MEB Ankle and Asthma Active Duty TSgt 13 years

lilbeaker80

PEB Forum Regular Member
Hi all, thought I'd introduce and thank everyone for their insight on the process.

My MEB was initiated in Feb of 2011. I am being boarded for exercise-induced asthma and chronic ankle problems. I've had 3 surgeries to attempt to fix my ankle...and the surgeons want to try at least 2 more surgeries of which I am going to opt not to do (tired of going through the mess). As far as my ankle, I've had pins installed, have re-occuring bone spurs/fragments, arthrits, tendonitis, and calcification of both the achilles and tibial tendons. I have had a few asthma attacks while working out....but have been able to control them with daily inhalers. I know the asthma will come back with a fit finding.

I did just perform a range of motion test with my ankle and am very limited (not enough range to walk normally). Physical therapy has been unable to help....although they tried everything.

The medical issues do not effect my job performance much as I work in an office setting. However, I am unable to stand for any time greater than 20 minutes, and unable to run. And unfortunately, due to my lack of ability to streniously work out, have failed a few PT tests.

Both my commander and PCM have recommended a medical separation. I am awaiting the local board's findings. I am hoping that the local board agrees with my commander and PCM. I do not see any reason why they wouldn't....but then again you never know.

Any information on past experiences/words of wisdom would be appreciated.

lilbeaker80,
BLUF: 3 year MEB after 10 years of problems, ankle and lung IPEB came back with DWSP and 20% disability! Read long story below for details. Keep us posted and don't rely on anyone to "take care of you"
I'm in a similar position, AD TSgt now at 15 yrs, way back in 2001 i had a spontaneous pneumothorax (lung collapse) of my right lung, i was admitted and treated and released with no MEB necessary. However shortly after my return to the states I again suffered a collapse of my right lung. I called in to the MDG and they saw me, the PA at the time determined i had acid reflux and prescribed me medication for GERD and sent me on my way. Two days later i was back in with server shortness of breath so bad i couldn't make it across the street without getting the dizzy spots in your eyes. They did a CT scan and found it was a collapsed lung, they rushed me to the E.R. and did the initial treatment, then they did a pleuridesis where they removed the mucus lining of my chest wall so my lung would actually heal to it. I woke up from this in ICU and was in the hospital for quite awhile. This surgery caused excruciating pain doing anything that jarred me a little, and that pain lasted for about 3years...of course the normal PT BS ensued and i was really worried about my chances. They CC withheld my TSgt stripe, finally the UFPM, the HAWC physiologist got together and switched me to the 3 mile walk...passed with flying colors and scored and 80 on my next test, sewed on tech with back pay and was hopefully in the clear. Just before my next year's PT me, my wife and son were hit by a car while standing in a restaurant! Yep...that was me, she nailed us pretty good and we all survived (thank God), but she took my right foot almost clear off, had it not been for my combat boots it would have probably severed. It was dangling on the end of my leg, needless to say the 3 mile walk strategy went out the window and now i've been dealing with that and the recent change to a 1-mile walk with heart rate. Ever since my lung surgery my heart rate will spike to 200 easy doing only mod jogging or a fast walk...lol. FML right? Oh well, now the MEB process is another thing, i was hit in aug of 2008 and just yesterday received my decision from AFPC kindof...it was incorrectly filled out so the PEBLO had to send back and request a corrected form but assured me that it wouldn't change...DWSP (discharge with severance pay) and 20% disability! 15years and vasoline job...thanks AF...lol.

Did you go to the formal board, if not I would be requesting one.

I still haven't received a call from the PEBLO, my IPEB is still technically pending until she calls me in for my briefing and she can't do that until they get a corrected form back...what boggles my mind is if i'm taking this long to complete the paperwork i think i would definitely double check it before sending back to the member. I have contacted legal counsel and advised them of my situation, once I get the official return and am briefed on my options i will contact my attorney and see where i need to go, most likely i will be headed to San Antonio for the formal board.

Have an update....the local MEB board came back with an unfit finding. Had another meeting with the PEBLO. He will be sending package to IPEB around the 2nd or 3rd of June. Told me that we should hear something back in 1-3 months.

Feb 18 2011: MEB initiated
May 31 2011: Notified of unfit finding by local MEB board
June 2 2011: Package will be forwarded to IPEB

Have an update....the local MEB board came back with an unfit finding. Had another meeting with the PEBLO. He will be sending package to IPEB around the 2nd or 3rd of June. Told me that we should hear something back in 1-3 months.

The IPEB came back with their finding today. I have been offered PDRL with 40% disability. The percentage was exactly what I was looking for according to the VASRD.

Current time line is as follows:
July 5 2011: Recevied notification from PEBLO that IPEB offered PDRL w/40% disability