AF discharge upgrade @ PTSD

Hot Tottie

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Greetings everyone, this is my first post so I’ll be brief.
I served in the AF for a mere 18 months! Days after I arrived at my first duty station I was raped, sexually assaulted & harassed by my NCOIC. This abuse continued until the day of my discharge on June 14, 1991. In the midst of him sexually abusing he was also building a disciplinary against me. I had a mountain of LOC/LOR’s which ultimately lead to a misconduct discharge. As a young Airman Basic I didn’t report it in fear of retaliation. I received a Gen Discharge, separation code JKN and RE code 2B.
After 23 years of battling guilt, depression, homelessness, alcoholism, suicidal thoughts and nightmares, I went to the VA for help. I received EXTENSIVE treatment and was diagnosed with PTSD @ 100% T&P. With that being said, does anyone know of a similar situation where the discharge was upgraded to a medical retirement? Any tips?

Your story is very moving. I suggest you file with the BCMR to upgrade your discharge. As stated above there are several non-profits that are available to help you. I wish you the best in you your journey to get your discharge recharacterized. It usually take about 2 years.

Last edited:
Your tory is very moving. I suggest you file with the BCMR to upgrade your discharge. As stated above there are several non-profits that are available to help you. I wish you the best in you your journey to get your discharge recharacterized. It usually take about 2 years.

I filed it last week. One of the reps told me to have my psych submit a letter stating that PTSD contributed to my behavior which led to my discharge so I have to submit additional docs. Thanks and I’ll jeep everyone posted. God bless u sir

Do not feel like you are alone in this. My wife had a very similar situation occur. She was also discharged after only 15 months after reporting her assault.

We are in the final stages of our request to have her discharge upgraded from General - Under Honorable Conditions to Honorable, and hopeful that the narrative will be changed to Medial or at a minimum Secretarial Authority. It is a long and slow road. We are at 19 months and counting since the original submission.

Best wishes to you.

Do not feel like you are alone in this. My wife had a very similar situation occur. She was also discharged after only 15 months after reporting her assault.

We are in the final stages of our request to have her discharge upgraded from General - Under Honorable Conditions to Honorable, and hopeful that the narrative will be changed to Medial or at a minimum Secretarial Authority. It is a long and slow road. We are at 19 months and counting since the original submission.

Best wishes to you.
Hello, do you have any updates on your wife’s upgrade?