Just started IPEB

joshgo

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
First some background info:
I joined the Air Force in Sep 2006. In May 2007 I was diagnosed with Meniere's Disease. I asked my doctor at the time if I would have to go to an MEB and he said no because it wasn't that severe. Over time, my condition, which includes vertigo and severe hearing loss, has gotten much worse to a point where I can no longer do my job.

Now, I arrived at a new base in April 2010 and my new commander talked with me and decided to push for an MEB. I read up a lot on the process (this site being very helpful) and went into the PEBLOs office feeling educated. Doing some research I found that my disease is listed in the VASRD as code 6205 and, since I have vertigo attacks 2-3 times a day, I should be rated at 100% according to the chart listed. I doubt the AF will see it the same way, although it would be nice.

After going through the hoops and signing the paperwork, it was sent to the MEB. It returned the next day with "refer to IPEB." I got some character references from previous supervisors and wrote an LOE to be included in my package to the IPEB. The PEBLO sent in my package on 8 Oct 2010. She told me she called down line to make sure it was received and was surprised to hear that they would come back with a decision in 2 weeks. She said it has normally taken 2-3 months to hear anything back from the IPEB.

Just wondering if this is normal and what other people have seen. Is this just the canned answer they are supposed to give you? I have seen some other posts from people with the same condition as me but I haven't seen anyone that had it while they were still in and what the outcome was.

Ultimately, I would like to stay in but I know that I can't perform in my current career field and I can't think of anything I could be successfully cross trained into. It's just a little nerve wracking think having to start everything from scratch if I do get out.

Thanks in advance for your help and support!

I hope you get a good outcome. I didn't and had to submit a request to the AFBCMR. I also have Meniere's disease and the IPEB didn't rate it saying it isn't disqualifying. Yes, it's in the VASRD and I also have frequent attacks that put me at the 60% level. I can't drive anymore or stand up without assistance--I guess they missed that in my record--but it was there.

Jumper,
Thanks! Hopefully the PEB gods will smile upon me. I don't know how they could consider it to be not disqualifying. I can't do my job at all. My commander won't even let me work in industrial areas alone and I work on the flight line. Not to mention I can't even use the phone or accurately receive and disseminate information.

I'm interested to see how your appeal goes, good luck!

You know, in my job I have a major inspection at least every year. People from HQ come in and look at everything we do, paperwork and all, with a fine tooth comb. It seems like these people are just running amuck making whatever decisions they feel like making that day with no one to keep them in check.

Josh, I sent you a message. I report to the FPEB in the first week of November to appeal the 60% to 100%. Will let you know how it goes!

To anyone interested in this. I just recieved my results from the IPEB today. I was given 100% and put on TRDL due to the condition still being unstable.