TDRL to PDRL question

Hello all, I am new to the forum though I have been lurking for a little while to find information about TDRL cases. I also just posted this same thread on another forum in error so sorry for that.

I just had a quick question about the transition from TDRL to PDRL.

To give some context, I was rated for 70% DOD service connected disability for MH and was placed on TDRL back in the summer of 2020. I also have overall 80% from VA for my service connected disability and a combo of a couple other conditions. I left the navy through the IDES process and because I hadn't been in for very long, I chose the VA payment because it would pay more than the DOD retirement pay. I had been checking in and waiting for my re-evaluation for a while and they finally scheduled it for early February. I finished my appointment and they sent me an email today which states that I would be moved to PDRL with my DOD percentage being lowered to 30%. I am happy about this because as far as I know, it allows me and my family to keep Tricare and also will not affect the current VA payments that I receive.

My question now is, is there anything else that I need to know about going to PDRL and should I bother to contact a DOD lawyer before I accept these findings? Any advice, or anyone else's experiences are also appreciated. Thank you.

I just have a question about your email stating placement on PDRL. Did you receive officials orders that state you’ve been placed on the PDRL?
I’m current trying to renew my ID and only received orders stating my removal from the TDRL and not the official placement on PDRL.

I just have a question about your email stating placement on PDRL. Did you receive officials orders that state you’ve been placed on the PDRL?
I’m current trying to renew my ID and only received orders stating my removal from the TDRL and not the official placement on PDRL.
No, you don't get orders. You're retired, no orders for retired folks. You will get a letter with instructions on how to take care of the ID card.

Did you receive a physical letter or an email?
I’ve only ever received an email with a “Special Orders” attached to it. Just curious. I’m having a hard time getting a new ID because of it.

Did you receive a physical letter or an email?
I’ve only ever received an email with a “Special Orders” attached to it. Just curious. I’m having a hard time getting a new ID because of it.
How long has it been since you accepted your pdrl findings for your final DOD rating?

Hello all, I am new to the forum though I have been lurking for a little while to find information about TDRL cases. I also just posted this same thread on another forum in error so sorry for that.

I just had a quick question about the transition from TDRL to PDRL.

To give some context, I was rated for 70% DOD service connected disability for MH and was placed on TDRL back in the summer of 2020. I also have overall 80% from VA for my service connected disability and a combo of a couple other conditions. I left the navy through the IDES process and because I hadn't been in for very long, I chose the VA payment because it would pay more than the DOD retirement pay. I had been checking in and waiting for my re-evaluation for a while and they finally scheduled it for early February. I finished my appointment and they sent me an email today which states that I would be moved to PDRL with my DOD percentage being lowered to 30%. I am happy about this because as far as I know, it allows me and my family to keep Tricare and also will not affect the current VA payments that I receive.

My question now is, is there anything else that I need to know about going to PDRL and should I bother to contact a DOD lawyer before I accept these findings? Any advice, or anyone else's experiences are also appreciated. Thank you.
Just to clarify, when you got your 70% DOD rating moved down to 30% it still didn’t change your VA rating? I ask because I’ve wondered what happens when you’re reevaluated and lowered at a later date (VA wise)

Just to clarify, when you got your 70% DOD rating moved down to 30% it still didn’t change your VA rating? I ask because I’ve wondered what happens when you’re reevaluated and lowered at a later date (VA wise)
The VA rates all service-connected disabilities.

The DoD rates only disabilities that make the person unfit for continued service.

Ron

The VA rates all service-connected disabilities.

The DoD rates only disabilities that make the person unfit for continued service.

Ron
Yeah i know that much but doesn’t the VA do the reevaluation for the referred conditions? I was under the impression when a referred condition is lowered on reevaluation that the VA will adjust its disability payment accordingly

Yeah i know that much but doesn’t the VA do the reevaluation for the referred conditions? I was under the impression when a referred condition is lowered on reevaluation that the VA will adjust its disability payment accordingly
Hello @kfill9393

Your question would best be answered by one of the PEB SMEs, including:
@Provis @chaplaincharlie @RetiredColonel-MikeT

I copied the SMEs on this message.

Good luck,
Ron

Last edited:
Sometimes. A lot of times no. If the VA CODE sheet states static they don't expect the condition to improve and so there isn't a RFE (Request for Future Examination). For referred conditions that are TDRL the TDRL exam or review is only by the DOD so that rating won't affect your VA rating for the same condition.

Sometimes. A lot of times no. If the VA CODE sheet states static they don't expect the condition to improve and so there isn't a RFE (Request for Future Examination). For referred conditions that are TDRL the TDRL exam or review is only by the DOD so that rating won't affect your VA rating for the same condition.
Agreed, what typically happens is you get sent to your appointment(s) for your unfitting conditions at a contract provider, the results get sent back to the PEB for determination. Most of the time there's no rating change and the person is put on PDR (there's no "L" as there isn't a "List" that is maintained for future reviews, "PDR", that's it, just a grouchy old retired O-6 pet peeve - lol). This is wholly on DoD, nothing is sent to the VA, in all honesty, all that DoD is determining is "IF" your condition(s) got better and whether or not you should just get the boot with some cash, or be considered FFD, at which time you could, if you so desire, to return to service. You may, however, based upon opening a new claim, could find that condition reviewed (and any other one for that matter) leading to an increase, a decrease or no change.

Agreed, what typically happens is you get sent to your appointment(s) for your unfitting conditions at a contract provider, the results get sent back to the PEB for determination. Most of the time there's no rating change and the person is put on PDR (there's no "L" as there isn't a "List" that is maintained for future reviews, "PDR", that's it, just a grouchy old retired O-6 pet peeve - lol). This is wholly on DoD, nothing is sent to the VA, in all honesty, all that DoD is determining is "IF" your condition(s) got better and whether or not you should just get the boot with some cash, or be considered FFD, at which time you could, if you so desire, to return to service. You may, however, based upon opening a new claim, could find that condition reviewed (and any other one for that matter) leading to an increase, a decrease or no change.
Very thorough. I understand that completely now. Thank you!

What percentage would you say is members TDRL for MH conditions placed on PDRL? Thanks @RetiredColonel-MikeT

What percentage would you say is members TDRL for MH conditions placed on PDRL? Thanks @RetiredColonel-MikeT
You mean, what percentage of TDRL members go PDRL when their condition is MH?

Lots of variables there, man. Most variable is the individual response to treatment. "T" is when the condition is still changing, i.e., responding to treatment. "P" is for if the condition has stabilized. BUT - at the 36-mo point, when DOD has to shit or get off the pot because your TDRL expires, the discussion becomes "P" or severance....in other words, above or below the magic 30% line. So, even if you are still a "T" at 36 mos but you're above 30% disabled, you'll go "P." But, if at that point your condition has improved to the point that you're 20% or less disabled, you'll lose retirement and be separated with severance.

So....I hate this answer, but... It depends.

If you held a gun to my head, I'd say it's a medium high percentage, if you average across the board. Just based on discussions I've seen on multiple forums in the last year or so.

You mean, what percentage of TDRL members go PDRL when their condition is MH?

Lots of variables there, man. Most variable is the individual response to treatment. "T" is when the condition is still changing, i.e., responding to treatment. "P" is for if the condition has stabilized. BUT - at the 36-mo point, when DOD has to shit or get off the pot because your TDRL expires, the discussion becomes "P" or severance....in other words, above or below the magic 30% line. So, even if you are still a "T" at 36 mos but you're above 30% disabled, you'll go "P." But, if at that point your condition has improved to the point that you're 20% or less disabled, you'll lose retirement and be separated with severance.

So....I hate this answer, but... It depends.

If you held a gun to my head, I'd say it's a medium high percentage, if you average across the board. Just based on discussions I've seen on multiple forums in the last year or so.
Pers- thank you, as always. This is the hunch I get too. Interesting how they think a follow up in 6-18 months changes much