MEB, ARNG, PTSD, Behavioral Health, LOD

What will the likely Army disability percentage be?

• Total voters

cssamo

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I was in Afghanistan a few years ago.
I am rated 100 P & T through VA.
I am a current member of the Army Guard.
Over 20 years. Technician.

I don't get paid for drills anymore, and I don't attend drills. I'm marked as a Medical.
Profile says I don't need to be around important and dangerous things. (I concur)

My LOD for (Behavioral Health) is being sent to the State HQ. (PTSD, Depression, etc)

I will update this thread as I go through the process. If anyone has any tips, tricks, comments, please share them with me!!!!

Does going in to the MEB with a 100% mean anything? Is that a good thing? Will it "speak" for me?

If your PTSD is related to military duty, ie LOD-Yes, and you are unable to drill because of that, you should be qualified to obtain Incapacitation Pay at the Tier 1 level, meaning full time military pay and benefits, while you are unable to either drill or work your civilian job due to a LOD injury.

This is covered by DA PAM 135-381 and AR 135-381.
Read the DA PAM over BEFORE you request INCAP so you have a pretty good idea of how the process is "supposed" to work. I have been dealing with it for well over a year, so if you have any questions either post it on this thread or you can PM me.

Expect the Guard to fight you on this, but if you're due the pay, fight and eventually you will win.

Good luck, hope this helps...

What was the VA rating for BH? The VA granting you a rating should answer the question of service connection and disability level already and the military should accept their findings. They should only have to answer if the BH makes you fit or unfit.

Also had 50% for sleep Apnea, but since one of them is 100%, I guess that extra 50 doesn't matter.
I'm not going to claim it on my MEDBOARD.

Florida, I really don't know what all that means, I will have to read the documents that you mentioned. I don't know what INCAP (incapacitation) means when claiming. But right now, I am still at my job as a technician, but I am not going to drills. They are coding me as a Medical.

Any advice?

Florida, I really don't know what all that means, I will have to read the documents that you mentioned. I don't know what INCAP (incapacitation) means when claiming. But right now, I am still at my job as a technician, but I am not going to drills. They are coding me as a Medical.

Any advice?
By being deemed Unfit for duty you qualify under Tier 1, that is full AD pay and benefits, minus what you earn as a Technician. If you pay as a tech is equal to or greater than full time AD pay with BAH and BAS then it probably would not be in your best interests to pursue. If your tech pay is less, and/or you are unable to continue as a tech at any time because of your LOD condition, then INCAP is something that you should apply for and pursue.

INCAP is separate from the IDES/MEB/PEB process, and has no effect on it, it is simply the safety net for Guard and Reserve Soldiers who are unable to work and/or perform military duties due to an LOD injury/condition.

Hope this helps...

Thank you. So, I guess, once you go through the medboard, and they give you a percentage and kick you out, then you will apply for the INCAP.. My job requires me to remain in the guard to keep it.

Also, am I in risk of losing my technician job due to me not going to drill?

I'm over my 20. I got a one year retention letter that is good up to March of next year. My one year extension is in a couple of months.

INCAP is strictly for when you're IN the Guard, once you're through the PEB and medically discharged you no longer qualify for INCAP.

How not drilling affects your tech job is unknown to me, same with the import of an extension letter.

BTW, it's in your best interest to list ALL you conditions at the start of the IDES, and at the MEB fight to have included any and all conditions that should be Unfitting (those that would keep you from retention or performing your military duties). It is ONLY the Unfitting conditions that the PEB uses to decide what DOD rating(s) you are due, and if you meet the 30% combined DOD rating that is required for a medical retirement.

I have 28 years and I am also a Technician. I also have a no Drill Profile for BH issues, and have had it for several months. My profile even requires me to wear civilian clothes. I have not been at a drill in over 8 months, and have been coded Absent Medical. There has been no negative impact on my technician status. I have however been reassigned to a keep busy technician job where I don't deal with too many people. I am a Warrant Officer so I am not sure how this will play out. I had 2 open claims through IDES in EBENNIES and they went to complete this weekend, and a new claim for 4 conditions that I am already rated for opened up with an expected completion date of next month. Does anyone have any idea what that means?

Good Morning Chief, go into your Ebennies and look at your letters. You may be able to see if they gave you a percentage. You should also be getting something in the mail from the completed claims..

That's my guess.

Yes, I have been checking that regularly. Also the new Disabilities Tab on the Dash Board, they show my existing ratings but not the new one yet. If they go by my existing I will be 50% for 2 conditions, if they go by the latest C&P DBQ I should be 70%. Have not seen a change on Ebennies as of yet. My guess is they will not finalize it until I am notified and accept the proposal. I too have over 20 Tech. It sucks loosing the job, but with asthma and PTSD I have no choice. I had Sleep Apnea with CPAP as a claimed condition but the C&P Examiner said it had no effect on my asthma or PTSD and denied it as a secondary condition. Go Figure. Enough about my stuff, don't worry about the technician program, they have no choice but to wait out your final determination, like me you can probably expect to be stuck hanging around for a few more months after separation waiting on your technician retirement to finalize. You will more than likely apply for a Disability Retirement from your Technician Position, they will try to place you somewhere else but If they can't find you suitable government employment they will have t approve the retirement, you can expect 60% on year 1 and 40% from then on based on your high 3 Technician years.

P.S. by your title I take it you were dealing with STAMIS systems.

Last edited:
Yes, I do deal with the Stamis systems, lol.. I should have used a name that was a little more anonymous.

Yes, I have been checking that regularly. Also the new Disabilities Tab on the Dash Board, they show my existing ratings but not the new one yet. If they go by my existing I will be 50% for 2 conditions, if they go by the latest C&P DBQ I should be 70%. Have not seen a change on Ebennies as of yet. My guess is they will not finalize it until I am notified and accept the proposal. I too have over 20 Tech. It sucks loosing the job, but with asthma and PTSD I have no choice. I had Sleep Apnea with CPAP as a claimed condition but the C&P Examiner said it had no effect on my asthma or PTSD and denied it as a secondary condition. Go Figure. Enough about my stuff, don't worry about the technician program, they have no choice but to wait out your final determination, like me you can probably expect to be stuck hanging around for a few more months after separation waiting on your technician retirement to finalize. You will more than likely apply for a Disability Retirement from your Technician Position, they will try to place you somewhere else but If they can't find you suitable government employment they will have t approve the retirement, you can expect 60% on year 1 and 40% from then on based on your high 3 Technician years.

P.S. by your title I take it you were dealing with STAMIS systems.
I'm an Air Technician going through the process now and can use some advice. I submitted a FDC for multiple issues (PTSD, Asthma, Sarcoidosis, etc...). 17 years as an Air Tech and 26 military with 7 OEF/OIF deployments. I'm waiting for my C&P exams to be scheduled with the VA and then provide the results to my clinic. What time frame can I expect from the Guard to send me to a MEB and PEB? Was it the PTSD, Asthma or both that will make me Unfit for duty? I believe a minimum of 50% for my PTSD is warranted, but you never know with the VA. Did you get 30% for your Asthma - I use a daily inhaler and have a rescue inhaler to use as required (Albuterol & Symbicor). I hope I'm not asking too many questions, but I'm concerned about losing my technician job and having to battle with the Guard for my benefits. thanks in advance for any input.

hiland, I have seen it last several years, and I have seen it last less than one year. I dunno

Hiland,

Yes, that would warrant 30% for the Asthma, I had an FEV1 Predicted of 81 while on Symbacort and Albuterol, and they gave me 30%. As for the PTSD I got 30% now and they are asking for an increase to 50%. The 2 claims I had open in Ebennies went to Complete and a new one opened up. It changed from Prep for Decision to Pending Decision Approval yesterday. Not sure how much longer. I am on day 96 of the VA rating step. Hope that helps you. As for your technician job, I wouldn't worry too much, They will have to medically retire you or find you suitable government employment at a comparable pay grade. If they medically retire you, you will get 60% of your high 3 Annual Salary Average, the first year and then 40% after that. As long as you have at least 18 Months of Technician time. That along with the VA and if you out process through IDES and the MEB/PEB process you may get more from the Military in the form of medical retirement and CRSC for the PTSD.

Last edited:
Ok,

I have an update, Went to Pending Notification This afternoon..

Now under the disabilities link on my E-Benefits Dash Board it shows 80% Total Rating. With 50% PTSD and 30% Asthma which are my PEB Referred conditions. I am assuming at this point it will be Combined at 65% and Rounded up to 70% for the DA Rating. Can anyone chime in?

Your VA math sound correct to me.

When I do my MEB, I will go to the VA's C&P (AGAIN). Can they lower my VA from 100% at that time, or does this new C&P only deal with what the Army is looking for?

Can they? Yes, they can change your rating at any time if they have evidence to justify the change.

Will they? Depends on what's in your medical record. With the new C&P they will ask for the VA to rate the MH state based on the current exam, so if they decide its lower they will likely use that information in a rating decision same way the Army will.