Advice on whether or not to MEB

JMAC8026

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Looking for advice on whether or not I should persue a MEB. I entered BCT in NOV 08 and developed stress fractures from hips down. I was sent to PTRP to recover and finish training. Completed AIT with minimal problems. Sent to Korea 2009-2011. Developed Bi lateral plantars facitis and stress fractures in feet. Prior to PCS to JBLM Wa found a problem in foot. Saw podiatry prior to leaving but couldn't be treated because of PCS. Arrive to JBLM get appointment with Podiatry offered MEB after evaluation or surgery, also noted that the problem in the left foot also exists in the right. Took option of surgery because I wanted to stay in at the time. March 2012 have surgery to fix calcaneal navicular coalition. Complications following surgery, waited 2 mo to get phys therapy adhesions surrounding scar and very poor rom even with 1.5 mo of physical therapy. Still having problems with the plantars faciatis and now the surgery has complicated things further. Is a MEB at this point a better option than just trying to get semi better and tough out the rest of my contract? I see my doc in a few weeks and just want to get some advice from those that have made this decision. Thanks.

1. During an MEB you still undergo medical treatment. The MEB has to decide whether to forward your case to PEB or place you in a Limited Duty status assuming you will recover.
2. You can't request an MEB. That has to be initiated by a military doctor or your Command. You can work some "angles" and push for an MEB, but asking for one is probably not in your best interest.
3. The decision comes down to whether you can complete your job/duties as a result of your physical limitations. If severe enough or they are required per DoDi or Army Regs then the MEB should commence.
4. Figure out what is best for your health and what you want/need and work it backwards. Determine what's going to get you where you want/need to be and start working your case with that mindset.