WTU benefits?

Frank the tank

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
whats the benefits of going to a WTU over staying in your unit while going though a MEB for someone with serve PTSD?

minerda

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
The benefit is the focus on health care, however, you may not like it…. If I could have stayed in my unit I would have… Only if I had access to good health care and my unit was understanding of what I was going through.

Busyarmymom

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
After a very long discussion, that has been moved, there really isn't a benefit to moving to a WTU. Some people will say yes, but, IN MY OWN OPINION, if you are a mature adult, you should stay in your own unit if you can. Not everyone has the family support, and the energy to fight the politics which happens in a WTU. --- SO, in my own, very small, opinion, if your regular unit is supporting you, then stay in your regular unit.

BTW -- All the benefits available to you at a WTU are available to you in your regular unit. The only caveat to that is, if you are in a WTU your appointments are moved up faster for specialty appointments

at_a_canter

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I think the benefits are HUGE compared to being on line and waiting for the process. It has nothing to do with being a mature adult. Its excruciating for someone with Chronic PTSD (myself) to be stuck in the limbo that can occur when you remain in a unit during MEB.

1. Your squad leader's (doesn't matter what your rank is you will have one) and chain of command's only focus is making sure you make your appointments and to help with ANYTHING they can. In a line unit - sure your COC wants you to make your appointments and such, but they still have a job to do and want you to do your job. So there will always be the added pressure of "sure you can make that appointment, but keep in mind we have an FTX that day/week" etc.

2. The WTB im at is far more understanding and forgiving when it comes to certain symptons of PTSD; anger, anxiety, fatigue etc.

3. WTB specific programs and benefits - The army has/is investing so much money on taking care of its wounded, its ridiculous (in a good way). There are so many programs offered here at my WTB that are exclusive to transitioning soldiers. In my case, I want to get through my MEB and get on with my life ASAP (I'm sure this is everyone's thought). One of the best benefits IMO is WTB soldiers take priority for all appointments. Need a behavioural health appt? I got one 1-2 weeks out as opposed to 3-4 weeks out for non WTB. The time will add up!

There's so many more benefits. I haven't even started on the working programs or schooling programs.

*disclaimer: im not sure if all the WTBs are the same

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">