WTUs???

ranger2992

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
You are correct. The SFAC is a consolidated center of all soldier services. Personnel services, Finance, Department of Labor, VA, and other smaller assistance agencies. It's like a one-stop shop for everything a wounded warrior needs. Of note, I was told by my friends that work in the WTU, SFAC is now open to all Army MEB/PEB soldiers. This may be a Drum policy, so a phone call over there would be your best course of action before showing up. It's a great service. Use it if you can.

Warrior644

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Upon reading the posts within this thread, I notice the use of the term "SFAC" and believe submitting an inquiry still remains within the scope of this original thread. If not, in advance, I extend my deepest apologies.

With that all said, what is the meaning of the term SFAC? What is the purpose of a SFAC?

In retrospect, I am still awaiting an approval decision for acceptance then transfer into a WTU, and the advantages seem to outweigh the disadvantages for me at least.

Best Wishes!
SFAC is the Soldier Family Assistance Center I believe. (I'm still new to the WTU, so still getting the acronyms slightly wrong)
You are absolutely correct, as I later found out! But, appreciate the reply post nevertheless. To that extent, welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

As you may already know, the Soldier and Family Assistance Center (SFAC) provides integrated support services for Warriors in Transition and their families; and it is conveniently located near the Warrior in Transition Unit.

Thus, possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer.

Best Wishes!

daveesl77

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I asked this on a different thread, but perhaps I should have done it here. New to the site so please forgive the double. Quick overview, son-in-law is stationed in Korea (RA), has been for 18 months. PCS is end of this year. Daughter, also RA and also in Korea, PCS at same time, going to Campbell. SIL sustained a pretty severe back injury during a field exercise. MIR shows 3 ruptured/herniated discs, possibly another in neck area, but not diagnosed yet. Has been on medical profile for about a month (no PT, no body-armor, no deployment, etc). He just finished his second year of a 6 year enlistment. Wants to stay in the Army if possible.

His med people in Korea have told him that if he doesn't get better in the next 30 days they may begin MEB process and he will probably be medically discharged. Phys Therapy isn't going to help an injury like this, only disc replacement surgery, I know from personal experience. Just found out about the WTU.

So, question is, should he try for a transfer to WTU at Campbell (I assume it exists from reading previous posts), since his spouse will be stationed there. If so, when should he begin the process - now or after the end of this 30 day evaluation he is presently under or if a MEB is initiated. Since his spouse will be at Campbell, can he request that?

Thanks for any info

dave

jcw101

Registered Member
I would emphasize getting transferred to WTU at Campbell first. I've been told repeatedly (and seen it in the AR) that once the med board processes begins, it continues at the location it began until complete. It can be waivered, anything can, but it's a hairy mess to get that to happen. Getting WTU to WTU transfer is easy before the med board starts, especially if spouse is on orders to Campbell.

daveesl77

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
You people are simply amazing! My counterpart on the other Army board told me that this board was a life-saver for his son, who after 4 IED hits was medically discharged (100%). He was a medic with an EOD unit and you kind people helped them make the correct decisions throughout the entire process. I can see he was not exaggerating. Thank you so much for this site!

dave

NDBravehart84

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
SFAC is the Soldier Family Assistance Center I believe. (I'm still new to the WTU, so still getting the acronyms slightly wrong)
Your Correct. Soldiers at Ft Knox could do their duty day there (SFAC) taking classes... Family visits were encouraged... passes were granted for travel home... Activities were planned for sporting events, shows, etc. The one down fall was because suicides. Accountability is a very serious primary deal everyday... :cool:

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">