Help! Board Process about to begin and I am lost!

Redracer27

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I just had a permant profile come down with a 3 for my back. It is referring me for an MEB board. What do I do? I don't if that is a fit for duty board or not. Can anyone help me? Thanks:confused:

Sounds like they believe you are unfit for duty. Can you provide some specifics:

1. Branch of service
2. Active, Guard or Reserve
3. Currently on AD?
4. Details of injury, diagnosis and prognosis
5. Years of service (active and reserve/guard time)

Army Reserve not on AD. My back was aggrevated during my deployment. An lod was done, but never completed and of course my records for it are no where to be found. (I was a crossleveled soldier) I have been sent to physical therapy and referred to a pain clinic and seen a chiropractor. The injury was said to be permanent at my last pha appointment. I was not showing very much improvement during physical therapy. MRI was done and nothing was found to be wrong, but the pain is pretty severe and i have limited movement. I have 9 years in service as a reserve with one deployment.

OK - I am confused. They cannot find anything wrong but also state the condition is permanent?

If they cannot find anything wrong, they cannot complete an LOD without a diagnosis of the condition. Are they still trying to determine a cause or are they just treating the symptoms? Have you been to an orthopedic surgeon? Have you asked to get a second opinion?

If they find a diagnosis, then you must follow-up to get that LOD completed. That is a critical piece you will need for your case if you are found unfit for duty.

The initial injury happened over seas. I have been trying to locate a copy of the LOD but have been unsuccessful since the unit I was attached to was a rebuild company only for that deployment. I have seen my own doctors in regards to the condition and have been getting temporary profiles through the Army while treatment was going on. I have been sent for MRI's and Xray's and the whole nine but all of the results are coming back that nothing is wrong. I went to my last PHA appointment and what that provider sent back to the Army said that my condition was permant and would not be getting any better so I was given a permanent 3. I was diagnosed with Lumbago and Chronic back pain. I feel like I am going to be screwed since I don't have that LOD and I don't know what else to do. I have been referred to a pain clinic now, so I am curious to see what that will lead to.

Request that a LOD be initiated ASAP, go to your local MTF and request you record, and prepare your Medical Board Packet.

My closest MTF is a Navy base. They wouldn't have my records I don't think. This is going to be harder then I thought. I just don't want to be screwed over.

Have you filed with the VA for the condition? That would help get it properly documented. If the VA finds the condition service connected, that will help dispute a LOD no or no LOD at all.

Mike

That was actually something else I wasn't sure of. I wasn't sure to go through this proces first then file with the VA or if I should file with the VA before everything with this gets started.

You can file with the VA at anytime. But I have seen somewhere that if you are found disabled over a certain percentage, your unit may put you in a no pay/no points status. I thing the percentage is 40% but I am not sure.

I filed my claim in May 2011 and am still waiting for it to be settled. In the meantime, I am starting my MEB now.

"My closest MTF is a Navy base. They wouldn't have my records I don't think."

This is irrelevant. If you go to the right person at the navy clinic/hospital you should be able to track your records down. I would go to Pat Admin and get the request DD form 877 and have all originals sent to that office. I you have any known whereabouts (bases, medical clinics) that you know of request everthing from everywhere. Sounds sad but I do that all the time. Also when you go to the clinic ask for an AHLTA search for all your visits. That is the system used by all medical clinics (DOD wide except on ships - to much bandwidth) and they can print out all your visits since around 2003 if you had any. Also have your reserve center do some work and get you any records they can find. The info is out there you just have to find the right person to assist you. Funny as it sounds but the whole its better to use honey v vineger does apply.

As Slorcoe said, getting your records in one place will help you in many ways. When you file your VA claim, it will make it easier for them to obtain copies of your records for their evaluation.

Good luck!