CRSC & CRDP

JoePlasm

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hello,
It's been a few years since I was here, I went on TDRL and have been waiting for the re-eval to PDRL before I made any decisions or moves on CDRP or CRSC. Muddying the water is that because my service ending condition was combat related my ret pay is tax free. My understanding is that even though my pay is 80% of my base pay at MEB, I'm limited (somehow?) to my total years of service (maybe because of CRDP) - however my SDP is collected on the 80% amount not my yrs of service amount. (it's all super confusing to me).

I currently receive CRDP - for 22y 1m Active Duty service. I was separated Chap 61 (Crohn's, PTSD, TBI, lack of immune system).

Currently (under CRDP) I take home:
$4,030.38 DoD
$3,772.22 VA (1 spouse, 1 Kid, SMC)
$7,802.60 - Total take home.

I'm trying to sort out if it's worth going through the pain of an CRSC claim (since I qualify for both - I think)

CRSC (data list per Ron G)
1: $6,007.00 (from eRAS)
1a: Yes - Chap 61
2: 80% - Combat Related (V1 Yes, V3 Yes)
3: 22yrs 1 month - all AD
4a: 100%
4b: $3,772.22
4c: Spouse (45), Child (6)
4d: SMC $118.33 (SMC-K)
5: I've no idea where to find/guess this - I haven't applied because I'm trying to figure out if its worth the time (i.e. it's more than CRDP)
6: None Was Chap 61, while still under service obligation could not have voluntarily retired for another 3 years
7: No to REDUX
8: No to Blended Ret

Thanks folks, let me know if I missed something.

Hello,

Currenty,

$4,030.38 DoD

1. With CRSC:
Your retired pay will be reduced by 3772.22
2. Your CRSC will replace the amount shown in the VA comp tables for your approved CRSC percentage. If the percentage is less than the VA percentage, you likely will lose money.

Ron

So it sounds like the best i could even do is break even with my current pay, but likely I would lose if CRSC is anything less then 100%? (If I'm understanding point 2 correctly)

Actually let me make sure something first. Am I subtracting the VA amount (3772.22) form the base retired pay ($6007) pre VA offset and SRB, or form the current amount I'm taking home? My math above may be wrong I tried it subtracting from my current pay, not the pre offset pay.

It would be gross retired pay minus the amount of VA compensation.

If their is any residual (left over) retired pay, you keep it.

Your CRSC will never be more than CRDP, but can be less.

Ron

Edited to add: CRSC is nontaxable.

Last edited:
Your CRSC will never be more than CRDP, but can be less.

That's what I was looking for. Thanks so much. Will save me a ton of hassle finding files and heart burn waiting on HRC to do its thing.

As always your an amazing resource, thanks for what you do here.

Happy we can help…Ron

Gross Pay $4019
Minus VA waiver $1124
Minus taxes/VGLI $280

70DOD/100VA

Can you explain why I have the VA waiver subtracted from my retired pay?
I am currently in my tdrl re-evaluation window.

I was explained that although I was 70% DOD I cannot make more than my longevity this is why is have the VA subtraction. Being that I retired at 20 years I cannot receive more than 50% DOD for pay purposes (although I’m 70% DOD). Does this sound correct?

Gross Pay $4019
Minus VA waiver $1124
Minus taxes/VGLI $280

70DOD/100VA

Can you explain why I have the VA waiver subtracted from my retired pay?
I am currently in my tdrl re-evaluation window.

I was explained that although I was 70% DOD I cannot make more than my longevity this is why is have the VA subtraction. Being that I retired at 20 years I cannot receive more than 50% DOD for pay purposes (although I’m 70% DOD). Does this sound correct?

Yes, that's pretty much it. Mine for example was 80%, my 22 and change gave me something like 55.4% 'retired' (Longevity) pay. In exchange for getting ALL the VA pension at 100%, you don't receive the DoD "disability pay" (for simplicity of verbiage) instead you get your retirement amount.

Effectively your saying " Hey Army please pay me only retirement and not DoD disability, so that I can receive my VA disability instead".
The VA pay for 100% will be more then the difference between your 20yrs (50%) and the 70% the Army rated you at. My VA payment is almost double the amount i waved (difference between 55 and 80%).
One thing to be aware of though, if you do SDP, you are paying a premium on the disability amount (70%) pre taxes and pre offset. So the amount will seem larger than it should be. But if something ever happens to you, your spouse/child(ren) will receive their SDP payments on the DoD Disability % not your retirement %. (I.e. my wife will get 55% of my 80% disabaility, instead of 55% of my 55% Ret).

Hope that helps

You’re awesome! Thank you so much!

Let’s just say during my re-evaluation they drop me to 50% DOD or lower, I’ll just receive my normal retirement percentage of 50% regardless right?

I got married after I retired so I wasn’t able to do sbp.

Again, thank you!

Yes correct, you cannot drop below what you earned from normal retirement.

Hello,

Currenty,

$4,030.38 DoD

1. With CRSC:
Your retired pay will be reduced by 3772.22
2. Your CRSC will replace the amount shown in the VA comp tables for your approved CRSC percentage. If the percentage is less than the VA percentage, you likely will lose money.

Ron
You can lose money with CRSC? For instance, if he were to apply for CRSC, DFAS would pay him at $3777.22 instead of saying he gets $0 through CRSC and keeping everything the same. I thought the only downside to applying for CRSC was time and potential rejection.

You can lose money with CRSC? For instance, if he were to apply for CRSC, DFAS would pay him at $3777.22 instead of saying he gets $0 through CRSC and keeping everything the same. I thought the only downside to applying for CRSC was time and potential rejection.
The DFAS will automatically pay the higher of CRSC and CRDP.

Yes, one can lose money if the approved CRSC percentage is less than the VA compensation percentage and the retiree chooses the lesser.

CRDP restores waived retired pay for all service-connected disabilities not to exceed the longevity portion of retired pay.
CRSC replaces waived retired pay for ONLY approved combat related disabilities, not to exceed the longevity portion of retired pay.

I purposely chose CRSC at one time even though the CRSC was less than the CRDP amount. Reason: I was still working and based on my personal computation, the nontaxable aspect of CRSC reduced my overall taxable income substantially. I came out ahead. I was working at a university at the time plus I had my regular retirement from the Army (which involved at different times, CRDP or CRSC.

Ron