Redux over 20

Brokepilot

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Has anyone taken the redux then medical retired over 20? I am being told I retire under the redux even though AR 600-8-7 pg 6-5 and DOD 7000.14R Volume 7B Ch1 010204 says different.

d. DFAS will calculate the retired pay of Soldiers who elect REDUX and later retire for disability under 10 USC 1201 or 10 USC 1202 under the High–3 formula. However, Soldiers retired for disability under 10 USC 61, sections 1201 through 1222 remain subject to the offset required under 38 USC 5304 and 38 USC 5305 for any retired pay they receive that is in excess of the amount of retired pay to which they would be
entitled under any other provision of law based on service in the uniformed services, had they not retired for disability.

The following was written by a member of the VBN site in 2015. It pertains to CRDP for REDUX who later had a medical retirement.

https://vetsbenefits.net/redux-and-concurrent-t147798.html

My understanding on Concurrent receipt, as it applies to CSB/REDUX retirees who have been medically retired, is that the amount paid by either CRSC or CRDP is calculated based on the reduced REDUX multiplier calculation in order to comply with the concurrent receipt restriction found in 10 USC 1414 (b)(1). The premise for the 1414(b)(1) restriction is that any military medical retired pay which is in excess of that earned for years of service is de facto payment for the disability and duplicative of the VA payment for disability.

For those readers not familiar. Redux directs a reduction of 1% in the result of the 2.5% x years of service calculation for each year that the retirement is less than 30 years of service. This results in 40% of base pay at 20 years of service, 57 ½ % at 25 years of service, but the full 75% at 30 and 100% for 40 years of service. After retirement, the annual COLA is also reduced by 1% each year but, there is a recomputation at age 62 when both the multiplier and COLA are adjusted to equal the “High Three” system.

The amount of the military medical disability retirement is calculated, under Method B, using the 2.5% x years of service multiplier without regard for the REDUX provisions as the law governing medical retirements directs this calculation. Method A uses the percentage disability assigned to unfitting conditions to calculate medical retirement. The member gets the higher of the two methods.

Consider a medical retiree who did not opt in to CSB/REDUX and has 20 years of service who is medically retired at 70% of base pay based on Method A. His CRDP is restricted to no more than his longevity retirement - 50% of retirement base . An identical retiree who took REDUX, would also be restricted to no more than his longevity retirement - which is 40% of retirement base .

I would not be surprised if DFAS calculated it differently than I beleive was intended under 1414 but the language and intent of the code is as clear as code gets.

I addressed this issue to DFAS and the response from DFAS, received in October 2015, was:

Question:
A recurring question that I see on various veteran websites concerns how CRDP is calculated when a veteran with more than 20 years service has been retired under Chapter 61 but previously opted for the REDUX system.

When the VA disablity compensation exceeds the chapter 61 retirement amount, is the amount restored by CRDP calculated at the reduced REDUX retirement factor or at the 2.5% per year of service rate used for Chapter 61 purposes?

For example, a retiree has 20 years service and DOD disability finding of 30% disability. The retiree is retired at 50% based on 2.5% per year of service IAW chapter 61. All of his retirement is offset by his VA compensation. His REDUX retirement would be 40%. Is CRDP dollar amount based on the 40% or the 50% factor?

Answer:
The CRDP dollar amount is based on the 40% REDUX retirement. If you would like an audit of your account or have any further questions they may be directed in writing to:

Defense Finance and Accounting Service
U.S. Military Retired Pay
8899 E 56th Street
Indianapolis IN 46249-1200

It was suggested that I pin this material as a reference for those medical retirees who had opted into the REDUX retirement option.
——

My only contribution to the summary above was to suggest it be “pinned” at the top of the CRDP forum on that site.

Ron

I'm being told method B is now the redux percentage. I am at 23 years and being told my retirement will be based on redux. I'm rated at 90% VA 10%DOD. So what they're saying is redux retirement and you're saying my Va entitlement (if I was 100%) could not be more than my medical retirement.

I'm being told method B is now the redux percentage. I am at 23 years and being told my retirement will be based on redux. I'm rated at 90% VA 10%DOD. So what they're saying is redux retirement and you're saying my Va entitlement (if I was 100%) could not be more than my medical retirement.
No, I said nothing about your entitlement. I provided a well-written summary by another veteran. You can visit the site and present a query to him. If it does not help, just ignore it.

Good luck,
Ron

I greatly appreciate your response. I'm just trying to figure it all out. It appears the DOD manual updated in July 2018 showing the change to Redux. However, only section 3 was updated. Section 1 still mentions 2.5%.

I medically retired with over 26 years of active service. I took the redux and yes they do deduct the percentage, I failed to make up, even though small monthly. Now if the regulation has changed on this I am unaware.

Broken Pilot,

It appears that you have 23 years and 1 month active duty rather than 23 years and zero months.

1/12th = 0.08333

23.0833 x 2.5% = 57.71 % multiplier before penalty

30 years – 23.0833 = 6.92 % REDUX penalty

57.71 – 6.92 = 50.79 multiplier

Retirement Office High Three 6533.13 x 50.79 = 3318.17 gross pay

You indicated your VA comp is 2280.

3318.17 gross retired pay – 2280 = 1038.17 residual retired pay

Your gross pay from DFAS will be 1038.17 residual retired pay + 2280 CRDP = 3318.17 (all waived retired pay is restored)

SUMMARY EACH MONTH: $3318.17 from DFAS & $2280 from the VA = $5598.17

Note: SBP and taxes will be collected from the DFAS gross. Also, my initial reply is not pertinent since no DoD disability retired pay is involved (rated at 10%).

Ron

Last edited: