Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Veterans’ Reports of Lung Problems Set Off Debate

"Veterans’ Reports of Lung Problems Set Off Debate
By JAMES DAO
Published: June 19, 2011
Many service members report respiratory problems that started during deployment and continued at home."

20lung-337-hpMedium.jpg
The studies cited in the article would explain many of the complaints I have heard over the years about the development of breathing problems after deployment. Particularly interesting is the issue raised about discharges based on failing fitness tests when there would be a possible disability causing the problem. These Soldiers should have been sent to an MEB and PEB for adjudication of their cases.

hey i have a machine just like that, iam a desert shield &storm vet ret in 99 in 2010 i have C.O.P.D.plus on o2 at home v.a. dr tells me cant work no more i put in a claim denied not sevice connected i appealed still denied, what can i do? ty gl to u all

I haven't experienced any breathing problems myself after coming back from Operation Iraqi Freedom. I have been reasonably disappointed by the overall treatment of the government toward returning soldiers and the illnesses that ail them because of their tour of duty. I hope that this is a situation that the government handles responsibly and compassionately. It isn't uncommon for soldiers to report some lung issue after returning from the desert. It began when soldiers laid boots in Iraq during Desert Storm. I can't imagine why they would be shocked that soldiers who are spending more than a year at a time would have some type of condition because of it.

I have lost 6 Airmen (medically discharged not death) to asthma and/or COPD in the last 3 years. Only 2 of them were younger "new", the other 4 where over 4 years of service and 3/4 developed symptoms after return from deployment, the 4th was after 6 months of being back, but it was still counted as deployment related since it was within 1 year.

I have lost 6 Airmen (medically discharged not death) to asthma and/or COPD in the last 3 years. Only 2 of them were younger "new", the other 4 where over 4 years of service and 3/4 developed symptoms after return from deployment, the 4th was after 6 months of being back, but it was still counted as deployment related since it was within 1 year.

I saw a study a few months back out of Europe that said that the gases that come from firing a weapon lead to decreased lung function for as long as 24 hrs after shooting and that long term exposure can cause Asthma and other breathing related problems. Also in the study the tried the new lead free "green ammo" and found it to be no better that ammo containing lead. I also have a friend who is AF AD and he went through an MEB and was allowed to stay in and has Asthma that mysteriously showed up in his early thirties after his second deployment to Afghanistan. He has since been RTD and deployed again...