DC 5259 - What is cartilage?

Loki88

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
5259 Cartilage, semilunar, removal of, symptomatic............................................................. 10

What exactly is the definition of cartilage here? Do you have to have a meniscus removed?

5259 Cartilage, semilunar, removal of, symptomatic............................................................. 10

What exactly is the definition of cartilage here? Do you have to have a meniscus removed?
One explanation I found:
“Meniscus injuries are evaluated under DC 5258 and DC 5259. On the VA rating schedule, you will see the term “semilunar cartilage.” Semilunar Cartilage is, basically, another word for “meniscus”.”

Additional info is at this non-govt site: LINK<—-

The VA (KNOWVA) has info on this subject at M21-1 <—-LINK
Note: You might want to read from
6. Evaluating Musculoskeletal Disabilities of the Legs at the link above. There is a huge amount of info at that particular chapter.
The info you are searching for is most likely within that area. I did not have time to read all of it.

Good luck,
Ron

Thanks RonG! Read it a all.

The closest to an answer is the first link: "Another term to look for is “debridement.” Debridement is the removal of damaged tissue, but is not a complete meniscectomy. However, if a veteran suffers residuals from a debridement, he should still argue for a rating under DC 5259."

Unclear if a debridement is exclusive to the meniscus here as well..

The first link was from an “unofficial source “ but the discussion seemed to be straightforward.
I don’t think their link could be used to support you position. Just my opinion...

Good luck,
Ron