Asthma in the Air Force

Thank you again. I have been reading AFIs and any info I can find on this whole process, one of the things I read was this: (In regard to required documents to be submitted)

AFI41-210
10.6.4. Letter from the evaluee’s commander is required. This letter should describe the impact of the
member’s medical condition on the member’s ability to perform his or her normal military duties and
to deploy or mobilize, as applicable.

Since I am in training that is mostly unrelated to my job, and I am at a joint unit right now, my commander is an Army officer, and it seems like he would be unaware of the impact on my job. What would you think the case would be in this situation?

I am being discharged for having asthma. I was told today that my orders to leave will not be put up on the virtual mpf, it will be either at the mps or they will be at the peblo office. Is the peblo office the same place where they give you the results of the meb, or is it something else.

I was diagnosed with asthma and retained by the Air Force with an ALC-C2. I can say that your commander's recommendation has a strong impact on your retention or separation. If your commander states that you are still able to do your job, your chance of being retained is high. However, if your commander states that you cannot do your job, you will either be separated or retrained, depending on the severity of your condition.

Addtionally, I feel that a large portion of whether you are retained or not depends on whether your condition is persistent, controllable and whether or not you require regular/daily medication. My condition is referred to as "mild persistent asthma", as I tend to always have a low-grade asthma reaction. It is well controlled with a daily inhaled anti-inflammatory, anti-histamines, and occasional pre-exercise albuterol. If your condition is severe and/or sporadic (asthma attacks out of the blue, or exercised induced), you will likely be separated.

The VA schedule of ratings is a great place to look to see how your disability can be rated. Most sporadic asthma conditions that only require occasional albuterol/rescue inhalers are rated at 10% and the individual is separated from duty with severance pay. If you require daily medication (anti-inflammatory or cortisteroid), your condition is generally rated at 30%. If you require even more severe medication, your rating could be 60% or even 100%. Mind you, 100% rating is where your condition regularly life-threatening and/or severely impacts your life style.