During meb/peb process. Got flagged for ht/wt failure. Suppose to hit SPC today but I’m flagged. How can I get flag removed? Hlp please!!!

GMan how much percent were you over on your body fat percentage? Most of my later career I was 40-50 lbs overweight but I was able to pass my Tape test based on how my body was built. Ensure that you continue to adhere to the progress they counseled you on so they don’t start a Overweight chapter. Medboards can take awhile so hang on. The reason I ask about body fat is because there are a lot of tricks that can be done if you are close to the mark. If you can focus on your body fat percentage if you are close you may be able to request a retape. Your unit should be retaping you every time they counsel you on your progress. Just a thought in case you close on your body fat. Otherwise like noted above if your medical condition is causing your weight gain you can request a memorandum thru your PCM stating so, but it has to be pushed up and approved higher.
Over by like 8% too much with a month left. Impossible? No. With my chapter and nco’s who love to accuse malingering, yes impossible.

Re: "Have you seen this type of case exactly? I’ve searched a lot and haven’t heard of anyone really with the med board then flag preventing promotable status resulting in less severance pay situation? "

No...however, if one is flagged they will not be promoted in that status, med board or not.

I saw several soldiers leave the Army due to bars to reenlistment. None of the cases involved a CH 61...they were just discharged.

I saw quite a few soldiers in the weight control program or the name of the program 30 years ago. I kept good records as it was my nature and a requirement.

I had a regular retirement.

Ron
To update you, the information must’ve changed over the years since you were in. Talked to legal a second time to a person who actually did their job and didn’t read off the regulation number. This person stated they actually had a reg posted on their bulletin stating how a soldier cannot be denied promotion during a medboard even if they don’t meet standards.

To update you, the information must’ve changed over the years since you were in. Talked to legal a second time to a person who actually did their job and didn’t read off the regulation number. This person stated they actually had a reg posted on their bulletin stating how a soldier cannot be denied promotion during a medboard even if they don’t meet standards.
Thank you and yes, many things have changed.

Medical Evaluation Board (MEB) and Physical Evaluation Board (PEB) <—-LINK

“Soldiers in the U.S. Army Warrior Care and Transition Program (WCTP) and U.S. Army Wounded Warrior Program (AW2) who are promotable and are pending referral to a Military Occupational Specialty Administrative Retention Review (MAR2), Medical Evaluation Board (MEB) or Physical Evaluation Board (PEB) will not be denied promotion on the basis of medical disqualification if they are otherwise qualified for promotion. “

“Soldiers who have been conditionally promoted but are unable to meet the condition of their promotion solely because of a medical condition that results in a finding of “unfit” by the Physical Disability Evaluation System (PDES) will not be subject to administrative reduction if otherwise qualified to retain promotable status.”

It appears that the “medical condition” is a factor in determining to promote or not. If the solder’s weight control challenge is due to a medical finding of unfit, then he can be promoted in my newly formed opinion. If the weight control flag is due to non-medical reasons, it seems he/she remains in a non-promotable status.

Army Regulation (AR) covering promotions
AR 600-8-29 (Officer Promotions) and AR 600-8-19 (Enlisted Promotions and Reductions)

Promotion at the Time of Retirement or Separation
Per the provisions of 10 USC 1372, Soldiers on a promotion list at the time of retirement for disability will be retired for disability at the promotion list grade. Further, the Soldier will be promoted to the designated grade effective the day before placement on the retired list.

Per the provisions of 10 USC 1212, Soldiers who are on the promotion list at the time of separation for disability with entitlement to disability severance pay will be paid such compensation at the promotion list grade. Further, the Soldier will be promoted to the designated grade effective the Soldier’s separation date.

The guidance above also pertains to Active Army Soldiers who have reached the time-in-service and time-in-grade requirements for the next level of automatic promotion (PV2 to SPC), provided Soldiers do not have pending suspension of favorable personnel actions.

Ron

“Soldiers in the U.S. Army Warrior Care and Transition Program (WCTP) and U.S. Army Wounded Warrior Program (AW2) who are promotable and are pending referral to a Military Occupational Specialty Administrative Retention Review (MAR2), Medical Evaluation Board (MEB) or Physical Evaluation Board (PEB) will not be denied promotion on the basis of medical disqualification if they are otherwise qualified for promotion. “

“Soldiers who have been conditionally promoted but are unable to meet the condition of their promotion solely because of a medical condition that results in a finding of “unfit” by the Physical Disability Evaluation System (PDES) will not be subject to administrative reduction if otherwise qualified to retain promotable status.”

It appears that the “medical condition” is a factor in determining to promote or not. If the solder’s weight control challenge is due to a medical finding of unfit, then he can be promoted in my newly formed opinion. If the weight control flag is due to non-medical reasons, it seems he/she remains in a non-promotable status.

AR 600-8-29 (Officer Promotions) and AR 600-8-19 (Enlisted Promotions and Reductions)

Per the provisions of 10 USC 1372, Soldiers on a promotion list at the time of retirement for disability will be retired for disability at the promotion list grade. Further, the Soldier will be promoted to the designated grade effective the day before placement on the retired list.

Per the provisions of 10 USC 1212, Soldiers who are on the promotion list at the time of separation for disability with entitlement to disability severance pay will be paid such compensation at the promotion list grade. Further, the Soldier will be promoted to the designated grade effective the Soldier’s separation date.

The guidance above also pertains to Active Army Soldiers who have reached the time-in-service and time-in-grade requirements for the next level of automatic promotion (PV2 to SPC), provided Soldiers do not have pending suspension of favorable personnel actions.

Ron
Haven’t seen this specifically but I looks even better than what I had(though close just this is worded better). Under AR600-8, it is section 1-21 I believe. Promotions for DES soldiers I think. Thanks for the info Ron! Definitely a less stressful transition now.

I know you mentioned it but AR 600-8-19 1-12 5.g

“The guidance at paragraphs 1–20e and f also pertains to all Soldiers who have reached the TIS requirements for the next level of automatic promotion (PV2 to SPC).”

Seems like as long as you meet the TIS for SPC then you are good. Flag or not.

Last edited:
I know you mentioned it but AR 600-8-19 1-12 5.g

“The guidance at paragraphs 1–20e and f also pertains to all Soldiers who have reached the TIS requirements for the next level of automatic promotion (PV2 to SPC).”

Seems like as long as you meet the TIS for SPC then you are good. Flag or not.
Yeah read it through and through. Both medically my profile is a deadman’s, and mentally I am on antidepressants thus causing wt gain.

Your PCM needs to exempt you from height and weight back dating when you started the meds. This will negate the flag.

The only thing missing from RonG post is the fact that in order to qualify for USC 1372 is that the Soldier must be in a promotable status....in other words... not flagged. Your name must be on a promotion list, or you must be in a promotable status... Period.

Instead of wasting your time trying to justify your promotion you’d be much better off spending that time trying to meet the standard and become promotable again.

Ron

A Soldier must be promotable ie. being recommended by a semi central board or recommended by a centralized board in order to get promoted. That soldier would get promoted on his last day of service. Autonatic ADVANCEMENT from E1 to E4 can be blocked by the company commander with a simple DA 4187. The PCM most likely would aide with the Soldier if he was NOT on the overweight program prior to the med board, but if he was than the meds would not have cause him to get flagged. Besides the point,the Soldier in question is also a APFT failure..even if his HT/WT requirements would get waived..he still won't get promoted unless he pass the next record APFT.

A Soldier must be promotable ie. being recommended by a semi central board or recommended by a centralized board in order to get promoted. That soldier would get promoted on his last day of service. Autonatic ADVANCEMENT from E1 to E4 can be blocked by the company commander with a simple DA 4187. The PCM most likely would aide with the Soldier if he was NOT on the overweight program prior to the med board, but if he was than the meds would not have cause him to get flagged. Besides the point,the Soldier in question is also a APFT failure..even if his HT/WT requirements would get waived..he still won't get promoted unless he pass the next record APFT.
Yes.

1. “The only thing missing from RonG post is the fact that in order to qualify for USC 1372 is that the Soldier must be in a promotable status....in other words... not flagged. Your name must be on a promotion list, or you must be in a promotable status... Period.”—Tony292

2. [posted above] “The guidance above also pertains to Active Army Soldiers who have reached the time-in-service and time-in-grade requirements for the next level of automatic promotion (PV2 to SPC), provided Soldiers do not have pending suspension of favorable personnel actions.”—RonG

Ron

Some medical conditions can waive weight.... Talk to your PCM, if appropriate.