Army or Air National Guard long delays

Monkey64

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hello,

Is anyone else out there experiencing long delays getting an answer back from the DAWG (Deployment Availability Working Group) about MEB’s or fit for duty ? My package was sent late April 18 and I still have not heard anything back after checking in with my PEBLO numerous times (weekly). My condition is mental health (PTSD 50%VA and tinnitus 10%VA). I have been told it’s taking 4 to 6 months to get a decision back from the DAWG on mental health conditions Is anyone in the same situation of have been in that situation the past few years. Thanks in advance for your help.

Here is my timeline for reference, yet the IPEB results are not back at this time which is where I will learn of Fit or Unfit.

Thanks so much for your response. Being a dual status federal employee did your package not have go through the Guard Bureau DAWG ? I just cannot find anyone else’s timeline that is taking this long. It is my understanding that until the DAWG says member doesn’t meet retention standards the case does not go to an MEB.

Last edited:
I am not sure of the function, yet I did wait from NGB Assessing if LOD - Dec 2015 to IDES LOD IFPEB - 7 May 2018. The Medical group would just indicate there was a concern and were waiting for NGB to decide if it was an In service LOD. That could have been the DAWG that you are referring to yet I never heard them use that term. I never spoke with a PEBLO until notified of the IDES LOD IFPEB - 7 May 2018. I was a DS Technician but was able to continue working with no issues because I work in HR office work, so it was just a waiting game to see if it was a in service LOD. I had no doubt after reading the AFI, yet you never know when you are dealing with a bureaucratic system. I was part of the 12.6% conversion to Title 5 in February of 2018, so now I can continue to work even if separated from the military. Depending on your situation then you may qualify for the Special Provision of the Law if you loose military status due to a medical condition and would be entitled to a disability FERS retirement under most conditions. Best of luck as you navigate both the military and government bureaucratic system. Make sure you contact HR for they should assist you in the impact of losing military status. HR should have a retirements/separations person to advise you.

I have been working on my LODs for almost four years. I have yet to get a MEB started. My LODs keep getting kicked back from NGB (that is what I am told by state at least) because of LOD's being submitted with wrong medical coding and such. Is this normal? I have over 25 years (four active Army) and just want to retire. I have four LOD's and just want them processed correctly.

I totally understand and have gone through the same situation (just not as bad). The process here at my base and for sure NGB is as broke as a wine glass around a pool deck. The only thing that got things going for me was filling an IG complaint. Keep very detailed records and know exactly where they are. I have even went as far as starting a filing system with labels on all my folders. The system is counting on you getting tired and giving up never,never,ever let that happen.

I totally understand and have gone through the same situation (just not as bad). The process here at my base and for sure NGB is as broke as a wine glass around a pool deck. The only thing that got things going for me was filling an IG complaint. Keep very detailed records and know exactly where they are. I have even went as far as starting a filing system with labels on all my folders. The system is counting on you getting tired and giving up never,never,ever let that happen.

Watch your dates-
what I mean is when you finally get thru the system (MEB). make sure that the total time is accounted for.
what happened to a friend is they got hurt on a drill weekend (important) and went thru MEB.
when everything was complete the VA had their "total time served" as 2 days (drill weekend).
who even thinks that is possible?
still trying to get it fixed
still haven't received their NGB 22 (DD214 equivalent) and they were off the rolls in May
this person got the run around for almost a year- profiles were "not there"
I got involved- let's just say that 2 phone calls made things move. they "officially" started the process in January and everything was complete in May.
the person did get a little blow back, but once their were found unfit the unit couldn't "be dumb" anymore.