ANG NGB Timeline

Primary Alternate

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I realize we have a forum for the Army NG timelines but do not see one for the Air National Guard.
Has anyone here in the ANG recently gone through a MEB or IRILO? If so, how long did it take you to get a "fit/unfit" finding?
My package has been sitting there for several months and have not heard a single peep from anyone! Just want to know one way or other what the heck is going on. Talking about a stress factor!

it can go many ways depending upon your situation. I'm going through an MEB now when originally my 469 was coded to a 37 in May of 2015. My package went back and forth between my wing and NGB for almost a year before it finally settled at NGB in June of 2016. I finally got my LOD in January of this year and met with the PEBLO in March. C&P exams were in May and recently received my exam results. Things really start moving forward when your package is officially entered into IDES. Again, everyone's situation is unique so it would be helpful to know what yours is. So the Fit/Unfit won't happen until the MEB sends it to the PEB for that determination based upon your NARSUM, and other factors, etc... Stay on this site and keep reading - there's a wealth of information.

it can go many ways depending upon your situation. I'm going through an MEB now when originally my 469 was coded to a 37 in May of 2015. My package went back and forth between my wing and NGB for almost a year before it finally settled at NGB in June of 2016. I finally got my LOD in January of this year and met with the PEBLO in March. C&P exams were in May and recently received my exam results. Things really start moving forward when your package is officially entered into IDES. Again, everyone's situation is unique so it would be helpful to know what yours is. So the Fit/Unfit won't happen until the MEB sends it to the PEB for that determination based upon your NARSUM, and other factors, etc... Stay on this site and keep reading - there's a wealth of information.
I've been here reading for a while now and a lot of good information has been shared. With our situation we are a little differbt from AD since our HQ is NGB.
My package was submitted to the closest AD base where it went before their DAWG. A full MEB was recommended then pushed to NGB for them to concur/nonconur. If concur, goes back to the AD base to start the full board. If the latter, then presumably a return to duty with a c-code. I have 10 different medical issues and hit 20 guard years already but also AGR getting close to 20 active time. I'm good with staying in but would just hate to keep this thing dragging out to where I would be a few months shy of getting my 20 AGR years then they medically retire me or send me through a full board, extending my ETS. NGB is known for being notoriously slow-moving so I may end up hitting my 20 AGR anyways. Would be nice to know one way or other before it gets to that point.

Officially notified of full MEB. Mixed emotions because my AGR retirement date (20 years) is 13 months out and realizing this could take up to a year would put me just shy of a full active duty retirement. How long can I drag this out with appeals?

One more question to go along with above: if I'm rated by DoD of 60% does this mean I would get 60% of my high 3? I know it can't be more than 75% of base pay (ie: 90% would not be 90% of my high 3 but capped at 75%). And could I opt to take that 60% to go towards my VA percentage to make it tax-free?

Don't get ahead of the process. You mentioned 60% There are too many variables to try and figure it out this far out, but if you are 60% DoD then you do get 60 % of your high 3 but you have to have 20years AD service. Otherwise you would get severence pay for anything less than 20.years.

Last edited:
Don't get ahead of the process. You mentioned 60% There are too many variables to try and figure it out this far out, but if you are 60% DoD then you do get 60 % of your high 3 but you have to have 20years AD service. Otherwise you would get severence pay for anything less than 20.years.
Only if rated <30%; 30%+ = medical retirement w/ benefits. If 20 years of AD, then concurrent receipt kicks in.

Only if rated <30%; 30%+ = medical retirement w/ benefits. If 20 years of AD, then concurrent receipt kicks in.
Under these rules, you may be entitled to DFAS CRDP if…
  • you are a regular retiree with a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater
  • you are a reserve retiree with 20 qualifying years of service, who has a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater and who has reached retirement age. (In most cases the retirement age for reservists is 60, but certain reserve retirees may be eligible before they turn 60. If you are a member of the Ready Reserve, your retirement age can be reduced below age 60 by three months for each 90 days of active service you have performed during a fiscal year.)
  • you are retired under Temporary Early Retirement Act (TERA) and have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater
  • you are a disability retiree who earned entitlement to retired pay under any provision of law other than solely by disability, and you have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater. You might become eligible for CRDP at the time you would have become eligible for retired pay
Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

Officially notified of full MEB. Mixed emotions because my AGR retirement date (20 years) is 13 months out and realizing this could take up to a year would put me just shy of a full active duty retirement. How long can I drag this out with appeals?

Talk to your MSC when scheduling your C&P exams. Tell him/her to schedule them out as far as possible. Wait until the last possible day before signing and submitting any paperwork. At every opportunity, appeal/VARR/FPEB. You should be able to drag this out a year. There is also the option of requesting COAD if you don't quite make it.