TAMP Eligibility...need some guidance!

jsigler08

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hello All! Today I received from ratings of 10% DOD and 70% VA. Due to my percentage from the DOD I do not qualify to keep my Tricare/Base privileges following separation but I was wondering if anyone knew how I could go about finding out if my wife and children qualify for TAMP? My wife is pregnant and due in July, I really do not want our insurance to lapse right before she gives birth. I am signing my ratings tomorrow or monday so would really like some input from someone who has been through it before. Thanks.

Both you and your dependents will qualify for TAMP. Here is a copy of the details http://www.tricare.mil/tamp

Eligibility

Sponsors and eligible family members may be covered by TAMP if the sponsor is:

• Involuntarily separating from active duty under honorable conditions including:
    • Members who receive a voluntary separation incentive (VSI), or
    • Members who receive voluntary separation pay (VSP) and aren't entitled to retired or retainer pay upon separation.
  • A National Guard or Reserve member separating from a period of more than 30 consecutive days of active duty served in support of a contingency operation
  • Separating from active duty following involuntary retention (stop-loss) in support of a contingency operation
  • Separating from active duty following a voluntary agreement to stay on active duty for less than one year in support of a contingency operation
  • Receiving a sole survivorship discharge
  • Separating from regular active duty service and agree to become a member of the Selected Reserve of a Reserve Component. The Service member must become a Selected Reservist the day immediately following release from regular active duty service to qualify.

The same thing happened to my brother and sister in law. Yes, they were covered for 6 months. After that they were able to use state medical coverage because no one was working, he was a student.