WTU unit far from family!

SGT SILVA

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Since there is not WTU where is my family located what should I expect ? I am about to get orders to leave Korea. Once I get to my WTU I will be dealing with buy a car and find a place to live. They will gave time to adjust myself? Will I live on barracks ? How does that works?
Thanks

This sounds like a S-1 question..

The WTU @ JBLM has new (3 year-old) barracks buildings located within 2 short walking blocks to the main JBLM hospital (Madigan).

The one room I stayed at there had a common main door entrance/area that separates two bed rooms. You unlock that door and enter the "common area" - which is the kitchen & small living room. The two bedrooms are separated by the "common area". My bedroom had a full bath (NO tub, but has an ADA walk/roll-thru shower). Plus, it was wired for internet and had a built-in wall desk and chair for your computer (get a surge protector!).

There was a TV in the common area and in my bed room (small flat screens).

The WTU barracks @ WTU JBLM are really the nicest barracks I had ever had to stay in with the Army. You can easily walk to Madigan hospital. There is parking for your vehicle (if you have one). Bus transportation was available to major points on post.

Because I was temporary (under 30 days @ the barracks), and, because they were so new, there wasn't a pot or a pan or any dishes or utensils at all for the kitchen. Kitchen had stove, oven, refer, microwave, dishwasher. I was issued basic Army bedding. I had to buy towels, so bring towels and surge protector and alarm clock. There was night stands and a tall dresser. I didn't have anyone in the second bed roon area, so I pretty much had this space to myself.

There's more, but you can go to WTU JBLM web site (I think) and cruise the info. Or just look up JBLM and see if they have a sub-section.

Don't know which WTU you're going to, so just posting what I know about the newer WTU barracks @ JBLM (Ft.Lewis).

You can always rent a car on the week-ends. Why buy one when you really don't need a car 24/7?

My info is 3 years old, so maybe someone up at JBLM/WTU can update this data.

The barracks was a very nice place to stay - for Army standards anyway. But there wasn't a pot or pan or glasses or dishes or utensils for the kitchen. Hopefully that has changed.

nwlivewire

Last edited:
The WTU will provide you with a room, transportation is available. If you can complete TAP (ACAP) now I would this will give you time for internships. IF your not close to family I would try for one on the larger WTU bases (Hood, JBLM, SAMC) there are better opportunity for job placement. WTU soldiers ar monitored very closely but it's not that bad.

Jason

The WTU will provide you with a room, transportation is available. If you can complete TAP (ACAP) now I would this will give you time for internships. IF your not close to family I would try for one on the larger WTU bases (Hood, JBLM, SAMC) there are better opportunity for job placement. WTU soldiers ar monitored very closely but it's not that bad.

Jason
Thanks so much for the information! I may going to Ft Lewis!