Maya Post .....10% DOD 90% VA Disability Severance ?

Maya

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I received my ratings yesterday. FACTS:
18.6 Years AGR (like active duty but for Guard, AF) base pay $4797 or the flat rate of what $4350.
22 Years Military
Ratings: 10% DOD 90%VA
I'm accepting my ratings Thursday. I am so confused on what the pay out will be?
NOT combat Related but YES in line of duty.
Ron G, are you there?

Last edited:
I received my ratings yesterday. FACTS:
18.6 Years AGR (like active duty but for Guard, AF) base pay $4797 or the flat rate of what $4350.
22 Years Military
Ratings: 10% DOD 90%VA
I'm accepting my ratings Thursday. I am so confused on what the pay out will be?
NOT combat Related but YES in line of duty.
Ron G, are you there?
Maya, You are AGR and have over 18 years. Is it not possible for you to remain in service until you get to 20 years of service?

@Maya, it seems like you would be accepting severance after 18.6 years! As @Padgettra pointed out, it might behoove you to investigate staying on to 20 (if you're able to) and get the retirement you well deserve. 30 percent and over on DOD and they would (or should) also be medically retiring you.

Search for “involuntary separation pay chart” and it will show what your DOD payout will be. Then search for VA compensation tables and it will show how much the VA will pay you at 90%.

Also note that if you get the involuntary sep pay, the VA will recoup that, so you won’t get a monthly VA check for years.

I would try to get bumped to 30 DOD and get the medical retirement. Have you submitted a VARR?

Thanks All for looking out for me. I'm lucky enough to have a husband with Tricare (he will retire in about a year and half. So I'm not to concerned about insurance unless we divorced for some reason that I dont forsee at the moment. I have benefits with VA (except dental). I have been through the ringer at work and I'm DONE. I was told in my out brief with VA today that they wont take my severance all upfront, they will take from my monthly compensation at about $133'is per month instead. I was glad to hear that. With my years in service I will have a healthy severence, even at 10%. IF they use the AD formula of 2 months of base pay x yrs of service. My PEBLO said they will calculate points/360 but I think it is for a traditional guardsmen not AGR. This is what I need to know, the diffrence. Everyone is super wonderful on here, and I thank you. I need the DFAS guy to awnswer this

I'm lucky enough to have a husband with Tricare (he will retire in about a year and half. So I'm not to concerned about insurance unless we divorced for some reason that I dont forsee at the moment.

I offer this advice as respectfully as possible, but the most responsible thing you can do for yourself is to insure you have your own benefits and coverages to rely on, you never know what can happen today or tomorrow.

Lucky 208, did you receive severance? If so did this formula ring true?

Lucky 208, did you receive severance? If so did this formula ring true?
Still awaiting VA ratings. The above information is correct for those being rated less than 30%.

Thanks All for looking out for me. I'm lucky enough to have a husband with Tricare (he will retire in about a year and half. So I'm not to concerned about insurance unless we divorced for some reason that I dont forsee at the moment. I have benefits with VA (except dental). I have been through the ringer at work and I'm DONE. I was told in my out brief with VA today that they wont take my severance all upfront, they will take from my monthly compensation at about $133'is per month instead. I was glad to hear that. With my years in service I will have a healthy severence, even at 10%. IF they use the AD formula of 2 months of base pay x yrs of service. My PEBLO said they will calculate points/360 but I think it is for a traditional guardsmen not AGR. This is what I need to know, the diffrence. Everyone is super wonderful on here, and I thank you. I need the DFAS guy to awnswer this

Ok I am confused by this. Everything I have read says that if you get a severance, they take all of your VA disability pay, but you are saying that they are only going to take a portion of your VA pay, not the whole check? I am going through the process and am concerned that I will end up with a similar percentage. Can someone set me straight here?

Ok I am confused by this. Everything I have read says that if you get a severance, they take all of your VA disability pay, but you are saying that they are only going to take a portion of your VA pay, not the whole check? I am going through the process and am concerned that I will end up with a similar percentage. Can someone set me straight here?

I am also confused and I have never heard of this. Anyone with a rating of 90% VA and getting severance, from everything I understand, would not see the VA check for a very long time, until the severance is recouped. @Joker38 This is why any competent legal counsel would advise to push for a medical retirement.

It's absolutely remarkable how much in benefits a service member loses by accepting a severance, especially when a 90% rating clearly shows that member might be deserving of a medical retirement AND ESPECIALLY if that same service member is so close to regular retirement anyways. It boggles the mind.

Also note that if you get the involuntary sep pay, the VA will recoup that, so you won’t get a monthly VA check for years.

As @tony292 stated, this is for all intents and purposes correct. @Maya whoever stated otherwise must have misspoken?

Thank you!
I am also confused and I have never heard of this. Anyone with a rating of 90% VA and getting severance, from everything I understand, would not see the VA check for a very long time, until the severance is recouped. @Joker38 This is why any competent legal counsel would advise to push for a medical retirement.

It's absolutely remarkable how much in benefits a service member loses by accepting a severance, especially when a 90% rating clearly shows that member might be deserving of a medical retirement AND ESPECIALLY if that same service member is so close to regular retirement anyways. It boggles the mind.

As @tony292 stated, this is for all intents and purposes correct. @Maya whoever stated otherwise must have misspoken?

Thank you!

I didn't mean for that to read out the way it did, severance is sometimes the way the hand is dealt.

It's just that I'm at a loss as to why legal representation/assistance isn't provided at every step in the process to help you seek the benefits you deserve. Your signature mentions they attempted to separate you traditionally, you never saw your initial impact statements, filed grievances, missed memo's, etc. etc.

I would have been meeting with a JAG/TDRL lawyer.

They took out depression (world wide qualified) the 10 percent is for the unwitting condition of FIA Hip impingement. My range of motion is not enough to warrant 30, maybe 20% if i fought it. I figured $133 deducted from VA every month (recoupment of 10 percent that Va rated me), that DOD will also pay severance on, is better than over $ 200 a month for a 20% rating. I got some council on that. You can't get paid from both for same thing this the recoupment. I was told from VSO at my out brief that they would take it out as a monthly payment not all at once, so help us God. I have a rating with va ( not a disqualifier) that could easily move up this year, but I dont want to slow the process down too much especially now,(might be waiting on orders and dd214 for a while I hear too. YUP, 18 plus years.... I have fought this medical for over 5 years now ( I'm in the guard, slow process), finally gave up after a new commander pushed it with medical. I had to come to terms with it, started planning the possible outcomes etc. I may not live till I'm 60 to collect my retirement at 60 (20 year letter NG). I'm investing some of the severance to. I will be paying off some stuff to make home life easier, but I do have a plan. My husband has tricare to put me on, like I said before VA medical if needed. I don't need a paper signed from our president to prove my service, I've got scars. I dont live close to a commissary to worry about base access and such. Also my husband will retire AGR in about a year and a half so if we need those bennies they will be there. Many of the benefits are VA driven. I'm over 50% in that department so I will get those. I can still work to. I do have limitations, but there is life out there. Yes, little bittersweet, not what I pictured not even 10 years ago, but I'm adjusting.

I didn't mean for that to read out the way it did, severance is sometimes the way the hand is dealt.

It's just that I'm at a loss as to why legal representation/assistance isn't provided at every step in the process to help you seek the benefits you deserve. Your signature mentions they attempted to separate you traditionally, you never saw your initial impact statements, filed grievances, missed memo's, etc. etc.

I would have been meeting with a JAG/TDRL lawyer.
Oh yes, all I had to do for that was go to the senior on personnel and reminded them I'm AGR. Funny thing actually. However, I got my IG involved last Summer to speed up our clinic. So I could at least get some answers to my future. I accept them.

Oh yes, all I had to do for that was go to the senior on personnel and reminded them I'm AGR. Funny thing actually. However, I got my IG involved last Summer to speed up our clinic. So I could at least get some answers to my future. I accept them.
Are you on TDRL?

OP Arent you in sanctuary status now? you should be. they have to keep you in till 20 years AGR

OP Arent you in sanctuary status now? you should be. they have to keep you in till 20 years AGR

I am pretty sure sanctuary does not protect you from Medical Discharge. I am at 18 years and 9 months and I am worried I wont make 20 years.