Incorrect diagnosis haunting me- what to do?

hurley21

Registered Member
I was medically separated by the Air Force PEB with an incorrect diagnosis. I was suffering from PTSD from an abusive boyfriend, the death of my aunt and my mother's attempted suicide in front of me. I sought help from a therapist at my first duty station (big mistake) and was medicated within a week. The medication was all wrong and any reaction I had to a new medication was perceived to be a 'new' symptom. This happened for months until I found myself heavily medicated and getting discharged due to "symptoms suggestive of Bipolar Disorder and PTSD existing prior to service". I agree with the PTSD part, that is normal for abuse victims- however, the Bipolar Disorder is incorrect. The day I was discharged, I stopped taking the medication. It has been 4 years since I was separated and I haven't had any Bipolar-like symptoms or need for medication. I went back to school and I will be graduating in December. I worked with a university counselor and worked past my PTSD issues.

Now, here I am about to graduate and I would love to enter the federal workforce, but I am terrified that this incorrect diagnosis is going to disqualify me from a security clearance, opportunities for overseas positions, etc. I do not want to have my career goals impaired by this. How do I go about getting my records amended? Thank you!

hurley21,

Welcome! Here are a few comments and questions:

First, correction of records normally requires an application to your services Board for Correction of Military Records. You would likely need medical opinions that you do not suffer from Bipolar. You can read about BCMRs in the forums here. The form to file is a DD149.

How many years were you in the military? It sounds like they may have made an error in your separation and you may be due severance or retirement pay. EPTS requires two findings. First, they have to show that it existed (the disability, not the stressors) before service. Second, they have to show that your service did not aggravate your condition. I doubt that they properly considered this in your case.

Finally, I am not sure that you need to have your records corrected. That is, for a security clearance, if you have been asymptomatic for years, it may not be disqualifying. I am not saying this is clearly the case, just that I would take a look at the criteria and questions on the clearance application. It would be likely that differing levels of clearance (i.e, ENTAC/Secret, vs. Secret (Sensitive Compartmented Information)) would have differing levels of inquiry. However, your separation documents (DD214) would likely raise a flag. I just am not sure about a waiver or need to address issues from years ago. I am going from memory on this, but I think 5 years was a significant time for having to report certain things. I don't mean to point you in the way of definitive answers on the clearance issue, I would just point out that it bears looking into what the actual standards are.

Are there any security managers out there reading this who have input on this last point?

Tough to get the BCMR to change a diagnosis in someone's treatment record. The diagnosis was the physician's professional medical opinion based on the tests and observations done at the time. Its part of a historical record. Subsequent treatment records can refine or change a previous diagnosis. But to change a diagnosis is to change the treatment history of a patient. The BCMRs are reluctant to do this. As for EPTS, if the military did aggravate the condition, but the condition is expected to revert back to it dormant stage after the stressors of the military are gone (stress fractures are a good example), it is considered EPTS.