Applying for P&T(PTSD)w/network doctor

BS777

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I am medically retired with 22yrs and just received my final award from the VA for a 100% with future exams for MDD & Anxiety NOS. During my VA appt last year while going through the IDES, I attempted to give the VA mental C&P therapist my network therapist record but he stated he didn't need it. The record stated I have chronic PTSD.

My questions are does the VA only accept what their doctors state? I want to submit my network Therapist record to receive my PTSD rather than a one visit at the VA stating MDD & Anxiety NOS, can I do that? Also, should I wait for an approval for the PTSD before applying for P&T? Is it true that being 100% without P&T my family doesn't qualify for Chapter 35? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I don't have a rating for PTSD yet, I have to submit a supplemental claim for it.

When you file your VA claim for PTSD you can submit your records from your civilian doc. Look at the VA rating for PTSD and the symptoms for each rating scale. PTSD is rated 30%, 50%, 70%, &100%. You can submit a written statement along with your claim.

You will still have to have a VA PTSD c&P exam. Also you will need a statement in support of your claim.

I would wait for the PTSD claim before I request P&T.

Remember, when you have any type of C&P they will revisit ALL your claimed issues.

When you file your VA claim for PTSD you can submit your records from your civilian doc. Look at the VA rating for PTSD and the symptoms for each rating scale. PTSD is rated 30%, 50%, 70%, &100%. You can submit a written statement along with your claim.

You will still have to have a VA PTSD c&P exam. Also you will need a statement in support of your claim.

I would wait for the PTSD claim before I request P&T.

Remember, when you have any type of C&P they will revisit ALL your claimed issues.
ok will do & thank you!!

I am medically retired with 22yrs and just received my final award from the VA for a 100% with future exams for MDD & Anxiety NOS. During my VA appt last year while going through the IDES, I attempted to give the VA mental C&P therapist my network therapist record but he stated he didn't need it. The record stated I have chronic PTSD.

My questions are does the VA only accept what their doctors state? I want to submit my network Therapist record to receive my PTSD rather than a one visit at the VA stating MDD & Anxiety NOS, can I do that? Also, should I wait for an approval for the PTSD before applying for P&T? Is it true that being 100% without P&T my family doesn't qualify for Chapter 35? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Without P&T no chapter 35 benefits for family. Keep in mind asking for a P&T rating isn't easy. Proceed with caution and the help of others.

To add, a C&P doc/practitioner cannot accept outside documents (or at least they're not supposed to). They can accept your statement that you're being treated by another doc for a given condition. Also, once you're in the VA medical (not administrative) side of the system, you can have copies of your outside doc's notes submitted to be part of your record. Do you plan on seeking treatment within the VA system? The reason I ask is that if you do, all of your medical treatment will be in one system.

To add, a C&P doc/practitioner cannot accept outside documents (or at least they're not supposed to). They can accept your statement that you're being treated by another doc for a given condition. Also, once you're in the VA medical (not administrative) side of the system, you can have copies of your outside doc's notes submitted to be part of your record. Do you plan on seeking treatment within the VA system? The reason I ask is that if you do, all of your medical treatment will be in one system.
As a follow up, are you saying the C&P practitioner is not supposed to take documents directly from Vet? In other words, how should someone then submit their medical records to the VA if they have new records to add after initial application, but before the scheduled appointments?

You would send a VA form 21-4138, "STATEMENT IN SUPPORT OF CLAIM" with the documents you have attached. Make sure you point out exactly and in no uncertain terms what the documents are, which condition they support and the CFR quote you're trying to get to (if you're sending documents in for increase or to support a specific rating). I'd also tab and highlight those key phrases to make the rater's job as easy as possible. Also, make sure to put the pages in order (1 of 10, 2 of 10, etc.) and include your name and VA file number (SSAN) on the top of each document.

EDIT: Also, don't forget to make copies of everything you send the VA. Send all documents certified return receipt OR take them to the VARO and have them stamped "Received" and date stamped.

Attachments

• VA21-4138.pdf
    408.5 KB · Views: 1
You would send a VA form 21-4138, "STATEMENT IN SUPPORT OF CLAIM" with the documents you have attached. Make sure you point out exactly and in no uncertain terms what the documents are, which condition they support and the CFR quote you're trying to get to (if you're sending documents in for increase or to support a specific rating). I'd also tab and highlight those key phrases to make the rater's job as easy as possible. Also, make sure to put the pages in order (1 of 10, 2 of 10, etc.) and include your name and VA file number (SSAN) on the top of each document.

EDIT: Also, don't forget to make copies of everything you send the VA. Send all documents certified return receipt OR take them to the VARO and have them stamped "Received" and date stamped.
Good info Justr,
Hopefully others see it.