Will I get to 20 Years?

jhar2003

Registered Member
Here's my situation.
My 20 year mark is April 2nd, a little bit more than 2 months away. I am currently pending a FPEB for May 12. I also have more than 90 days of leave built up.

I was advised by one legal advisor that if I decide to waive FPEB prior to my 20 year mark, I may not make the 20 year retirement. The other advisor told me that I have nothing to worry about because my leave would push me past that April 2nd date.

Has anyone dealt with this situation before?

Provis

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
You are in a great position. What is your current IPEB results? Is your DOD 30% or higher? Regardless of that answer I would wait just a little bit and then rescind the FPEB just for peace of mind. Maybe rescind on March 1? When they cut orders they will put a NLT date of at least 60 days out. That way if something funky happens you are pretty much guaranteed to hit 20 years.

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Just an interesting observation.

On another site for veterans, “reaching 20 years“ = 20 active duty years for a regular retirement (usually)

This site: “reaching 20 years” = 20 good years for a non-regular retirement (usually). Reserve/NG

Different customers.

Ron

Last edited:

tony292

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Your 90 days of leave will save you, plus you still have two more appeals you could do to take more time, a VARR and disability agency review. You will be fine.

jhar2003

Registered Member
Thanks. I think what has the attorney spooked was the verbiage in the PEB's recommendation memo that he just noticed yesterday. It recommends 10% compensation only and does not mention recommending me to reach retirement. He said another guy he's working with, same situation, had the verbiage of compensation + recommend to reach retirement. He doesn't know why there's a difference and also seemed aggrevated I was asking why/how we got to this stage and just noticed this.

Attorney requested in the waiver memo (which I have denied using ATT) that the FPEB allow me to reach 20 years, but said they could decide to give me just 10% compensation. I think my bigger questions now are "does the FPEB have that authority to not let me get to my 20 year mark in this situation? "

It's all very confusing, and the Army attorney can't give me a straight answer on what he thinks I should do. I don't think anyone I've worked with in this IDES process knows what they're doing either

Provis

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Thanks. I think what has the attorney spooked was the verbiage in the PEB's recommendation memo that he just noticed yesterday. It recommends 10% compensation only and does not mention recommending me to reach retirement. He said another guy he's working with, same situation, had the verbiage of compensation + recommend to reach retirement. He doesn't know why there's a difference and also seemed aggrevated I was asking why/how we got to this stage and just noticed this.

Attorney requested in the waiver memo (which I have denied using ATT) that the FPEB allow me to reach 20 years, but said they could decide to give me just 10% compensation. I think my bigger questions now are "does the FPEB have that authority to not let me get to my 20 year mark in this situation? "

It's all very confusing, and the Army attorney can't give me a straight answer on what he thinks I should do. I don't think anyone I've worked with in this IDES process knows what they're doing either
Just wait until you hit 20 years and the rescind the FPEB. That's the easiest way to ensure you are good to go!