10% the Magic Number for Migraines??

sisco

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Does anybody else feel confused as to why the board seems to give all "migraine-ers" the 10% severance pay? I was diagnosed in Aug 2006 with classic migraines with aura and since then, have been medically boarded twice. Each time, the IPEB results were the same: 10% severance pay! I am beyond frustrated that i have to wait 4 (maybe more) months to get a generic rating. My third MEB package was sent to the IPEB on DEC 16th 09 because my PCM had to write an addendum to my case which i was already waiting to appeal to the formal board! I already had a date to go to Lackland (Oct 09), when BAM!...blood clot in my right calf (sep 09)..... i blame the stress from the MEB process! Anyway, I realize that once i get my paperwork back (crossing my fingers for mid- April), i will have to check the box that says, "disagree" and appeal for the Formal Board where i'll get to sit and WAIT again! Is anybody else feeling my pain? More importantly, has anyone with migraines been awarded with something other than the Magic Number?

I believe someone last month got 30% PDRL due to the frequency and intensity of their migraines. Of course they might just be giving people a blanket rating in hopes that they won't appeal and just get severance.

In the last 6 months, I have had two migraine cases. Both were awarded 30%. I don't know the severity/frequency of your migraines, so it is hard to say what you should be appropriately rated at. But, the key in both of my cases was to submit evidence (via a migraine diary) of the severity/frequency. If you don't have this information included in your MEB (or it is not accurate), I would strongly suggest that you keep such a diary and submit it as evidence at your PEB. (While it is best to have this information documented by the MEB, very often they do not fully document this information. One thing to keep in mind is that the VA worksheet, which contains the minimum information required to be addressed by the MEB, requires the MEB examiner to comment on the severity/frequency. If they do not do so, it is an issue that you can use on appeal.

I hope all goes well for you and you get a favorable result in the near future.

I feel that the rating system that they have in place for migraines makes perfect sense. When I read my PCM's narrative along with the numerous ER visits in my medical records, I feel that this is enough justification for a 30% rating. "With characteristic prostrating attacks occurring on an average once a month over last several months", is the definition listed to qualify for the 30% rating. I have taken the advice of my neurologist as well as the members of this forum in creating a diary and listing the dates with symptoms and severity of each headache along with the medications I took to suppress it. As optimistic as I try to remain, I still feel that the IPEB will return with the same results as before and at this point, I have no fight left in me. My husband has been stationed at Spangdahlem since May 2009 and in the past year we have seen each other twice. He agreed to take the orders because at the time, we expected my board process to be done and over with by Aug 09 at the latest. We definitely did not see the blood clot happening in September to result in an additional 8 months of waiting. If my PEBLO informs me that my paperwork is back and I go into the her office and see the dreaded: “ 10% severance pay”, what is the difference between appealing for the formal board to try and get the 30% or accepting the severance and just applying through the VA? I never understood the difference between the two ratings. I have read through the C&B Handbook and even met with the local VA rep, but still haven’t been able to grasp the concept. Is it really worth going through another year (possibly) apart from my husband to appeal for a higher rating? Or can I just apply through the VA and get this over with? Can anyone help explain?

I feel that the rating system that they have in place for migraines makes perfect sense. When I read my PCM's narrative along with the numerous ER visits in my medical records, I feel that this is enough justification for a 30% rating. "With characteristic prostrating attacks occurring on an average once a month over last several months", is the definition listed to qualify for the 30% rating. I have taken the advice of my neurologist as well as the members of this forum in creating a diary and listing the dates with symptoms and severity of each headache along with the medications I took to suppress it. As optimistic as I try to remain, I still feel that the IPEB will return with the same results as before and at this point, I have no fight left in me. My husband has been stationed at Spangdahlem since May 2009 and in the past year we have seen each other twice. He agreed to take the orders because at the time, we expected my board process to be done and over with by Aug 09 at the latest. We definitely did not see the blood clot happening in September to result in an additional 8 months of waiting. If my PEBLO informs me that my paperwork is back and I go into the her office and see the dreaded: “ 10% severance pay”, what is the difference between appealing for the formal board to try and get the 30% or accepting the severance and just applying through the VA? I never understood the difference between the two ratings. I have read through the C&B Handbook and even met with the local VA rep, but still haven’t been able to grasp the concept. Is it really worth going through another year (possibly) apart from my husband to appeal for a higher rating? Or can I just apply through the VA and get this over with? Can anyone help explain?

Sisco,
I can answer this question for you. If you accept the 10% rating, do not challenge the results then you will only receive severance pay. You will receive a lump sum of $$ (2.5 * base pay * #of years in the service) and be sent on your way with no further obligation from the service. You would later file with the VA and if you get a better rating.....say 30%, you will receive a $ amount for the 30% per the VA pay scale (tax free) for the rest of your days. However, If you do challenge the rating and receive = or >30% from the DoD, then you will be medically retired from the service. You will get all the benifits of retirement (Tri-Care, base priveleges, etc..) and receive that percentage of your base pay as your retirement for the rest of your days. Then, you can still turn around and file with the VA. The point I am trying to make is that if you receive a rating of 30% or more from the DoD then you will be retired and that is definitely what you want. For that reason, it is always recommended that you challenge the results if it is less than 30% if you feel you have been underrated. Hope this clears things up for you.

I wasnt rated at all by the army for migraines and received a 30% rating from the VA.... go figure. I am on TDRL right now with a combined 80% and now I am told I have shown all the signs for TBI for months but some how the army docs or VA never let me know about it till I was already out and had already signed off on my PEB packed. Best thing I can tell you is to keep a solid migraine journal and document everything. My notebook full of migraine entries was what pushed me to a 30% according to my peblo and the VA doctors. Best of luck, stick with it it's alot better to get it taken care of before you sign on the dotted line.