Obstructive sleep apnea rating

Kirkland87

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I'm diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea and I use a oral appliance that keeps my jaw in place/ no cpap. I've been told two different things but as I understand it's still a breathing device so would I still get the 50%?

It will really depend whether or not the condition causes persistent daytime hypersomnolence, I do not believe that the condition will be rated at 50% like the CPAP users.

Retention standards for Army:

c. Sleep apnea. Obstructive sleep apnea or sleep-disordered breathing that causes daytime hypersomnolence or
snoring that interferes with the sleep of others and that cannot be corrected with medical therapy, nasal continuous
positive airway pressure (CPAP), surgery, or an oral appliance. The diagnosis must be based upon a nocturnal
polysomnogram and the evaluation of a pulmonologist, neurologist, or a privileged provider with expertise in sleep
medicine.
(1) A 12-month trial of therapy with nasal continuous positive air pressure may be attempted to assist with other
therapeutic interventions, during which time the individual will be issued a temporary profile. Soldiers with severe
sleep apnea and/or symptoms may be referred directly for an MEB. If nasal CPAP is required for longer than 12
months, the Soldiers should be profiled as a permanent P2.
(2) If symptoms of hypersomnolence or snoring can not be controlled with medical therapy, nasal CPAP, surgery or
an oral appliance, the individual should be referred for a MEB. If the use of nasal CPAP or other therapies for sleep
apneas result in interference with satisfactory performance of duty as substantiated by the individual’s commander or
supervisor, the Soldier should be referred to a MEB.

Here is a case in which it was only rated at 30% http://boards.law.af.mil/AF/PDBR/CY2012/PD2012 01543.rtf