Are you going to miss the military

I guess I have a different view than most. I will be just under 19 when all is said and done. When I joined the AF in 95 it was not only a lot different military but the country was also a lot different. I've watched as the difference between right/wrong has become blurry, people compromise their beliefs for the sake of political correctness, and all of this has spread into the military. I no longer enjoy being in the AF that I once loved, at one time we fought against "evil communism", now we use our resources to spy on our fellow citizens. Our politicians are so polarized that they can't agree on a budget, and use the military for political gain. There are plenty of good people that I will miss, but I will not miss the military as a whole. I joined with a want to serve my country and help people but found out later that it's a place for people to park their asses for 20 years and not care about anything but getting promoted. I look forward to civilian life and the return of my constitutional rights.

On a political front I agree with you, I also agree it is not the AF I joines in 96/7, political correctness and walking on eggshells has become the norm. The only thing that gets me through, is I know the I am still fighting for those ideals, those dreams, that constitution that I have swore to uphold. I too have served with/under many who are only there because getting out even past 20, would be too much work, and they just take what ever comes from on high and dump it on the Airman, they do nto rock the boat, they live in glass houses etc. etc., However the country still needs patriots, those loyal to the idea and concept of America, the belief that the states gave birth to the federal government not the other way around. We can get it back, and soon we will have our freedoms or speech back and out from under the hatch act etc. I long dreamed of what I would say at my retirement ceremony, my daughters playing the national anthem on the baratone horn and trumpet my previous commanders and peers by my side etc. Until this last year, there is nothing in it for me anymore, I will be declining my ceremony and those letters from an admin I cannot respect will be going into the file cabinet. There is Oathkeepers and the VFW/Legion depending on what type of atmosphere your looking for, if you want lobbying and politics the AL/VFW are fine, I believe the Oathkeepers to be a more direct and more action oriented fraternity that I am looking forward to working with.

All 27 years
tied together
In one way or another
Too much to try to forget
or leave behind
I have decided
that
I will remain
In active service or not
I will carry it
I will keep it
In my heart
In my mind
For as long
As God lets me
I will remain

-Shane P

To those who feel the military has changed and they have to "PC" and walk on eggshells. You should be PC when holding a postion of power and your actions and words reflect on your Country. You should know the line between right and wrong. Sorry that it upsets you that the "old boys club" had to be done away with. The line between right and wrong is not blurry. It is very dark and definite. The whole, who you know and who likes you to protect you when you are inappropiate needs to be done away with.

Take it from me. I have been raped, assaulted, stalked, threatened, ect. All by those who felt protected by the "old boys club". It is not appropriate for NCOs to tell their airmen they would F*** them if they weren't married, pretend to be pleasuring themselves when you walk by at work and told by the shirt to give me paper work to shut me up because I said it made me uncomfortable and I would report it if it happened again. Having her nipples pinched at a senior NCOs going away, by said senior NCO, and asked "when am I finally going to see those?", and everyone at work finding it funny. Becoming pregnant and having all the 'guys" at work going through you medical records illegally to find out if you are and then making bets about you with fellow co workers about if you are going to keep the baby. Being in Iraq and on top of being in fear of dying from rocket and mortor fire, having to worry about the guy raping girls in his gas mask, when he is supposed to be by your side helping to keep fellow service members/Americans safe. Being "arrested" for not going to work, when I was at a mandatory household survey appointment, because I reported illegal activity at work.

No I will not miss the military. And things do need to finally change. It should not be the military it was 15 years ago. It should be better and improved. It needs to stop ignoring and deflecting their faults and fix them.
Hell yeah you should be PC, because all this should not have happened to anyone, let alone a 12 year veteran with superb EPRs and metals.

I am proud of all I've done, accomplished, and survived. But knowing what I do now, I would not have made this choice. Especially if I have the choice to keep my health instead of deteriorating for a Company that no longer cares about what happens to me after they used me and spit me out. Thanks for the 28 month wait for my VA rating when I was medically retired. Glad to know you didn't care if I could live and take care of myself, being 90% broken as you say.

To those who feel the military has changed and they have to "PC" and walk on eggshells. You should be PC when holding a postion of power and your actions and words reflect on your Country. You should know the line between right and wrong. Sorry that it upsets you that the "old boys club" had to be done away with. The line between right and wrong is not blurry. It is very dark and definite. The whole, who you know and who likes you to protect you when you are inappropiate needs to be done away with.

Take it from me. I have been raped, assaulted, stalked, threatened, ect. All by those who felt protected by the "old boys club". It is not appropriate for NCOs to tell their airmen they would F*** them if they weren't married, pretend to be pleasuring themselves when you walk by at work and told by the shirt to give me paper work to shut me up because I said it made me uncomfortable and I would report it if it happened again. Having her nipples pinched at a senior NCOs going away, by said senior NCO, and asked "when am I finally going to see those?", and everyone at work finding it funny. Becoming pregnant and having all the 'guys" at work going through you medical records illegally to find out if you are and then making bets about you with fellow co workers about if you are going to keep the baby. Being in Iraq and on top of being in fear of dying from rocket and mortor fire, having to worry about the guy raping girls in his gas mask, when he is supposed to be by your side helping to keep fellow service members/Americans safe. Being "arrested" for not going to work, when I was at a mandatory household survey appointment, because I reported illegal activity at work.

No I will not miss the military. And things do need to finally change. It should not be the military it was 15 years ago. It should be better and improved. It needs to stop ignoring and deflecting their faults and fix them.
Hell yeah you should be PC, because all this should not have happened to anyone, let alone a 12 year veteran with superb EPRs and metals.

I am proud of all I've done, accomplished, and survived. But knowing what I do now, I would not have made this choice. Especially if I have the choice to keep my health instead of deteriorating for a Company that no longer cares about what happens to me after they used me and spit me out. Thanks for the 28 month wait for my VA rating when I was medically retired. Glad to know you didn't care if I could live and take care of myself, being 90% broken as you say.

The things that happened to you are repulsive and have no place in todays military less lone in the military 15yrs ago. I apologize that you have had to go through everything that you endured but I also know that my apology is seemingly meaningless but I do truly apologize.

When I say I won't miss the military I mean the massive amounts of micromanagement. I actually had a SNCO tell me back when I was an E-2 ten years ago that he couldn't take it anymore and he felt like he was a SrA again because he couldn't let his guys leave work 15 minutes early if they busted their asses all day long. I always hated doing things the way the crusty SNCO said even though he's an idiot and you and everyone else know it but you have to do it his way or your life will be hell, and the days of the people who went to Honor Guard more than they actually worked in their AFSC's and they got promoted and never truly never knew their jobs and end up being the SNCO I explained earlier.

For me there never was a clear and definite line in the sand and the rules were always subject to being twisted by whoever's interpretation that was trying to use them against you. When I PCS'd my first time it was like I joined a whole different AF than what I was accustomed to but the funny things is that the AFI's never changed.

Sexual assault and mis conduct never have and never will have a place in the military, you speak of one section of "pc" which is neccessary, but there are many many many other examples where being guilty of being a male is enough evidence to hold you guilty. I was accused of racism, until I showed the colonel my NAACP award for ethnic hiring practices and my Tuskegee airmans coin for my work with them. I had a female report me for "sexism" because I told her she needed to get out and learn her job being a maintainer instead of always volunteering for inside jobs, turns out she finally got "it" after a long discussion were I explained i felt it wrong that female maintainers always got stuck being "secretaries" instead of doing and learning what they signed up for and I was trying to correct that. but again because I am a male, i was guilty until proven innocent. You speak of proffesionalism in leadership roles, your right it is essential, and it should be equatable treatment across the board, but often leaders hands are tied and decisions are made because such and such might get offended, when in reality they are trying to do the exact opposite. the prevention of crimes is very important, but destroying what short heritage and ceremony we have as an AF is wrong, the destroying of the "team/family" building concept of leadership is destroyed by fear and "perception". I did my best as a leader to bring everyone to the table, from the awkward nerdy gaming kid to the "princess" that never had to work because some ol chief made her eye candy in the corner doing the file plan. I have testified against commanders whom I once respected for actions like you mentioned, and I have defended those that I felt were wrongly accused because someone would take advantage of the system to get themselves out of trouble. I assure you the day that we were no longer allowed to call our enemy "the enemy" and had to put "agressive forces" on intel reports etc. was the day the military died for me, we have become Men and Women serving at the pleasure of politicians who use us for collateral in elections and photo-ops only to be trotted out in case of emergency. Again I know crimes are done, I know there is wrong in the world and in our military, there is no place for that, but the application of blanket policy or the assignment of blame and/or labels to the masses is never an effective way to govern or lead a force once you have built them up after basic/boot/ait etc.

The things that happened to you are repulsive and have no place in todays military less lone in the military 15yrs ago. I apologize that you have had to go through everything that you endured but I also know that my apology is seemingly meaningless but I do truly apologize.

When I say I won't miss the military I mean the massive amounts of micromanagement. I actually had a SNCO tell me back when I was an E-2 ten years ago that he couldn't take it anymore and he felt like he was a SrA again because he couldn't let his guys leave work 15 minutes early if they busted their asses all day long. I always hated doing things the way the crusty SNCO said even though he's an idiot and you and everyone else know it but you have to do it his way or your life will be hell, and the days of the people who went to Honor Guard more than they actually worked in their AFSC's and they got promoted and never truly never knew their jobs and end up being the SNCO I explained earlier.

For me there never was a clear and definite line in the sand and the rules were always subject to being twisted by whoever's interpretation that was trying to use them against you. When I PCS'd my first time it was like I joined a whole different AF than what I was accustomed to but the funny things is that the AFI's never changed.

Usually those who care enough to apologize, are the ones who care enough to never do the action they are apologizing for. :)

Gotta love those 9 levels, who knows less than a 3 level, yet act like they know everything, but can't get anything done.
I'm sorry, but if you deligate to me, that means you trust me enough to get the job done. There should be no micromanaging. I rewarded my Airmen for hard work and attention to detail.

A comment could be inappropriate, yet not make you "racist".

~I explained i felt it wrong that female maintainers always got stuck being "secretaries" instead of doing and learning what they signed up for and I was trying to correct that~
"from the awkward nerdy gaming kid to the "princess" that never had to work because some ol chief made her eye candy in the corner doing the file plan" - Really? That alone is a stereotype and prejudice you have. They contridict each other.

Being male does not make you guilty.

And being female does not make me a "secretary", "princess", or "eye candy" for ANYONE!

"the prevention of crimes is very important, but destroying what short heritage and ceremony we have as an AF is wrong". How is being PC changing any heritage and ceremony? Or are you saying the going away parties should be a free for all.

I have worked with many honorable men that I would love to have by my side. Loyal, honest, honorable men.

But some will never change and some, like any community, is rotten and should not be there.

Having preventative measures should not put you on the defense, unless you feel guilty about something, knowing you need to be on the defense. Sorry if EO and such programs to help us victims of rape and sexual assults and "sexism" and such puts you on the defense and make you feel guilty. but those programs are definitly needed and neccessary. Even though they are our only avenue and don't even work. Don't worry, EO always says got to the IG, the IG always says we leave it up to the commander, and the commander always says , "Is it one of my boys?" sweep it under the rug and ignore it happened and tells the children to "play nice"

Glad your airmen had someone look into their reports, because most of the time it never happens.

I never once had anyone end up doing the right thing, when I've been wronged over and oer again. To the point it's affect me so much, I can't be me anymore and I'm just broken.

You are WRONG about it changing for the wrong. These actions need and must be acknowledged, address, and stopped!!!

Last edited:
So we are heading off to left field on this thread. I understand that this is a very serious thing that happened to you Amy, and Twitch, I see you side too, but lets keep this thread on point. I don't want to have a bunch of back and forth in here defending, agreeing, or talking about issues than run much deeper than the topic.

Sorry, I just don't want to see this one hijacked.

Joe

So we are heading off to left field on this thread. I understand that this is a very serious thing that happened to you Amy, and Twitch, I see you side too, but lets keep this thread on point. I don't want to have a bunch of back and forth in here defending, agreeing, or talking about issues than run much deeper than the topic.

Sorry, I just don't want to see this one hijacked.

Joe
sorry. your right, ill stop. :(

Miss the military? I will miss things about the military. But, as a whole, no.

When I first joined, in 1986, I remember my PLT SGT was retiring, and he was telling me "you will know when it is time". Well, it is time for me.

The sad part is, the WTU, and the MED Board process has jaded my entire thoughts on my career. SO many lies, stupidity, and back stabbing occurs during a MED Board, it just makes you see the ugly side of what is supposed to be a good healing time in your career.

I made some very good friends, I made some very good memories, and those I will cherish. Believe it or not, I will actually miss Pay Day runs, and the 3am formation for a range that won't happen until the sun comes up. There is something very special sitting in the bleachers, with all your fellow Soldiers, in the dark waiting for the sun to come up. It is just a very special moment.

The rest of the crap, I will never miss.

12B i miss the military specially blow stuff up and you know what we do to bad people

Met some great people and met some terrible people. Deployment was hard and is something I can be proud of but I'm just ready to have control over my life again and not worry everyday about an inspection, lock down, layout, duty, details and other dumb things.

I made some very good friends, I made some very good memories, and those I will cherish. Believe it or not, I will actually miss Pay Day runs, and the 3am formation for a range that won't happen until the sun comes up. There is something very special sitting in the bleachers, with all your fellow Soldiers, in the dark waiting for the sun to come up. It is just a very special moment.

The little things like that I will miss.

Brings to mind one time coming off of a 24 hr shift at dawn, leaning against the hood of a HMMWV long enough to eat a MRE before crashing, and the BN CDR leaning against the same HMMWV to eat before starting his day. For 15 minutes having a [cold] meal and waiting for the sun to come up over the desert with the boss, except he is carrying on a normal conversation over breakfast...not critiquing or complaining. For 15 minutes its just 2 Soldiers trying to get a bite to eat. Reminded me that everybody is human under the uniform.

Many more memories like that which I will miss. The rest of the headaches I will be forgetting.