What to bring to SSA on my first appointment?

Badzki01

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I did a walk in to my nearest SSA to file for SSDI. I went this route because I'm having a hard time to fill out the ssdi forms. I have an appointment next month and she told me to fill out the form before I show up on my appointment. Also, I told her that what if, my papers are not filled out, and she replied that it's ok and we can fill it out while we're doing the interview. I got the basic to bring like id's, spouse and children ssn etc.. What else should I bring because I'm somewhat lost. My SFAC and AW2 can't help me although they gave ssa.gov site and that's about it. I don't know why they can't help me file my ssdi. Thanks..

I would recommend bringing a copy of your medical records. It will just help speed up the process. They will still have you fill out release forms to gather your medical information, it just makes the process go faster. Ensure all the data is entered onto the record correctly, they missed my kids the first time around took 3 months to fix. They should be able to give you the number for the person who collects the medical records and who acts as your intermediary, give that person a call about 2-3 weeks after your appointment if you do not hear from them to see how things are progressing. I was approved my first time around but it took about 11 months because my web application was "lost," and I moved states twice.

Make sure they know you are a "wounded warrior," so they put your paperwork into what is supposed to be a faster track. Know the exact date you stopped doing your official military job due to your disability, that will set your effective date. Mine was roughly a year prior to signing up so I had some back pay. If you have any other questions let me know.

Finally go in stress free, nothing will halt your packet faster then someone who stops it willingly.

Thanks for the heads up. I thought wounded warrior only pertains to 100% disability p&t according to SSA site?

Thanks for the heads up. I thought wounded warrior only pertains to 100% disability p&t according to SSA site?

Be sure to ask for copies of all paperwork you file with them at their office, too.

I filed on my own for SSDI as they didn't have an SFAC "back in the day" when I filed. The "Wounded Warrior Expedite" rule/law/regulation was not in existence, either. The guy at the SSA office in my area who helped me fill out my initial claim packet just happened to be a Vet, and he helped me a lot.

I heard NOTHING from SSDI/SSA for three months. Nothing. So I called up the SSA/Vet guy that helped me file my initial claim, and he said he did indeed forward my application packet up to the next level for processing. He said he had inter-office proof he had done so and gave me contact information so I could speak to someone at the next level.

Luckily, all the paperwork he helped me fill out - well, I asked for copies of all that before I left his office. When I contacted the next place in the system where my application claim packet was supposed to be, I was first told they could not find my packet and to call back in a couple of days.

So I called back again, and they transferred me to the person that was assigned my paperwork for initial processing. She said she couldn't find it, basically implying I had never filed a claim. I told her the name of the SSA employee who helped me file my claim, told her I had copies of all the paperwork, and I told her there was inter-office proof that he had transferred my claim on such-and-such date. She put me on hold, and low and behold - she came back on line and told me she did indeed have my claim packet in her office cubicle!

I said to her (I was mad, but tried to stay calm), that this delay of three months was NOT acceptable and that by regulation, the 30 day timeline for responding to the claimant (me) was being ignored, that that was illegal, and that she was breaking regulations by "sitting" on my packet for three months without acting on it. She said she was "sorry" and would review it as soon as she could.

About 10 days later, I got a letter from SSA saying they sent my claim up to the next level.

So be sure to get names and numbers of the person(s) who assists you in your initial application.

Be sure to get copies of all the paperwork you fill out.

Be sure they (or you do it when you go to sign the claim) that the words "Wounded Warrior" are placed in big block letters at the top of the initial claim paper you fill out. Simply checking a little tiny box somewhere on the form saying you are a wounded warrior doesn't always do the trick at expediting your claim (if they even have a tiny little box like that to check mark). If there is a box like that on the form to check mark, make sure that is checked, too.

If you have not heard back from SSA (by mail) 30-45 days after the date you went in and filed out your initial claim, start dialing for dollars to see if you can track down where your paperwork is at. Mine got stuck in some SSA workers cubicle - my claim application just sitting in a stack in her office, sitting unprocessed and ignored for thee months!

That's a No Go.

nwlivewire

Last edited:
Thanks. I was not even thinking about getting copies from them so thanks for the heads up. I just hope I can fill these forms correctly and he/she is a veteran too..

As long as you are disabled veteran you get "Wounded Warrior," I was only 60% when I applied for my SSDI.

Do I have to apply now for ssdi or wait until I get out? Which one is the better option? It's been a week since I was found unfit to continue to work..

Do I have to apply now for ssdi or wait until I get out? Which one is the better option? It's been a week since I was found unfit to continue to work..

I applied for SSDI 1 1/2 years before I was even coded for an MEB. I had plenty of medical and psych issues, and had plenty of medical/psych evaluations/evidence to prove it all. My claim took quite some time to go through the SSDI process (and the IDES process as well), so I am glad I filed as soon as I did.

I finally rec'd my approval for SSDI from the SSDI ALJ about three months prior to my IDES C&P exams.

For me, my SSDI timeline from time of initial application to final SSDI approval took about 1 year 9 or10 months.

Others claims go quicker - speed of process is a real variable. So my thought is to file now, just in case you have a long wait.

nwlivewire