Will Army pay travel pay for spouse and myself if we travel separately ETS

soldieradvocate

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Finally, I have been approved for medical separation and retirement. Because I am not well, I would like to fly while my wife drives our POV back to home of record 2000 miles. Will the Army pay for both modes of travel, air flight and her travel costs, per diem, lodging, gas costs etc.?

It's been more than 30 years since I computed a military travel claim.

Your answer should be available at 051003. Service Member on Active Duty who Retires, is Placed on the TDRL, is Discharged with Severance or Separation Pay, or is Involuntarily Released with Readjustment or Separation Pay and Associated Dependent Travel ...
at LINK <--- and pages starting at 5B-35

Offhand...the retiree and the dependents do not have to travel at the same time.
If I remember correctly, the distance allowed is to the home he/she selects (which one can choose currently) or place entered active duty. This should be confirmed by reviewing the Joint Travel Regulations which are cited above.

I would have to re-educate myself in travel computations to offer comments regarding amounts of reimbursement.

Good luck,
Ron

It's been more than 30 years since I computed a military travel claim.

Your answer should be available at 051003. Service Member on Active Duty who Retires, is Placed on the TDRL, is Discharged with Severance or Separation Pay, or is Involuntarily Released with Readjustment or Separation Pay and Associated Dependent Travel ...

Offhand...the retiree and the dependents do not have to travel at the same time.
If I remember correctly, the distance allowed is to the home he/she selects (which one can choose currently) or place entered active duty. This should be confirmed by reviewing the Joint Travel Regulations which are cited above.

I would have to re-educate myself in travel computations to offer comments regarding amounts of reimbursement.

Good luck,
Ron

For ETS , it covers travel to no farther than returning to the place entered active duty. For retirees it still is to any place in the CONUS and if travelling CONUS to OCONUS, you are compensated to the extent of the most expensive travel of a CONUS move.

If the cost of your move exceeds this rate, you cover the overage, if you are ETS'ing to a different location, you will be compensated at the equivalent of moving back to the place of enlistment, if it costs more - you again cover the overage. (This is all AFTER THE FACT compensation unless you ask for advance of payment).

His case was for retirement. "Finally, I have been approved for medical separation and retirement "

051003. Service Member on Active Duty who Retires, is Placed on the TDRL, is Discharged with Severance or Separation Pay, or is Involuntarily Released with Readjustment or Separation Pay and Associated Dependent Travel ...

Ron

Ooops, I had the title stating ETS in my mind and missed the by way of retirement in the subject. Thank you

PCS rules apply to separation travel.