During meb/peb process. Got flagged for ht/wt failure. Suppose to hit SPC today but I’m flagged. How can I get flag removed? Hlp please!!!

Gman8815

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Started my MEB/PEB process back in August. My new battery with a new 1SG was made aware I’m getting out, but did flag me for ht/wt failure in mid September. I understand this is allowed.... I am suppose to hit SPC today with my 2 year mark (it’s October now). But now my flag prevents that. With severance pay they use rank as a multiplier for your pay when you get out. I was hoping to hit SPC for my severance pay and to have it on my dd214. I served my time with no ucmj issues, kept certified in my job, etc.

Dropped 12 pounds in a month, but won’t be able to lose enough in my time left to get it cleared through 1SG.

Is there some way to get this flag removed as I only have a few months left, and my unit is going to the field soon? Is there anyone who knows anything on who can help since my unit won’t? Is there anyone who has legitimate knowledge on this or has seen a case like this? My 1SG would rather “be a proper NCO” and flag me without giving a f*** about me after the army. I don’t care to get e-4 pay while I’m still in, it’s not about that. If I could hit e-4 on my last day even I’d be happy...

I KNOW MY UNIT BY REGULATION CAN FLAG ME FOR HT/WT AND PT FAILURE SO NO I DONT NEED ANYONE EXPLAINING THAT OR OTHERS USING THIS POST AS AN AVENUE FOR THOSE PROBLEMS. I saw a post exactly like my situation and it turned into “Can I get separated for failure to maintain standards” and ruined my possibility for any help with answers...

Re: "Is there some way to get this flag removed?"

First Sergeants do not flag personnel. They make recommendations.

The Flag function is the responsibility of commanding officers at all levels and the functional responsibility of the brigade (BDE) adjutant (S1), battalion (BN) S1, and MPD (military personnel division).

Recommend you use your chain of command in an attempt to resolve this matter. The pertinent Army Regulation is at THIS LINK <----

Ron

Ron, other than 1SG himself who in my chain of command would be the one to talk to? 1SG’s and battery commanders(CPT) are always best friends. Don’t know if you mean battalion or brigade level and what office such command would be found in. And I cross posted in different types of genres of threads such as my other post you close to try and get multiple eyes in each field. Didn’t know if I’d get more replies that way or if one thread will do all?

How much mire weight do you have to lose? The only way to get it removed if still overweight is if a doctor says that your weight gain is due to medical reasons.

Multiple threads having the same info is discouraged.

However, if you want your thread moved to another forum, I or another mod can move it per your request.

You mention battery, so infer you are field artillery. Battery is the same level as company.

Your officer chain of command would be: unit (battery) commander ---> battalion commander ---> bde commander
Usually, they are in the same area or post if in garrison. The ranks are usually:
--battery, Captain
--battalion, Lieutenant Colonel
--brigade, Colonel

If you are unaware of their locations, one of the senior NCOs in your battery should be able to tell you. In fact any of the NCOs "should" be able to provide that info.

As a former first sergeant and sergeant major, I think your chances are slim. I never had one of my "recommendations" overruled. However, the use of the chain of command is open to you.

edited to add: I would go through the NCO chain of command first. Start with first sergeant...

Ron

How much mire weight do you have to lose? The only way to get it removed if still overweight is if a doctor says that your weight gain is due to medical reasons.
I am 210 need to be 176. 33 lbs... but I’ve lost 12 pounds since last month weigh in... don’t have enough time to get all the way down. I’ve worked my but off for those 12 pounds hoping to show immense improvement when he only requested losing 3 lbs a month in his counseling, to show effort and maybe hoped he’d work with me on it since it’ll be impossible to get the rest. But no cigar.

Multiple threads having the same info is discouraged.

However, if you want your thread moved to another forum, I or another mod can move it per your request.

You mention battery, so infer you are field artillery. Battery is the same level as company.

Your officer chain of command would be: unit (battery) commander ---> battalion commander ---> bde commander
Usually, they are in the same area or post if in garrison. The ranks are usually:
--battery, Captain
--battalion, Lieutenant Colonel
--brigade, Colonel

If you are unaware of their locations, one of the senior NCOs in your battery should be able to tell you. In fact any of the NCOs "should" be able to provide that info.

As a former first sergeant and sergeant major, I think your chances are slim. I never had one of my "recommendations" overruled. However, the use of the chain of command is open to you.

edited to add: I would go through the NCO chain of command first. Start with first sergeant...

Ron
I think if you don’t want multiple threads this will work I guess hopefully I get a lot of looks... also thank you for breaking the chain down. I do understand the chain but don’t know if people within my brigade will bat for a private who they’ve never seen compared to a more known 1SG. Just don’t know if I trust it, was hoping maybe someone within the IDES world would have a solution or know someone who would... I do appreciate the info from a high ranking experienced guy. Have you seen this type of case exactly? I’ve searched a lot and haven’t heard of anyone really with the medboard then flag preventing promotable status resulting in less severance pay situation?

They HAVE to flag you by regulation, not CAN. If you dont make progress and stay within AR 600-9 they also have to start seperation...I am not sure if the MEB process will protect you from a chapter 16 if you not.meeting standards. I believe it will be up to the the BDE CO at this point.

I assume you are enrolled into the ABCP program, received proper counseling from the Commander down, have your monthly weigh ins, afforded the opportunity by regulation to see the nutritionist as well as your medical provider. I will tell you not to beat the system, but ALOT of units are pretty shitty..amd I mean horrible in maintaining the proper documents outlined in AR 600-9 once a Soldier is on the program. So, in a nutshell..if your units doesn't do that they might as well throw your "package" in the trash cause JAG will never seperate you IAW AR 600-9 if they dont have their paperwork in order

Also...it is by far easier for a Soldoee to lose body fat percentages than LBS. How many percent are you u over. I had plenty of soldiers who were "overweight " but made tape because of a huge neck.

Re: "Have you seen this type of case exactly? I’ve searched a lot and haven’t heard of anyone really with the med board then flag preventing promotable status resulting in less severance pay situation? "

No...however, if one is flagged they will not be promoted in that status, med board or not.

I saw several soldiers leave the Army due to bars to reenlistment. None of the cases involved a CH 61...they were just discharged.

I saw quite a few soldiers in the weight control program or the name of the program 30 years ago. I kept good records as it was my nature and a requirement.

I had a regular retirement.

Ron

I had a old Soldier who was med boarded and overweight, I went to TDS with his packet since I knew the ABCP NCO was garbage and was told they would not touch it..missing counseling,irregular weigh ins. I went back, talked to 1SG and we threw it away. The NCO was counseled,1SG got a ass chewing from CSM and then a pad on his shoulder to do right by the Soldier. Filed a DA 268 to remove the erroneous flag. CO was a little pissed but hey..I was retiring anyways. However, if you also a APFT failure you are flagged for both..HT/WT and APFT failure...cant fake the funk without taking another record APFT.

Read up on the regs. I was a company commander who had an NCO pass high year tenure, he was at 17.5 years as an E5. My BN CDR and CSM were pissed and wanted to kick him out. I showed both of them that during my 3 years of command, he had not failed height/weight or Apft twice in a row.... a requirement for failure by the regs. This NCO would fail height/weight, then pass ht/weight, and fail his run... then the next time he would pass his run. He would literally fail every other time and there was no amount of counseling that made a difference...

This NCO was able to re-enlist, got promoted to E6, pass the 18 year sanctuary rule, and retire.

Last edited:
IAW AR 600-9 a Soldier is automatically seperated from serive if the SM fails to meet HT/WT requirements within 12 months coming off the program. IAW AR 350-1 a Soldoer must be afforded 90 days between record APFts,unless the Soldier requested to waive 90 days and is counseled that two consecutive record APFT failure are ground due separation..

Read plenty of regs in my 21 years and seen Soldiers come and go for not meeting standards..wait, I have never seen a Soldier getting seperated for not meeting weapons qualification...wonder why?

Read plenty of regs in my 21 years and seen Soldiers come and go for not meeting standards..wait, I have never seen a Soldier getting seperated for not meeting weapons qualification...wonder why?

I had a friend who got assigned to basic training company command... he said they separated many because they failed weapons qualification.... failure to obey a lawful order....

I was irritated when he told me that, because I was a recruiting company commander and I knew how difficult each and every contract was! MEPS and the basic training commands were my nemesis!

GMan how much percent were you over on your body fat percentage? Most of my later career I was 40-50 lbs overweight but I was able to pass my Tape test based on how my body was built. Ensure that you continue to adhere to the progress they counseled you on so they don’t start a Overweight chapter. Medboards can take awhile so hang on. The reason I ask about body fat is because there are a lot of tricks that can be done if you are close to the mark. If you can focus on your body fat percentage if you are close you may be able to request a retape. Your unit should be retaping you every time they counsel you on your progress. Just a thought in case you close on your body fat. Otherwise like noted above if your medical condition is causing your weight gain you can request a memorandum thru your PCM stating so, but it has to be pushed up and approved higher.

IAW AR 600-9 a Soldier is automatically seperated from serive if the SM fails to meet HT/WT requirements within 12 months coming off the program. IAW AR 350-1 a Soldoer must be afforded 90 days between record APFts,unless the Soldier requested to waive 90 days and is counseled that two consecutive record APFT failure are ground due separation..
I clearly mentioned in all caps I know the regulation but here again it’s being said. Medboard takes precedence over any chapter they try and create, only UCMJ can dissipate a medboard. I’m protected. I ONLY asked about my flag, as I want to be promoted before getting out without passing ht/wt. But I found it after talking to legal it says in the reg about MEB soldier being allowed to be promoted.