Who can help me now!?!?

tonyfromnj

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Who can help me now that my case has been at the VA Regional Office in Seattle awaiting ratings for 92 days!?

They told me that there are almost 200 others who are now waiting longer than 90 days, but that the average is 45 days? How is that possible!?

It would be nice if they had a first-in, first-out policy, as it should be....and I could NOT get a straight answer out of my VA rep here or from the OIC at the PEBLO office.

I want some transparency in this, not just "they are working on it." That is malarkey!! Tell me who my rater is...what their phone number and/or email address is. Tell me how many other cases are ahead of mine before he/she picks up my file and finishes it! How can they start working on it months ago, and then just put it down for 90 days without completing it!? I tried so hard to get a logical answer out of my VA rep regarding this, but she couldn't say anything except "they are working on it. They should have told you the process could take up to one year...didn't they tell you that?"

Is that just absurd or what? "Yeah it MAY take up to 10 years, but be happy if it is done sooner...." you can say that for anything, and it's BS and not a policy.

I wanted a POLICY from the VA stating who gets their ratings done and in what order. Do I have to wait longer just because I have a neck issue and a nerve issue? Does someone who has a lesser injury get done quicker? Or does someone with a more severe disability get rated first?? WHAT IS THE POLICY!? She couldn't answer it.

Can anyone here? Because I doubt one even exists. I will await someone's reply -- otherwise I am going to see my Congressman today.

Who can help me now that my case has been at the VA Regional Office in Seattle awaiting ratings for 92 days!?

They told me that there are almost 200 others who are now waiting longer than 90 days, but that the average is 45 days? How is that possible!?

It would be nice if they had a first-in, first-out policy, as it should be....and I could NOT get a straight answer out of my VA rep here or from the OIC at the PEBLO office.

I want some transparency in this, not just "they are working on it." That is malarkey!! Tell me who my rater is...what their phone number and/or email address is. Tell me how many other cases are ahead of mine before he/she picks up my file and finishes it! How can they start working on it months ago, and then just put it down for 90 days without completing it!? I tried so hard to get a logical answer out of my VA rep regarding this, but she couldn't say anything except "they are working on it. They should have told you the process could take up to one year...didn't they tell you that?"

Is that just absurd or what? "Yeah it MAY take up to 10 years, but be happy if it is done sooner...." you can say that for anything, and it's BS and not a policy.

I wanted a POLICY from the VA stating who gets their ratings done and in what order. Do I have to wait longer just because I have a neck issue and a nerve issue? Does someone who has a lesser injury get done quicker? Or does someone with a more severe disability get rated first?? WHAT IS THE POLICY!? She couldn't answer it.

Can anyone here? Because I doubt one even exists. I will await someone's reply -- otherwise I am going to see my Congressman today.

Go ahead with the congressional inquiry.

The VA telling you that it could take up to a year is non-IDES claim timeline.

I'm pretty sure that the VA can do an internal inquiry of sorts on a claim and get back to you with more information than "they are working on it". I did this once and just so happened that my claim was finished but it just hadn't been processed.

Now, you need to relax. :) Beyond what I mentioned above, there's not much else you can do. So keep things in perspective and maybe focus on something else for a week or so, like making sure you have all your issued equipment or looking into CRSC or getting two extra copies of all your medical records, then come back to finding out where your ratings are.

Which branch are you? Are you active duty?

Yes active duty Army. I am trying to relax. It just gets so frustrating when people try to tell me something that does not make any logical sense and then trying to pass it off as fact like I am some sort of idiot and won't know any better.

I can say that, in my opinion after 19 years of service, the terms government and transparency don't work well in the same sentence.;) In re to the VA rep telling you that "they are working it" and not being able to cite a reg....the VA typically doesn't even know what they are are doing themselves most of the time, much less being able to explain it to us.

I agree with the above statements. The VA is so large and so complexed but like the Millitary their communication is terrible within. No one seems to put the appropriate notes or updates where others specifically the call center or MSC/ PEBLO can see them.

Yes active duty Army. I am trying to relax. It just gets so frustrating when people try to tell me something that does not make any logical sense and then trying to pass it off as fact like I am some sort of idiot and won't know any better.

I agree. And I agree to not go with the flow and to always ask questions--it's part of living an assertive, proactive lifestyle. I'm the same way. And a lot of the problems we see around the world and throughout history can be traced to the fact that the masses were/are just "going with the flow". Anyway, off my soap box...hang in there. You will get your ratings back. You will get out of the Army.

Besides, a Congressional Inquiry is really the only thing that may help at this point...so, I would try that.

With that being said, usafaviator's insight about the VA is dead on. In other words, they aren't hiding anything from you...they just don't know. Could they find out--yes. Are they going to take the time to--no. Just the way it is. But I have heard of a congressional inquiry helping.

Is your unit giving you a hard time? I wasn't in a real big hurry to get out until I got a new PL, who didn't know me nor ever worked with me and for whatever reason couldn't stand the idea of me retiring, just before ratings and 199 came back. Then, I was: "Hurry the eff up...I need orders yesterday!" lol

I faxed my congressional on the 25th of Feb. about the same issue, i am almost 150 days. I feel your pain brother, I am tired of seeing other Soldiers with even more conditions than me, already done with the process, and i started earlier than them. When i call the VA 1-800 number i have more info than they do. All i keep getting told is be patient, patience only lasts so long. My congressmen also happens to be on the Armed forces Committee, maybe at least it will get some insight as to why cases are taking so long. I would call Seattle but they keep their numbers top secret, i tried googleing their address for the phone number and everything.

Seattle Division

1660 South Columbian Way

Seattle, WA 98108
206-762-1010 | 800-329-8387

Call the number and ask for the comp and pen or disability rating section. Don't know if that will work, but it's worth a shot (if you haven't done it already).

You also have the VA patient advocate, etc.:
http://www.pugetsound.va.gov/patients/customerservice.asp

Again, I have never dealt with Seattle, and I don't know what it will take to get an answer, but this is a good start.

I faxed my congressional on the 25th of Feb. about the same issue, i am almost 150 days. I feel your pain brother, I am tired of seeing other Soldiers with even more conditions than me, already done with the process, and i started earlier than them. When i call the VA 1-800 number i have more info than they do. All i keep getting told is be patient, patience only lasts so long. My congressmen also happens to be on the Armed forces Committee, maybe at least it will get some insight as to why cases are taking so long. I would call Seattle but they keep their numbers top secret, i tried googleing their address for the phone number and everything.

I am curious - you are tired of seeing soldiers with More conditions finishing up faster? Why? Because you're more Hurt than them? with your less conditions? - I'm not starting any flame war that just seems like an oxymoron - I wouldn't have suggested the Congressional - and you can look up my Long and Storied situation if you would like -

I got hurt in Jan 2011 - Surgery in August 2011 - IDES filed April-May 2011 - Narsum Finalized Jan 2012 - VA C&P VA Case finishes with prelim results April 2012, SAF helped my situation along in Sept 2012 getting Med Retirement orders for Oct. 2012 to get me retired anyways - and VA finally finalized my results in Feb 2013 and finally got my first check in middle of that month.

A congressional is good - for getting notice - but rarely do they work - Jason is not overly fond of their use as an effective tool except maybe to be a stop gap for onesies twosies - but shouldn't really be upset that people are finishing before you. I have had a rough time and not once did i envy anyone else in similar conditions or worse or less than me for getting their results ahead of me! Nor would they be evidence in my Congressional that look how are these people finishing before me it's not right...

-Scott

Im 97 days in as of today dude, just breathe. I talked to my msc last week he said the va did this last year too! They had to hire a bunch of temps to get it fixed! Im nervous about the congressional aspect just because as you know when u piss in someones pool you might piss em off!

No worries...it's all good!:)

Hypothetically of course, if your DoD/DoVA ratings came back tomorrow and you were rated DoD-10% and DoVA-0% on ALL of your medical conditions, would you accept it? Or, would you appeal the PEB unfitting condition DoD ratings? Moreover, your DoVA ratings for all claimed conditions are appealable upon entering military veteran status.

Thus, my point of interest is congruent with the historical reference "you can pay now, or you can pay later." Either way, there exist a duration of extended waiting time. But, what is the true value added between each aforementioned tactic?

With all fun aside, if you believe there will be any value added with a Congressional Injury then it's worth your time and effort. In the meantime, I would offer that you stay the course and remain strong while within the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process.

Best Wishes!

klamsnacks-I know your not tyring to start a flame-war. I was not refering to Soldiers on here getting done before me, i was refering to friends and Soldiers I know within my own brigade. When no one at VA or PEB knew why my packet was taking so long it gets frustrating. By writing to my congressman, and have others do it, maybe we can get some oversight from Washington about whats taking so long on Soldiers packets. If the VA needs more people to help with ratings than maybe this can help to get more raters hired. It is easy once your packet is done and you are getting paid to tell others to be patient. Maybe the air force process is different, I am not saying i am more or less injured than others. I spent 12 years being hooah on the front lines for 3, 12 month combat deployments as a combat arms Soldier and went to sick call/ clinic only when i had to for antibiotics (maybe 6 times total). I just think that maybe the Army/ VA could treat me with respect and not lose my claim for all i have done for them. Your right i am impatient and pissed that others are going faster than me, not envious of them, pissed at the VA. I was told the VA rates in order they recieve the claims.....It's ok once i am done i will come back on here and tell everyone who is taking more then normal times to just wait, classy-move buddy.

by the way scott, did you flame on everybody elso who files a congressional or just single me out? Do you message guys who are at 30 days in PEB to stop complaining? If your not here to help people out, and you are done with the process then stay off the site. Thank you have a good day.

by the way scott, did you flame on everybody elso who files a congressional or just single me out? Do you message guys who are at 30 days in PEB to stop complaining? If your not here to help people out, and you are done with the process then stay off the site. Thank you have a good day.
Don't worry about him, bro. Vent all you want. :) Besides, I'd be reacting the same way you are if it took my ratings that long to come back.

in response to all the nice post about being patient. i am also awaiting my 199. i am active army recieved my unfit letter 28 nov 2012. I also have my proposed ratings from the va (i guess a miracle occured). in defense to the va, i don't know whether to assume their not rating fast enough or put some of the blame on dod. again, i have my proposed ratings from the va and awaiting my 199. we also had a va rep come in and talk to our guys at my unit. he mentioned to most soldiers awaiting their percentages, that he can more than certainly assure them that their va ratings are already proposed and that their waiting on dod to make their decision so eveything can be sent all at once. i have used my proposed ratings to apply for voc rehab. other than that on the armys side they tell me aint much they can do with the va proposed ratings by themselves. in closing, i am also tired of this long process and patience is getting shorter by the day. come on already dod the va has done their part. hooah

I'm with you Josh. Very easy for others who are done already to criticize those that are not, and to give the same BS lines that we hear from our PEBLOs and others telling us to "be patient," or "it won't be to much longer now."

These comments do not help, and do not clear up the question at hand which is why does Soldier X get his ratings back before me when mine was sent there months or weeks before his/hers? The VA CLAIMS that they do them on a first-in-first-out basis, I even read an email sent to the OIC of the VA office here from the Seattle MSC rep telling her that they do them on a first-in-first-out basis, which OBVIOUSLY is not true as you can see from the timelines thread from Seattle office that is on this site, and from others that I know at the WTU here. So right there, I call BS.

Along with that, she now stated that they are only focused on cases over 150 days without preliminary ratings, and then they have 6,000 cases that don't have the preliminary results sent yet. Do I care about that? No. Should they be doing their jobs better and faster, yes. If they only have 3 people doing this, then they need to hire 10 more.

Does it make sense that the government spends money on stupid crap like robotic squirrels, but not on things that matter like this? NO.

Does it cost money to the taxpayers to hire additional people? Yes and no. Yes because it is more in salary. No, because the ROI is better as it will get more of us off of the Army's payroll and only be paying us disability money and not full salary and benefits. By keeping thousands of us on the military's payroll they are losing more money than it would cost to hire more employees to bang out all these old claims. But does the government run like a good business would? Nope, of course not.

i can tell you why were all getting held up! In my unit there was this female corporal , never deployed been in 8 years and was barely and e4. she supposedly got hurt somehow, and ended up having the worlds fastest road to 60% va and 50% dod for the rest of her life. Thats why we that actually may have participated in putting boot to ass for the red white and blue and got hurt are actually catching the shaft.

Oh, believe me, it is not just her--at least she has been in a long time! I knew two guys I was in Korea with -- first guy this was his only duty station (Korea) and had only been in just 2 years when he got his permanent profile signed and a ticket home to a WTU for a supposed back injury (which was made-up). He just complained of back pain constantly, yet nothing showed up on MRIs or other films. He got sent to a WTU 3 months AFTER me, and he has been out already for a month now! HOW THE FK DOES THAT HAPPEN!? Unreal?

Case #2, was a guy who had been in less than 4 years, never deployed either, and same thing, "back issues"--which some were legitimate, but with which he came into the Army with! So he too didn't want to be in the Army anymore so he went to get a permanent profile and get sent to a WTU...and now he is going through the process too...he started it 6 months after me, so he is not done yet, but is moving along faster than I did somehow. I just don't get it.

i started june 6 brother, my packet hasnt moved since december 5 in seattle. Had to call congressman and senator, so hopefully might hear something out of it!!1

Mine was going smooth, but now seems to have hit a wall. I know 3 people who started after me and already signed their 199. I just don't get it. I have such a simple case. Going on 70 days at peb 130 total days.