Laquinda

Registered Member
The PEB first rated me 30% for my back but when the breakdown on VA side didn't match the PEB lowered it and made it 30%. I got hit by a car on base while walking I've been dealing with non stop back pain for 3 years I've had 2 back surgeries all while on active duty. My overall percentage though is 80% should I fight this?

The PEB first rated me 30% for my back but when the breakdown on VA side didn't match the PEB lowered it and made it 30%. I got hit by a car on base while walking I've been dealing with non stop back pain for 3 years I've had 2 back surgeries all while on active duty. My overall percentage though is 80% should I fight this?
What's the percentage breakdown for each condition and what is your ROM?

from the way i understand it. You're VA rating is all of your ratings combined. Where as your DOD rating is only your "disqualifying diagnoses" percentage(s). You can only contest what your disqualifying diagnoses while in the PEB pipeline. everything else you have to fight with the VA over after you get out.

I am currently going through a board for back problems. I have done a TON of reading on this and your ROM is the key factor. Unfortunately they don't give a rats ass about pain, sad but true. Honestly as long as you are 30% or over for your back and they put you on the PDRL then I wouldn't waste your time fighting.

Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

Hmm, are you currently in the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process or the DoD LDES MEB/PEB process? :eek:

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

Unfortunate with back ratings, DoD usually gives out low percentages. I believe 20% is the most common. Back ratings should be rated higher overall IMO. I can barely do any labor without agravating my back. The ROM on a person's back shouldn't be the only tool to measure the disability. At least with 30% DoD, you get retirement benefits. As for the VA side, its hard for us to say fight it without knowing the breakdown of your rated conditions.

Unfortunate with back ratings, DoD usually gives out low percentages. I believe 20% is the most common. Back ratings should be rated higher overall IMO. I can barely do any labor without agravating my back. The ROM on a person's back shouldn't be the only tool to measure the disability. At least with 30% DoD, you get retirement benefits. As for the VA side, its hard for us to say fight it without knowing the breakdown of your rated conditions.

I agree 100% with you. My most crippling condition is my back and it's only rated at 20%. My back pain is quite painful the majority of the day. While walking it feels like I have hot lava running down my spine. While sitting it feels like I have fireworks going across my back because of nerve damage.

I agree 100% with you. My most crippling condition is my back and it's only rated at 20%. My back pain is quite painful the majority of the day. While walking it feels like I have hot lava running down my spine. While sitting it feels like I have fireworks going across my back because of nerve damage.
I know that feeling. My entire back lights up with pain. It feels like every nerve in my back triggers with pain. The back should be rated higher for all veterans. Spine injuries aren't a small problem. 20% isnt a fair compensation.

I know that feeling. My entire back lights up with pain. It feels like every nerve in my back triggers with pain. The back should be rated higher for all veterans. Spine injuries aren't a small problem. 20% isnt a fair compensation.

The spine is the core of our bodies and they treat it like it's not really important. I was given 70% for generalized anxiety and I personally would rate my back injury far far far above my anxiety when considering which one has more of an impact on my daily activities.

The spine is the core of our bodies and they treat it like it's not really important. I was given 70% for generalized anxiety and I personally would rate my back injury far far far above my anxiety when considering which one has more of an impact on my daily activities.
Exactly! I have severe flat feet and will be rated at 50% when my back can barely support my body. Where's the common sense?

Agree 100%, I'm taking 2 medications for my back so I can even sleep half way and ROM is the only way to rate? It should not be the only thing that they look at.

I'd fight it. When were you discharged? Go to the Naval Board of Corrections, however I would most certainly get a hold of an Atty prior to starting it (just to make sure everything going up is good).