Figuring disability percentage

madams1999

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I'm a little confused on figuring a disability percentage for VA. I know they apply each rating against the "remaining whole person", so the percentages don't add up like regular math. Recently, I had a new rating added, but they seem to have bumped me more than the rating should have allowed.

I had a 20% and two 10% ratings, which equals 35.2%, so I was being paid at 40%.

Now I have a new 30% rating added. As I understand it, and the online calculators compute it, that equals 54.64%, as follows:

(30% of 100) + (20% of 70) + (10% of 56) + (10% of 50.4) =
30+14+5.6+5.04 = 54.64

My understanding is that this would round down to pay at 50%, but the new letter shows 60%. I don't want to accept more than I should (and have to pay it back later!).

What am I missing? Thanks

I would have to agree with you. I came up with 54.64%. I'm not sure but this may be what happened. The .64% rounded up to 1% which put you at 55% which would have rounded up to 60%. I'm not sure I would trust this, if nobody know for sure here I would ask the VA. Man, this would worry me as well.

Are the rated conditions that are 10% and 10% for your right knee and left knee, etc.? If so, you more than likely would have the bilateral factor and that would probably explain why you are getting the 60% as opposed to the 50%.

No, the 20% is spinal, 10% neuropathy of the left leg (caused by the spinal damage) and the other 10% is right knee. I also don't understand the bilateral issue. If I were considered bilateral, how does that bump the rating up?

My DAV rep says they are reviewing the file now. I'm concerned they will find that VA made a mistake and they will wind up actually reducing my rating from 60% to 50%. Being unemployed, the hit would be more painful than at other times.

DAV has reviewed the file and confirmed - bilateral issue made the difference. Now, they are reviewing the effective date. It seems unfair to me to hold us responsible for filing a claim on something we receive treatment at VA about for years, yet are never told it is service connected. I am not sure what grounds DAV would use - I'll keep you posted.

My husband's da 199 just came in late today and I was wondering if the 100% permanent rating that is on this form also applies it the Va. as well? The PEBBLO only handed the form to me and said to come back next week to discuss this form so any help would appreciated.

My husband's da 199 just came in late today and I was wondering if the 100% permanent rating that is on this form also applies it the Va. as well? The PEBBLO only handed the form to me and said to come back next week to discuss this form so any help would appreciated.

I can't confirm my assumption, but I believe he should have an overall 100% DoVA rating as well.

It's disconcerting that the PEBLO didn't yield a brief overview of the DA 199 upon official presentation that initiates countdown to make an election of acceptance or non-acceptance.

Thus, upon right opportunity, I have heard the PEBLO's use of the aforementioned tactic more often than not.

Best Wishes!

Under the IDES system, yes- the only way that the PEB could rate at 100% is if the VA supplied ratings that would equal or exceed the 100% rating.