Chronic Adjustment Disorder; with mixed emotions (anxiety, depression) & suicidal ideation

I'm going to refute this one. There is absolutely no requirement or implication that you should stay on medication in order to get PDRL or even a VA rating to start with. Staying on a drug solely to achieve a higher rating level or PDRL is actually quite dangerous.

I do know of several vets who continue to receive VA prescribed psychotropics only to turn them in for disposal, thinking if they stop 'taking' them, they will lose their rating. While it's their prerogative, it's an incorrect conclusion often based on assumptions.
I would agree that taking medications simply to achieve a higher rating is dangerous. I'm taking mine because I actually need them. I was just curious what determines whether one's status changes to PDRL or separation from an initial TDLR placement.

Did you get to pick a retirement date, or did they assign one to you?

They knew I had 52.5 days of leave on the books. They asked my commander how many days of PTDY he was giving me. When he said 20 it was 72.5 days + the extra time I would accrue, so 79 days total.

They went from June 26 (the date the orders were cut) they added 79 to it which took me out to 13 September. The next 27 of the month is September 27, so that became my last duty day.

So just or that last chuckle.

Friday is my last duty day. I wasn't even planning on being at work much of the day since I will have turned in my computer and my access badge. Someone put a legit 1400 meeting, on a Friday, that involves one of my programs and expects me to fully explain the program, my role and function, and to train the person taking over that part of my job.

I do know of several vets who continue to receive VA prescribed psychotropics only to turn them in for disposal, thinking if they stop 'taking' them, they will lose their rating. While it's their prerogative, it's an incorrect conclusion often based on assumptions.[/QUOTE]

You are wrong. Stopping medical treatment and lack of medication evidence is a sign that the veteran has improved for rating purposes. Once a new re-evaluation from the TDRL or VA, your rating may be lowered do to improvement; even if your statement says something else.
Let's give you an example:
You were referred to the PEB for back, knee and PTSD without medical treatment and medications to support you conditions. How do you expect to get 30% or higher from the DoD or VA without records of treatment or to continue at that percentage? You were discharged for PTSD and placed on TDRL, them you show up to the re-evaluation without medications or treatment since separated from active duty service. What do you think the outcome from board would be? The fact that you stated on the C&P or MH questionary about being hurt and having PTSD etc... don't make you candidate to stay on TDRL; but, I doubt 30% or higher if your conditions are NOT stable without medications or treatment.
PDRL is different, since you don't have future re-evaluations, medications or treatment is no longer an issue, but for VA future re-evaluations (NOT 100% P&T) is different story.

Last edited:
I stopped medication, informed the VA during my re-evaluation that I had stopped and the VA increased me from 70% to 100% P&T for mental health

I stopped medication, informed the VA during my re-evaluation that I had stopped and the VA increased me from 70% to 100% P&T for mental health
Congrats, you are case #1 out of 1.000.000 specially for PTSD and put on P&T without medications.

Medication for mental health, as far as the DoD and VA are concerned, is totally voluntary and refusing medication is not considered refusing treatment because of the lack of evidence supporting the efficacy (and safety) of long term use of psychotropics. I still get treatment from a psychologist, but refuse to see psychiatrists since psychiatry is largely pseudoscience.

Another route to go is just tell the VA that you had adverse reactions to the drugs, a common occurrence with psychotropics, state they made your situation worse, and you no longer desire to use them.

There is no requirement to interact with a psychiatrist with respect to mental health. A psychologist can make the same diagnoses and provide treatment.

The only reason I'm 1/1,000,000 as you stated is because almost every vet or even active duty with mental health issues thinks they are obligated to be on drugs. There is no statutory or regulatory basis for this false assumption.

Additionally, the VA has finally admitted/realized that the use of some drugs to treat PTSD is contraindicated, most often worsening the condition (it's on their website). So how can they reduce your rating for refusing drugs for PTSD when they acknowledge that the use of psychotropics is risky?

Last edited:
Medication for mental health, as far as the DoD and VA are concerned, is totally voluntary and refusing medication is not considered refusing treatment because of the lack of evidence supporting the efficacy (and safety) of long term use of psychotropics. I still get treatment from a psychologist, but refuse to see psychiatrists since psychiatry is largely pseudoscience.

Another route to go is just tell the VA that you had adverse reactions to the drugs, a common occurrence with psychotropics, state they made your situation worse, and you no longer desire to use them.

There is no requirement to interact with a psychiatrist with respect to mental health. A psychologist can make the same diagnoses and provide treatment.

The only reason I'm 1/1,000,000 as you stated is because almost every vet or even active duty with mental health issues thinks they are obligated to be on drugs. There is no statutory or regulatory basis for this false assumption.

Additionally, the VA has finally admitted/realized that the use of some drugs to treat PTSD is contraindicated, most often worsening the condition (it's on their website). So how can they reduce your rating for refusing drugs for PTSD when they acknowledge that the use of psychotropics is risky?

One more time, congrats on you 100% PTSD P&T WITHOUT medications or treatment.

but, for the other folks out there trying to get 100% P&T without medication or treatment, this is the information from the VA conditions and ratings:

100% rating: This rating will have the the following circumstances and symptoms:The Ability to Care for Yourself
: This individual cannot take care of himself at all. Constant or near-constant hospitalization and one-on-one supervision is required.

Medications: This individual requires psychiatric medication at all times.

Symptoms: Some or all of the following symptoms will be present.

– Regular or constant delusions or hallucinations and the inability to tell fact from fiction
– Completely inappropriate behavior (like drooling, mumbling, shouting, etc.)
– There is constant danger of hurting self or others (including suicidal tendencies)
– Significant memory loss, including not being able to remember names of close friends, family, or self, and other important information
– The individual cannot understand the idea of time or place
– The individual cannot properly reason, think or communicate logically
– Constant anxiety, fear, suspicion

The Ability to Work: This individual cannot work at all.

Social Relationships: This individual cannot participate in any relationships. In other words, they cannot interact or build a relationship with another person. Family members may care for them, but it is only a one-way relationship. They cannot seek, invite, or encourage any relationships.

That can appear to VA as if you're cured. If you are doing so well that you don't need therapy or treatment, why is VA paying you? This is true whether you are seeing a psychiatrist for mental health or a urologist for prostate cancer. If you allow VA to believe that you're suddenly no longer in need of any treatment, that can raise a suspicion of just how disabled you really are.

Why take the risk? In your case, you probably don't need to make the schedule of appointments and sessions as often as you have been in the past. If your therapy has gotten you to a point where you're stable, you can reduce the numbers of visits safely. But you should not discontinue or ignore future visits because they may be inconvenient. A regular record of continuing therapy where you are reporting the problems you're still having is your best defense against any possible future examination.

Don't get complacent and give the VA the ammo they may want to shoot down your rating. Keep your medical records buffed and polished by using the services that are there for you. A steady, documented official medical record is the best possible evidnce you have to make or continue a claim.

Last edited:
For the mantle disorders is it the number 3 that would give us an idea of what our percent might be? I'm just a little confused. Under the number 3 it says under occupational and social impairment and check one box the box that was marked was "occupational and social impairment with occasional decrease in work efficiency and intermittent periods of inability to perform occupational task. Although generally functioning satisfactorily with normal routine behavior, self care and conversation.

The symptoms the doc check were

Depressed mood
Anxiety
Chronic sleep impairment
Disturbances of motivation and mood
Difficulty in establishing and maintaining effective work and social relationships
Difficulty in adapting to stressful circumstances, including work or a work like setting

If anyone can help me on this I would greatly appreciate it! Just trying to see around what ball park this percentage would be if any

I am waiting on my packet to return and it hasn't returned yet but it's only been a month and I know this usually takes a while. Thank you again for all help

For the mantle disorders is it the number 3 that would give us an idea of what our percent might be? I'm just a little confused. Under the number 3 it says under occupational and social impairment and check one box the box that was marked was "occupational and social impairment with occasional decrease in work efficiency and intermittent periods of inability to perform occupational task. Although generally functioning satisfactorily with normal routine behavior, self care and conversation.

The symptoms the doc check were

Depressed mood
Anxiety
Chronic sleep impairment
Disturbances of motivation and mood
Difficulty in establishing and maintaining effective work and social relationships
Difficulty in adapting to stressful circumstances, including work or a work like setting

If anyone can help me on this I would greatly appreciate it! Just trying to see around what ball park this percentage would be if any

I am waiting on my packet to return and it hasn't returned yet but it's only been a month and I know this usually takes a while. Thank you again for all help
Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

Based upon the information provided above, it would seem that the DoVA D-RAS should adjudicate a 30% proposed rating in accordance with 38 CFR VASRD §4.130 Schedule of ratings—Mental disorders, General Rating Formula for Mental Disorders as follows:

"Occupational and social impairment with occasional decrease in work efficiency and intermittent periods of inability to perform occupational tasks (although generally functioning satisfactorily, with routine behavior, self-care, and conversation normal), due to such symptoms as: depressed mood, anxiety, suspiciousness, panic attacks (weekly or less often), chronic sleep impairment, mild memory loss (such as forgetting names, directions, recent events)."

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

Based upon the information provided above, it would seem that the DoVA D-RAS should adjudicate a 30% proposed rating in accordance with 38 CFR VASRD §4.130 Schedule of ratings—Mental disorders, General Rating Formula for Mental Disorders as follows:

"Occupational and social impairment with occasional decrease in work efficiency and intermittent periods of inability to perform occupational tasks (although generally functioning satisfactorily, with routine behavior, self-care, and conversation normal), due to such symptoms as: depressed mood, anxiety, suspiciousness, panic attacks (weekly or less often), chronic sleep impairment, mild memory loss (such as forgetting names, directions, recent events)."

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

Thank you so much, I have an additional question if you could help me out with please. So I am already getting 40 percent for my back because of my ROM if I was to get 30 for mantle, would it be combined to a total rating of 70 percent?

Thank you so much, I have an additional question if you could help me out with please. So I am already getting 40 percent for my back because of my ROM if I was to get 30 for mantle, would it be combined to a total rating of 70 percent?
Indeed, you are quite welcome!

In retrospect, the DoVA uses tables to compute the combined disability. The highest percentage to the lowest percentage is used. The highest minus 100% gives the "efficiency" for the highest degree of disability. Then, the second is computed and so on to derive at a combined disability. The combined rating is then rounded up or down to the nearest 10% (i.e., 55% would be rounded up to 60% and 54% would be rounded down to 50%).

With that all said, your combined disability total would be 40% + 30% = 58% which would be rounded up to a 60% total disability rating. Also, you can do a google search on "VA Math calculator" to view different automated VA combined disability calculators developed by random individuals.

Otherwise, I would like to direct your attention to https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-i...4337649bcb&mc=true&node=se38.1.4_125&rgn=div8 to view the official 38 CFR VASRD §4.25 Combined ratings table. Hope this helps and take care!

Best Wishes!

Indeed, you are quite welcome!

In retrospect, the DoVA uses tables to compute the combined disability. The highest percentage to the lowest percentage is used. The highest minus 100% gives the "efficiency" for the highest degree of disability. Then, the second is computed and so on to derive at a combined disability. The combined rating is then rounded up or down to the nearest 10% (i.e., 55% would be rounded up to 60% and 54% would be rounded down to 50%).

With that all said, your combined disability total would be 40% + 30% = 58% which would be rounded up to a 60% total disability rating. Also, you can do a google search on "VA Math calculator" to view different automated VA combined disability calculators developed by random individuals.

Otherwise, I would like to direct your attention to https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-i...4337649bcb&mc=true&node=se38.1.4_125&rgn=div8 to view the official 38 CFR VASRD §4.25 Combined ratings table. Hope this helps and take care!

Best Wishes!

Thank you so much!