VASRD Cardiology Updates

benjcbc

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any infromation about the possible VASRD updates. And article from Military Disability Made Easy claimed that the heart/vascuar section is to be revised. The significant change here, for me, is addressing palpations and irrgular heart beats. Currently, the VASRD bases heart disability ratings off of the MET level that causes "dyspnea, fatigue, angina, dizziness, or syncope;" how ever the proposed update address "shortness of breath, fatigue, chest pain, dizziness, heart palpitations, arrhythmia, or fainting." My heart condition causes strong palpations, but I only got a 10% rating, because I take medication for it. Addressing palpations and arrhythmia would be a huge help.

Thanks,
- Ben

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any infromation about the possible VASRD updates. And article from Military Disability Made Easy claimed that the heart/vascuar section is to be revised. The significant change here, for me, is addressing palpations and irrgular heart beats. Currently, the VASRD bases heart disability ratings off of the MET level that causes "dyspnea, fatigue, angina, dizziness, or syncope;" how ever the proposed update address "shortness of breath, fatigue, chest pain, dizziness, heart palpitations, arrhythmia, or fainting." My heart condition causes strong palpations, but I only got a 10% rating, because I take medication for it. Addressing palpations and arrhythmia would be a huge help.

Thanks,
- Ben

If the medication abates your symptoms, than per the old and new VASRD, 10% is what you would get. If you are on continual medication AND still have the symptoms described AND have a MET level associated with a higher rating, you would have all of the ammo necessary to file a VARR or appeal.

If the medication abates your symptoms, than per the old and new VASRD, 10% is what you would get. If you are on continual medication AND still have the symptoms described AND have a MET level associated with a higher rating, you would have all of the ammo necessary to file a VARR or appeal.
Even with the medication, I have palpations and arrhythmia at rest. Currently, that only entitles me to 10%, because of the need for constant medication. They are distracting, and make daily life difficult, but they are not listed in the VASRD.

I found a more offical source that there is a proposed update, but no information on the timeline.

Does anyone know much about when these proposed changes actually take effect? This will have a huge impact on my condition.