Fort Jackson- (Stationed in NC- recruiting)

Head Games

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
August 2012- Things started going south PTSD wise. Stuff started getting worse after PCS to NC. Back pain and shoulder pain getting worse.

September 2013- Self referred to Behavioral Health at Fort Jackson. Begin commuting to Fort Jackson every Friday for treatment/therapy.

September 2013- ordered to report to the company HQ to "work" there due to my issues. (This increased my commute from 10 miles per day to 65 miles a day.

January-February 2013- Followed treatment team's reccomendation and self referred to CSARP (Combat Stress and Addiction Recovery Program) at Fort Jackson. 5 week inpatient program. Ok results. Best thing out of it was a better understanding of PTSD.

January 2013- Diagnosed with depression, mild TBI, and chronic PTSD confirmed.

February 2013- After CSARP returned to working in the closet at the company HQ. Plan to reintegrate me into work established.

March 7- April 8- Shoulder reconstruction done on left shoulder. Con leave till April 8. Went back to "working" in the closet at the company HQ for 2 weeks.

April 22- Put back to work at original duty assignment for 2 weeks. During week 2 shared how things were not going well at all at work with treatment team and HQ. Treatment team reccomends WTU assignment and starting of MEB. Requested to continue working at duty location instead of commuting to HQ, request approved.

May 13- WTU packet submitted through chain of command. WTU screening matrix score is 443.

May 21- Received permanent profile for PTSD. Appointment scheduled for 22 May for initial TBI evaluation at Fort Gordon, (previously diagnosed with TBI in January 2013.)

May 21- PEBLO called for initial appointment scheduled for May 24 1300. Still commuting to Fort Jackson every Friday for treatment.

22 May- Drove down to Fort Gordon for initial TBI clinic eval. Dr. Riggs was great at explaining everything. He recommended I attend the 3 week outpatient TBI program there. Got my name on the list for the August session. Today I get to ask the COC if they will allow me to go. Since I am getting MEB'ed I figure why not go. Anything I can get that will help me get in the "best way" before I get out, I'll take it. Dr. said that if anything I'll have more in my toolkit to deal with symptoms. (Also if anyone knows how I can edit my original post instead of posting replies please let me know!)

24 May- Drove down to Fort Jackson for therapy, group, and my INITIAL PEBLO appt. My PEBLO seemed like a dullard. She could barely answer any of my questions. Some guys in group told me of names to avoid for my PEBLO, not that you have a choice. I also was told that I can get reimbursed for all of the travel I've had to do to Fort Jackson. I'll have to check with COC about it. Read through the Joint Travel Regulations and couldn't find a good enough answer. Anyone know about that? I've got my briefings on 5 JUNE.

28 May- Submitted the documents (Notification Memo, Commander's Performance and Functional Statement, etc) provided by the PEBLO to COC with a suspense of 5 June.

24 May- Drove down to Fort Jackson for therapy, group, and my INITIAL PEBLO appt. My PEBLO seemed like a dullard. She could barely answer any of my questions. Some guys in group told me of names to avoid for my PEBLO, not that you have a choice. I also was told that I can get reimbursed for all of the travel I've had to do to Fort Jackson. I'll have to check with COC about it. Read through the Joint Travel Regulations and couldn't find a good enough answer. Anyone know about that? I've got my briefings on 5 JUNE.

I've gotten nothing but blank stares from my PEBLO here at Jackson since the beginning so I understand what you mean. Good luck with your upcoming appointments.

I've gotten nothing but blank stares from my PEBLO here at Jackson since the beginning so I understand what you mean. Good luck with your upcoming appointments.

Thanks Carl. I hope things go well for you and I!

31 May- Copied entire medical record and scanned into digits. Wrote out head to toe problems list. Turned in record to PEBLO.

05 June- Received call from Fort Gordon program manager. I am locked in for the TBI outpatient clinic for August. Notified COC about program. Suspense date for MEB packet from COC is today. Emailed COC asking about it. Will call today and FU if no answer before COB.

06 June- VA initial claims.

06 June- Did the initial claims paperwork, VA rep was pretty courteous and kind.

12 June- Got my appointment email from PEBLO for my Ortho, Eye, and Physical appts. Supposed to have approved leave for the week of 17-21 June, but of course they scheduled me anyway. Posted about this situation on the MEB forum of this site. WTH!

14 June- Found out at 1330 that my initial VA appts were rescheduled for the following week.

26 June- Ortho and Eye

28 June- Audio

01 July- IDES PSY and IDES GM

Any suggestions on DO's and DON'Ts for these appointments? Not gaming the system stuff, but things to ask/lookout for.

14 June- Found out at 1330 that my initial VA appts were rescheduled for the following week.

26 June- Ortho and Eye

28 June- Audio

01 July- IDES PSY and IDES GM

Any suggestions on DO's and DON'Ts for these appointments? Not gaming the system stuff, but things to ask/lookout for.

In my opinion, the "Ortho and Eye" appointment, "Audio" appointment, and "IDES GM" appointment should be straight-forward with the DoVA results pending actual medical condition deficiencies; just ensure that the DoVA C&P Examination clinician(s) evaluate your specific medical conditions/diagnosis.

Moreover, I shall assume that the "IDES PSY" appointment was scheduled for a pending behavioral health medical condition(s) diagnosis. That said, I have my biases toward behavioral health DoVA C&P Examination clinicians; therefore, I won't potentially influence your perception with my bad experiences. :mad:

But, I would offer that you visit the following DoVA website at...

http://benefits.va.gov/COMPENSATION/dbq_ListByDBQFormName.asp

...to review the specific medical examination form for each scheduled DoVA C&P Examination. That said, I believe it's a good idea to be familiar with the essential information which the DoVA uses for evaluating disability compensation and/or pension claims via Disability Benefits Questionnaires (DBQs). :cool:

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

Ft. Sam Houston

Thanks for the advice. I went into those appointments at least knowing what they were going to ask, so that set my mind at ease a little and helped lessen the anxiety, especially for the PSY exam.

Ortho Appt was a joke. The guys said I had so much documentation for my various ills that there was no need to do a thorough exam. I insisted that we go ahead with a thorough exam and he eventually did it. He didn't really check my back out as much as I thought he would, but hey, this gives me basis for an appeal right?

Audio Appt was great, VA tech really nice and helpful. I felt deaf in that booth.

Eye Appt was ok. No surprises there.

Psych Appt was crazy, reliving all of that stuff with a Dr i don't know or trust was hard. He was nice however and took time for me to collect myself when I got upset. He asked me point blank when we were done, "This is going to affect how I write my report, do you want to stay in the Army or get out?" Shit you not he asked that. Another basis for appeal probably? He said he believed that I should not be in anymore and that I would not do well transitioning to another MOS if they retained me.

They rescheduled my General Exam from yesterday to the 29th of July. My PEBLO said she was going to try and get that switched to an ealier date. I sure hope that happens, as that is my last exam before the packet is sent to the board. Would hate to have that huge lag of time.

Asked about the WTU assignment request that was submitted 20 May. No new answers. It is still at USAREC. WTF?

Got a referrral from my Dr for Biofeedback. On a waiting list for Fort Jackson.

I am curious as to why you would be asking us about the basis for appeal when you have yet to see the results? The DoVA Psych asked you the question because most likely based upon the information you had given him, there were quite a few mixed signals.

If you want to be med boarded out, you need to flat out make sure that this is crystal clear to the examiners as well as your commander for when he/she writes the performance and functional statement.

If you do not want to be med boarded out, also make sure this is crystal clear and see to it that you get a treatment plan that puts you on the path for future success as well as a performance and functional statement that reads the same.

I am curious as to why you would be asking us about the basis for appeal when you have yet to see the results? The DoVA Psych asked you the question because most likely based upon the information you had given him, there were quite a few mixed signals.

If you want to be med boarded out, you need to flat out make sure that this is crystal clear to the examiners as well as your commander for when he/she writes the performance and functional statement.

If you do not want to be med boarded out, also make sure this is crystal clear and see to it that you get a treatment plan that puts you on the path for future success as well as a performance and functional statement that reads the same.

Trust me, as a SFC with 13 years in, the last thing I want is to be medically retired. I would change places with a healthy person any day of the week. I simply put that down for reference because later on I wouldn't remember it. I've also been a part of a therapy group for almost a year now whose members are all going through an MEB at some stage. Every single person I know from there or people I know from my line days who has been medically retired has appealed their case. My CoC wrote a very honest and apt PERF and Func statement that was accurate but very hard to read (due to the brutal honesty about how far I have fallen). Here is what I have told anyone asking me the " do you want out or not" question. "I would trade the last 13 years of my life to be normal again. I don't want to get out, but I am in a place in my life where I know I cannot serve my country the way a Soldier is supposed to at my grade and position, nor can I cope with doing busy work for the next 6 1/2 years until I hit 20."

When I spoke with my regular Psych Dr. at Jackson he told me there was probably 0 chance I would be retained. After I spoke with the VA Psych, he told me that PTSD was an enormous problem for me. I think I am going to be ok compensation wise. I just can't bring myself to game the system to make it a sure thing.

I think you response is appropriate and honest.

There are quite a few opportunities to pursure after your medical retirement as well as phenominal treatment options for PTSD and other BH conditions.

Drive on, complete the MEB, the Army will compensate you for your lost career and the VA will compensate you for your injuries that were incurred in and/or were aggravated because of Military service.

In my opinion, the "Ortho and Eye" appointment, "Audio" appointment, and "IDES GM" appointment should be straight-forward with the DoVA results pending actual medical condition deficiencies; just ensure that the DoVA C&P Examination clinician(s) evaluate your specific medical conditions/diagnosis.

Moreover, I shall assume that the "IDES PSY" appointment was scheduled for a pending behavioral health medical condition(s) diagnosis. That said, I have my biases toward behavioral health DoVA C&P Examination clinicians; therefore, I won't potentially influence your perception with my bad experiences. :mad:

But, I would offer that you visit the following DoVA website at...

http://benefits.va.gov/COMPENSATION/dbq_ListByDBQFormName.asp

...to review the specific medical examination form for each scheduled DoVA C&P Examination. That said, I believe it's a good idea to be familiar with the essential information which the DoVA uses for evaluating disability compensation and/or pension claims via Disability Benefits Questionnaires (DBQs). :cool:

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

Thanks for the advice. I went into those appointments at least knowing what they were going to ask, so that set my mind at ease a little and helped lessen the anxiety, especially for the PSY exam.

Ortho Appt was a joke. The guys said I had so much documentation for my various ills that there was no need to do a thorough exam. I insisted that we go ahead with a thorough exam and he eventually did it. He didn't really check my back out as much as I thought he would, but hey, this gives me basis for an appeal right?

Audio Appt was great, VA tech really nice and helpful. I felt deaf in that booth.

Eye Appt was ok. No surprises there.

Psych Appt was crazy, reliving all of that stuff with a Dr i don't know or trust was hard. He was nice however and took time for me to collect myself when I got upset. He asked me point blank when we were done, "This is going to affect how I write my report, do you want to stay in the Army or get out?" Shit you not he asked that. Another basis for appeal probably? He said he believed that I should not be in anymore and that I would not do well transitioning to another MOS if they retained me.

They rescheduled my General Exam from yesterday to the 29th of July. My PEBLO said she was going to try and get that switched to an ealier date. I sure hope that happens, as that is my last exam before the packet is sent to the board. Would hate to have that huge lag of time.

Asked about the WTU assignment request that was submitted 20 May. No new answers. It is still at USAREC. WTF?

Got a referrral from my Dr for Biofeedback. On a waiting list for Fort Jackson.

You are welcome! :) I am pleased to hear that my aforementioned feedback was helpful to minimize your anxiety about the DoVA C&P Examinations. :D

That said, I experienced similar results except for actually knowing what the DoVA C&P Examination clinicians were NOT performing accurately per established DoVA guidelines. To that extent, the DoD IDES process opportunity to appeal was considered by me and fortunately favorable results were rendered while in the MEB phase upon completion.

Until completion of your IDES GM appointment, it is good to hear your favorable comments about DoVA C&P Examination clinicians, especially about the behavioral health DoVA C&P Examination clinician. Good deal; positive actions yield positive results in my opinion! ;)

Moreover, I look forward to your DoD IDES status updates. Also, I would offer to remain positively proactive throughout your interactions within the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process to ensure the best possible solution(s) for yourself and your loved ones.

Best Wishes!

August 2012- Things started going south PTSD wise. Stuff started getting worse after PCS to NC. Back pain and shoulder pain getting worse.

September 2013- Self referred to Behavioral Health at Fort Jackson. Begin commuting to Fort Jackson every Friday for treatment/therapy.

September 2013- ordered to report to the company HQ to "work" there due to my issues. (This increased my commute from 10 miles per day to 65 miles a day.

January-February 2013- Followed treatment team's reccomendation and self referred to CSARP (Combat Stress and Addiction Recovery Program) at Fort Jackson. 5 week inpatient program. Ok results. Best thing out of it was a better understanding of PTSD.

January 2013- Diagnosed with depression, mild TBI, and chronic PTSD confirmed.

February 2013- After CSARP returned to working in the closet at the company HQ. Plan to reintegrate me into work established.

March 7- April 8- Shoulder reconstruction done on left shoulder. Con leave till April 8. Went back to "working" in the closet at the company HQ for 2 weeks.

April 22- Put back to work at original duty assignment for 2 weeks. During week 2 shared how things were not going well at all at work with treatment team and HQ. Treatment team reccomends WTU assignment and starting of MEB. Requested to continue working at duty location instead of commuting to HQ, request approved.

May 13- WTU packet submitted through chain of command. WTU screening matrix score is 443.

May 21- Received permanent profile for PTSD. Appointment scheduled for 22 May for initial TBI evaluation at Fort Gordon, (previously diagnosed with TBI in January 2013.)

May 21- PEBLO called for initial appointment scheduled for May 24 1300. Still commuting to Fort Jackson every Friday for treatment.

Hey, i need some "good contacts" for a friend of mine at Fort Jackson. Can you thell me how to get in touch with the PEBLO there, and maybe an "advocate" for him as well? He is being railroaded out of the reserves, because he has ulcerative colitis, and was so bad, that he had his colon removed, and is forced to live with a colostomy bag for the rest of his life (at 29 years old). The Army is trying to just put him out. I think (since he was on active orders when he finally collapsed, and was hospitalized) he should be medically retired. Am i wrong to think this way?

Hey, i need some "good contacts" for a friend of mine at Fort Jackson. Can you thell me how to get in touch with the PEBLO there, and maybe an "advocate" for him as well? He is being railroaded out of the reserves, because he has ulcerative colitis, and was so bad, that he had his colon removed, and is forced to live with a colostomy bag for the rest of his life (at 29 years old). The Army is trying to just put him out. I think (since he was on active orders when he finally collapsed, and was hospitalized) he should be medically retired. Am i wrong to think this way?

Honestly he will be best served by contacting his congressman or senator. I don't really know anyone at Jackson that could advocate for him. I'm kind of on the psych side of the fence rather than physical, so I don't really know any Dr's other than psych guys. Has he been through treatment from a MTF or just civilian providers? If civilian, the first step should be to get seen at Montrcrief at Jackson.