Bipolar II in the National Guard

wajakeb

Registered Member
I have had depression and ADHD symptoms for at least 6 years. Only recently was I able to recognize the symptoms of Bipolar disorder in myself with the help of people close to me. I should have known considering my family history (my dad's entire side of the family is medicated for Bipolar, as was my grandfather.)
One month ago I was diagnosed as Bipolar II and have been taking Vraylar, which seems to help. Unfortunately, there are several areas of my life that I have yet to build proper habits for things that have gotten out of control. Over the last year I have gained 50 pounds, and this year was the first time I ever failed my APFT. I have an 8 hour commute to drill, and it seems so hard to organize my life in a way that helps me maintain my physical health in addition to my responsibilities at home.
My girlfriend suggested that I get out of the military to focus on my personal health and responsibilities at home and work, but I can't ignore the feeling that this would be a cop-out. What would some suggestions be? Also, what would be the proper steps if I DID decide to separate from the military? What would the ramifications be? Would I lose my veteran benefits?

Lasting behavior change usually occurs when we make small changes. A person who has not been to the gym should avoid pledging to spend 2-hours a day in the gym. Start with a 25 minute stroll, 3 days a week. After 3 weeks assess, if you feel better. You will feel better; both physically and mentally. So then add a day to. 4x per week. Over the course of a few months you will find yourself working out more, feeling better and probably drop 5 pounds.

I have had depression and ADHD symptoms for at least 6 years. Only recently was I able to recognize the symptoms of Bipolar disorder in myself with the help of people close to me. I should have known considering my family history (my dad's entire side of the family is medicated for Bipolar, as was my grandfather.)
One month ago I was diagnosed as Bipolar II and have been taking Vraylar, which seems to help. Unfortunately, there are several areas of my life that I have yet to build proper habits for things that have gotten out of control. Over the last year I have gained 50 pounds, and this year was the first time I ever failed my APFT. I have an 8 hour commute to drill, and it seems so hard to organize my life in a way that helps me maintain my physical health in addition to my responsibilities at home.
My girlfriend suggested that I get out of the military to focus on my personal health and responsibilities at home and work, but I can't ignore the feeling that this would be a cop-out. What would some suggestions be? Also, what would be the proper steps if I DID decide to separate from the military? What would the ramifications be? Would I lose my veteran benefits?
wajakeb, First I would like to thank you for your dedicated service for an eight hour commute is substantial. One option ight be to try a unit closer to your home if that has not already been established. I was a M-Day (Drill Status Guardsman in Air Force) in the private sector for half of my 34 years. It is tough working in the private sector and finding the time to take care of yourself psychically and mentally. I would not consider it a cop out to take care of yourself first, yet check with your State and see if there is a program to help. In my State we have a Army Wellness Center that provides psychical assessment and a wellness program to help soldiers with weight and APFT challenges. Use all facets to gain assistance prior to making your decision. Best of luck and thanks for your service.