VA caregiver and PTSD

jlbbc

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hi,
Im the spouse using my husbands account to get info on VA caregiver program. With his permission of course

I meet the basic 3 question qualifier on the VA website, but I'm curious as to what really qualifies a PTSD caregiver. I don't have to bathe him or brush his teeth. I suppose I'm more of an appointment setter and reminder. Meds reminder. Bill payer. General household running. I schedule car maintenance, his service dog gets walked by me due to other health issues he has. He takes him on short walk or tosses a toy in the yard. I don't worry the house will burn down if he's home alone. I do worry about other things if he's depressed that day, but can no longer live my life based on his depression. My own counseling has taught me my life can't revolve around his depression. Then I just get depressed and suffocate and no one wins anything. I do try to make everything as easy and smooth as possible, but I go to school part time and I spend a day a week with my mother. I do intend to work part time next year. Can a caregiver still qualify if doing part time school or work?
Thanks

Hi,
Im the spouse using my husbands account to get info on VA caregiver program. With his permission of course

I meet the basic 3 question qualifier on the VA website, but I'm curious as to what really qualifies a PTSD caregiver. I don't have to bathe him or brush his teeth. I suppose I'm more of an appointment setter and reminder. Meds reminder. Bill payer. General household running. I schedule car maintenance, his service dog gets walked by me due to other health issues he has. He takes him on short walk or tosses a toy in the yard. I don't worry the house will burn down if he's home alone. I do worry about other things if he's depressed that day, but can no longer live my life based on his depression. My own counseling has taught me my life can't revolve around his depression. Then I just get depressed and suffocate and no one wins anything. I do try to make everything as easy and smooth as possible, but I go to school part time and I spend a day a week with my mother. I do intend to work part time next year. Can a caregiver still qualify if doing part time school or work?
Thanks
Please keep in mind that the DoVA Caregiver Support Program is only a "temporary" program not intended to replace a military veteran's family income. Instead, it's viewed as supplemental personal income for the approved Primary Family Caregiver designee who is either employed (whether, full-time or part-time) or not employed at all. It's officially called a "stipend" while not an entitlement or benefit but rather recognition for the care and support a VA caregiver provides to the military veteran. Unfortunately, the monthly stipend may change or can be discontinued if the military veteran’s care change beyond the required needs due to the sustainment of a serious injury.

Moreover, all Primary Family Caregiver cases are reviewed on a quarterly basis in accordance with DoVA Caregiver Support Program’s guidelines to determine whether the Veteran’s condition still meets the criteria for the program or if his/her condition has improved to where VA caregiver services are no longer needed.

In order to be approved as a Primary Family Caregiver and receive a monthly stipend, all four distinct steps must be completed within 45 days from the date that the application was received by the DoVA albeit exceptions may be granted. If exceptions are granted by the DoVA, all four distinct steps must be completed in 90 days of the application or re-application is required.

As such, the four distinct steps with the Program of Comprehensive Assistance for Family Caregivers application process are listed below as follows:

Step One: Veteran Assessment - A team from VA will coordinate arrangements to complete a clinical eligibility assessment. This will include evaluating what assistance the Veteran needs with activities of daily living such as eating, bathing, grooming, and/or need for supervision or protection.

Step Two: Caregiver Assessment - The Caregiver Support Coordinator (CSC) will complete a Primary Family Caregiver assessment to review the care giving role and responsibilities as well as certifying the Caregiver's ability to provide personal care services and/or supervision or protection. A Release of Information and Caregiver certification will be required.

Step Three: Caregiver Training - Training is completed by the Primary and Secondary Family Caregiver once it is determined the Veteran meets clinical eligibility criteria. Training can be completed in one of three ways:

1) Attending the Family Caregiver classroom training (a highly recommend option, though locations and availability may vary);

2) Completing the training online (a quick and interactive way to complete the training); or

3) Self-study using a workbook and DVD that will be mailed to the Primary Family Caregiver applicant.

Step Four: In-Home Visit - Once the Primary Family Caregiver has completed training, a DoVA clinician will conduct an in-home visit. The purpose of this visit is to make sure that the Primary Family Caregiver and Veteran has everything they need to be safe and successful in the home setting.

After the In-Home Visit is completed and the DoVA Caregiver Support application is reviewed and approved, the Primary Family Caregiver will begin receiving a monthly stipend based on the Veteran's level of need and required assistance.

To an extent that the Veteran and Primary Family Caregiver disagree with the decision of the Veteran's clinical assessment whether a Tier level 1 (e.g., 10 hours of care), a Tier level 2 (e.g., 25 hours of care), or a Tier level 3 (e.g., 40 hours of care), an appeal may be filed at the VAMC to have the VAMC Director or designee review the dispute.

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

Last edited: