I might have the longest MEB on station and maybe the Air Force

GunmanII

PEB Forum Regular Member
I injured my lower back in 04, my Med board officially started May 09. In Dec 09 I went to Lackland for my Formal board after being offered 20% from the IPEB. I spent a few hours in the waiting room and finally spoke with my appointed attorney, after reviewing the case he determined that a new Range of Motion test was required. The board president agreed with my attorney and I was sent back. The Board gave a suspense of 10 Jan 10, I contacted my PCM, PEBLO and eventually my 1st Shirt complaining that there had been no forward motion on my case, finally around mid March I recieved a panic phone call with an appointment to go to the PT clinic for a ROM test. In the meantime I was scheduled for a Lumbar surgery (PLIF) on 21 Apr. While in the process of being discharged after surgery I was told I had a Left bundle branch block on my EKG and to follow up with my PCM ASAP. I was place on Con leave until the end of July. After 5 EKG's at the Med group 3 of which were done by my PCM, I was told that I did have a Left bundle branch block in my heart but not to worry about it. I contacted my aunt she is a RN, she told me to get a referal to a cardiologist. After a few tests the cardiologist told me I had a Cardiomyopthy and an ejection fracture of 45% in my heart. I was contacted by my 1st Shirt that I had missed an appointment for my Formal Board, it had been scheduled while I was on Con leave, and I had never been notified. The board was rescheduled for 29 Oct 10, four weeks out I started making phone calls and sending emails to my PEBLO officer trying to get info. After a week of failed attempts to contact her, I went in person to find out what was going on. I was informed that she had been fired, the other PEBLO officer was unaware of my case, but got the info I needed to get my tickets and such. I asked about my paperwork, medical records and associated docs, he wasn't sure if they had been sent and he hadn't reviewed them. I called the Chief at the FPEB and he confirmed my records had been sent but no records of my Cardio or updated info on my back surgery were in my folder. I made some phone calls to gather up the records needed and had them faxed. The Formal board was a Genis world record, I spent 15 Min with my attorney who sent me back to the hotel to get the names and dosages of my heart meds, I was told to hang tight there while my attorney got with the Board president, I was sent home again. A few weeks after my return to home station i was notified that the board shouldn't have sent me home, but because they had it was up to the Med group CC weither to amend the paperwork or redo it. So of course the Med group decideds to redo it. A few months pass its early Dec now and my cardiologist sends me for a Sleep study, I was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea on 14 Dec. Now heres were it gets really fun, I've been on a Med Board for over a year and a half at this time, found unfit for duty by my PCM and CC. I'm late for work alot but normally 10-20 min sometimes a little later. In the past, not that it was excused but after a talk with my shop chief, it was understood that I was doing my best to get there. I have recieved a couple LOC's in the past in-shop. Well I guess everyone was fed up and my CC gave me an Art 15, suspended bust with 30 days extra duty. I have an appeal to file with the Group CC on 27 Dec, to see if he will dismiss the Art 15. What I'm scared to death about is the suspended bust, I'm a SSgt if I'm reduced to SrA I'm at HYT, have a nice day see ya later. Question 1: Any advise for a good appeal letter
2: Is there anything I can do, IG complaint so-on that will force the Med Group to do their jobs correctly and push my Med board through.
3: ANY SUGGESTIONS AT ALL PLEASE

Nope, I got you beat---started the MEB process in mid-2007; had foot surgery after injuring it in Iraq on 4th tour---Ive got 19 years 5 mos and 28 days; now diagnosed chronic severe PTSD---I said that to tell you this remember your in the AF and when it comes to paper pushers (admin folks) they show there supervisors that they do there job best when absolutly nothing gets done. As for PEBLO's, mine is retiring this next month---have not been able to get him on the phone for 3 yrs and dont think things will change anytime soon. greg at 205-706-4734