,
Ron

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Hello,

I added the following to message number 7:

DFAS & CRDP.
You do not need to apply for CRDP. If qualified, you will be enrolled automatically. [RC/NG members must submit a retirement application as they near the retirement age requirement.]

Eligibility
You must be eligible for retired pay to qualify for CRDP. If you were placed on a disability retirement, but would be eligible for military retired pay in the absence of the disability, you may be entitled to receive CRDP.

Under these rules, you may be entitled to CRDP if…

• you are a regular retiree with a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater.
  • you are a reserve retiree with 20 qualifying years of service, who has a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater and who has reached retirement age. (In most cases the retirement age for reservists is 60, but certain reserve retirees may be eligible before they turn 60. If you are a member of the Ready Reserve, your retirement age can be reduced below age 60 by three months for each 90 days of active service you have performed during a fiscal year.)
  • you are retired under Temporary Early Retirement Act (TERA) and have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater.
  • you are a disability retiree who earned entitlement to retired pay under any provision of law other than solely by disability, and you have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater. You might become eligible for CRDP at the time you would have become eligible for retired pay. [In the case of RC/NG personnel, they must meet the age requirement for RC retirement.]
Ron

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Glad we could help...

Good luck,
Ron

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">