Question about RTD

KHELMUTH

Registered Member
My Husband was diagnosed with TBI, PTSD, COPD, Sleep Apnea, High Blood Pressure, and a few other minor things. He was moved to WTU in April of 08, after a huge run around. When it was time to start making decisions, he decided he wanted to stay in so they were going to start an MMRB process, well, he went to an IPEB, and they decided he was not "fit for duty." Okay fine, he accepted that and they decided the best route for him was an MEB, they start all that process and everything, and then send him back to his old unit. No one up there had a clue what was going on with him, they didnt want to help him, they wouldnt let him have a job at the unit, but they wouldnt let him volunteer, or take a job else where because he was a liability. I know there was no way he was deemed "Fit for Duty" before he returned to his unit, and in order for him to be deemed "fit" he would have had to go throuh another board.So my question is, why couldnt they just leave him at the WTU for the duration, instead of causing all kinds of issues by moving him?

KHELMUTH,

Welcome! I wish I could give you an answer. Personnel decisions like where a person performs duty are largely discretionary. They can do pretty much what they want to with this. You can always request a different assignment, place of duty, etc. But, in the end, what drives the ability to challenge many actions is whether or not the decision deprives you of pay (not related to where you serve).

It sounds like there may be some confusion about what process your husband has gone through. A MMRB can recommend an MEB. But the MEB comes before the PEB. If I had to guess, it sounds like he may have gone to an MEB, was found to fail retention standards and is now awaiting a PEB. Did he get a Narrative Summary yet?

Thanks for your response! Your right, it was a TOL board, and not an IPEB, he has his board proceedings back already, and he is going TDRL on the 12th. I was just curious, to me it would have made more sense for him to just stay at WTU while all this was going on, but as you said what they do with personnel is totally discretionary. I am going to the Wounded Warrior Symposium this week in San Antonio, and one of the things weighing on my mind is consistency between cases. I know for us him going back to his unit and having to deal with all that was just one more stressor in our lives that could have been prevented.