MEB question; PTSD from sexual assault

MD90SF

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hi everyone,

I have never thought I would say anything on this forum but I have to start reaching out for help from people who are also going through this process. As embarrassing as it is to be male and encounter this in the Military its worse being mocked and ostracized for it. And now med-boarded.

Here is the short story;

I have been in the Air Force for just over a year and a half. My first duty station was right next to Ramstein AB in Gemany. I was sexually assaulted by a ranking member of my unit and felt it was my duty to report what happened. In the beginning I made a restricted report while seeing mental health but made it into an unrestricted report after I heard that he had also sexually assaulted another in the unit before I arrived there. I just didn't want what happened to me to happen to another unsuspecting Airman. As many of you know the backlash and reprisal that comes with reporting got to me and I decided to file for a humanitarian transfer to get away from the attacker and to have a support system closer to home.

Once I got here I still felt like I couldn't get over what happened and ended up being de-armed and re-assigned to a position that doesn't carry a weapon. Fast forward 7 months and here we are. My doctor insists that I have chronic PTSD from the assault and that I also have magically developed a personality disorder. I believe that my doctor is diagnosing Personality Disorder as the final blow so there is no way that I can continue Military Service. I love the Air Force and I love being in the Military but what happened has left an extremely bad memory in my head and I find myself not wanting to associate with anything that has to do with my old career field. My doctors thinking is beyond closed minded and she states that I will never be able to deploy, carry a weapon and am unfit for duty so there are no other options for me but to get out. I have stated to her many times that, that is absolutely not what I want and just want to be put into another career field that has nothing to do with the latter so I will not continue to be re-traumatized. She won't budge and initiated a med-board. At this point I said if the worst case is going back to my career field that is something I have to accept as I just want to continue to serve my country. This Med board has me extremely down and I feel like I have no representation and am being forced out because of what happened. I just cant stop thinking about how if I would have never reported it I would never be in this situation and wouldn't worry about being kicked out of the Air Force.

So cutting to the point.. What is this process going to be like? It sounds like the Psychiatrist that prescribes me Ambien and Celexa also agrees with my psychologists findings and then on top of that my group therapy counselor doesn't care if I stay or go. He just runs the group for his next OPR bullet.

Like I stated above I absolutely don't want to get out of the Air Force and I have never been in a situation like this so any thoughts or helpful questions are appreciated. The MEB is at the very beginning stages and I haven't been contacted by anyone official regarding it.

MD,
1. I am sorry for what happened. Glad you found the site and remember we're all here for one another.
2. It's easy to second guess decisions we've made, but understand you did the right thing and saved who knows how many others. Keep your head up! You had the courage too do something many others might not have.
3. Whether you want to be in your current situation (MEB) or not is irrelevant at this point. Understand the best thing you can do it accept the fact that it's happening and prepare for it. Since you're early on you can build a strong case. You obviously want to stay in, might happen; reach out to legal now and run it by them.
4. Decide what you want, look at what is most probable, and fight as best you can. Sometimes we have to accept something we don't want because the alternative is worse. I know it's not perfect, you could also receive what you desire, but understand as the military downsizes your probably fighting an uphill battle.
5. It can be a grind, but take it one day at a time.

Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

I, too, am truly sorry to hear about your situation, brother.

To that extent, I offer that you remain positively proactive and never default from what you believe is injustice.

Moreover, stay the course and remain strong until successful completion of the result(s) you are trying to achieve.

Thus, I quite often comment "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

Dear MD90SF:

WOW!

Your situation appears off-kilter and seems SO wrong!

I went to another website and have copied below some information and phone numbers for you.
Don't know if you need them, BUT, they can be contacted and perhaps they can direct you to folks who can assist you with your current situation. I highly suggest you contact these numbers and hope they can point you in the right direction.

I also placed a call to SWAN (Service Women's Action Network) as they deal with these type of issues. I am waiing for a call back from them to see what they have to say for further assistance with your situation.

They deal with BOTH genders in MSA/MST situations as this happens to BOTH genders.

Will respond back with a number for you to call as soon as I hear back from SWAN.

Also, please read this SWAN article and know YOU are NOT alone! (Sad, but true).

http://servicewomen.org/military-sexual-violence/

Out-takes from this article....

According to the Department of Defense (DOD), an estimated 19,300 sexual assaults occurred in the military in 2010, and yet only 13.5% of total survivors reported assault. Military sexual violence impacts service men and women in the Active Duty, Reserves and Guard forces, as well as cadets and midshipmen at the U.S. military academies.

Military sexual violence impacts both men and women. Of the 19,300 estimated assaults in 2010, 10,700 victims were men, while 8,600 were women. While rape, sexual assault, and sexual harassment are strongly associated with a wide range of mental health conditions for both men and women veterans, they are the leading causes of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) among women veterans, while combat trauma is still the leading cause of PTSD among men.

SWAN’s POSITION: SWAN believes that our troops deserve to serve in a military without fear of rape, sexual harassment or sexual assault, and without fear of retaliation for reporting. In order to accomplish this, SWAN advocates for better victims protections, professionalized and impartial prosecution of the accused, and service members’ access to civil courts.
To read more about what SWAN is doing to create a military free from sexual violence, click here.

The Soldiers Project
1-877-576-5343
A group of licensed mental health professionals who offer free, confidential, psychological treatment to military service members (active, National Guard, reserves, and veterans) who have served or are expecting to serve in Iraq or Afghanistan.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
1-800-273-8255
A 24-hour, toll-free, confidential suicide prevention hotline available to anyone in suicidal crisis or emotional distress. For veteran-specific services, Press 1 or go to their veteran’s page.

Therapist Finder
Returning soldiers can find free counseling for themselves and their families.

RAINN: Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network
1-800-656-HOPE (4673)
24/7 services for victims of sexual assault and domestic violence. You can contact via phone or the internet hotline.

V/r,
nwlivewire

Thank you all so much for the support and info. I met with my PEBLO last Friday to start signing forms and releases...Still feeling really down about the whole thing. I am hoping to be able to advocate for myself at the hearing in San Antonio but by that time it will probably be to late. The physicians minds will probably already be made up.

Thank you all so much for the support and info. I met with my PEBLO last Friday to start signing forms and releases...Still feeling really down about the whole thing. I am hoping to be able to advocate for myself at the hearing in San Antonio but by that time it will probably be to late. The physicians minds will probably already be made up.
Get in touch with good legal counsel now. Your best course of action may be to fight for retirement. Defer to the experts.

One of the best things you can do is get representation from the Area Defense (ADSC)...it helps to get your legal options from a military lawyer who knows your specific case. The AF, from my perspective, has been the worse offender of all the services for using MH to get rid of sexual assault survivors. I just googled personality disorder, and it seems to me that since you have no history of disorder, and the diagnosis is after your assault, that you should be able to fight the diagnosis. Call the ADSC, get a laywer, it was the best move I made. And, if you do not like your doc, ask for a referral, keep in mind though that you may get somebody even worse :(

Best of luck!

I am an active duty JAG in the Air Force and I am so very sorry to read about your situation. I truly hope you receive the help and career change you need to recover. As for me, I have survived the entire MEB/PEB process thus far. Currently, I am awaiting a response from the SAFPC on my request for reconsideration after a decision to be temporarily medically retired (TDRL) for chronic abdominal pain at 19 years, 2 months, and 13 days (in spite of the fact I've been working full duty days in my position for nearly a year and a half and running numerous half marathons). Nevertheless, in your situation, I fear ADCs may be concentrating on their criminal caseload and may have little time to devote to a pending MEB. Should your MEB case come to fruition, I will be more than happy to provide whatever assistance I can.

I have contacted the ADC and as stated above that's not something they locally represent. They referred me to AFMOA at Lackland and said they only represent clients at the board in San Antonio and start reviewing your case 30 days before. I tried to request a second opinion from Mental Health and I'm almost sure that made things worse. It was denied on the basis of I am already seeing a psychiatrist and a group therapist and If I want a second opinion then I can ask one of them. However, I believe when my medical team collective is biased and swayed by not only my perceived actions but the treatment team group consensus they are no longer objective and bring their own emotions either negative or positive into their perspective on a case. That is what I believe has happened and that is why I requested a second opinion looking in on my situation. I may be looked at as starting problems or argumentative but I feel as if the fact that I am the victim has been lost and the personalagenda of my treatment team remains unwavering. I am trying to do what'sbest for myself and my career and I refuse to be rail-roaded out of theMilitary under the guise of having a Personality Disorder and PTSD. I didn'thave any of these problems before I reported the assault be it mental or jobrelated and since have come down with a gamut of unfitting issues. I took my feelings to the IG and he stated how tragic and unfortunate my situation was that it wasn't an IG issue and he couldn't help me.
The DAWG met today according to my PEBLO so I will hopefully find out tomorrow if they are continuing to push for a full MEB or by some stroke of sheer luck are going to return me to duty. I'm pretty sure we all know how that's gonna go and at this point I know that no matter what I do I'm going to be forced out of the military.

I have contacted the ADC and as stated above that's not something they locally represent. They referred me to AFMOA at Lackland and said they only represent clients at the board in San Antonio and start reviewing your case 30 days before. I tried to request a second opinion from Mental Health and I'm almost sure that made things worse. It was denied on the basis of I am already seeing a psychiatrist and a group therapist and If I want a second opinion then I can ask one of them. However, I believe when my medical team collective is biased and swayed by not only my perceived actions but the treatment team group consensus they are no longer objective and bring their own emotions either negative or positive into their perspective on a case. That is what I believe has happened and that is why I requested a second opinion looking in on my situation. I may be looked at as starting problems or argumentative but I feel as if the fact that I am the victim has been lost and the personalagenda of my treatment team remains unwavering. I am trying to do what'sbest for myself and my career and I refuse to be rail-roaded out of theMilitary under the guise of having a Personality Disorder and PTSD. I didn'thave any of these problems before I reported the assault be it mental or jobrelated and since have come down with a gamut of unfitting issues. I took my feelings to the IG and he stated how tragic and unfortunate my situation was that it wasn't an IG issue and he couldn't help me.
The DAWG met today according to my PEBLO so I will hopefully find out tomorrow if they are continuing to push for a full MEB or by some stroke of sheer luck are going to return me to duty. I'm pretty sure we all know how that's gonna go and at this point I know that no matter what I do I'm going to be forced out of the military.

Have you contacted SWAN yet????

They have handled similar cases of MSA/MST and the railroading of SMs out of the service by the military claiming "personality disorders" as their excuse to get rid of the MST survivor, rather than to deal with the issues in a straight-forward manner.

The military, when using the "psych card", well, that's the military's way of resolving the issue - and screw the SMs issue as a military discharge eliminates and buries the problems.

Stick with your guns BUDDY! Give SWAN a call - they are on Eastern Standard Time.
They may be able to provide legal assistance for you as well.

BTW, have you gone on the "outside", and looked for a psychiatrist to give you a full MMPI and other tests and MH evaluations? You may have to pay out of pocket for it, but an outside evaluation from a psychiatrist - especially one who has worked with survivors, would be of great benefit to you. More ammo in your pocket.

V/r,
nwlivewire

I wonder if you can use military one source to get a second opinion? Not sure, but that might be an option. Have you considered calling your congressman? This seems like the type of case they could help with. Again, I don't know, it just seems worthwhile to fight such an unfair course. Man, the way you case is working out is making me lose total faith in this system. Stay strong, and keep us updated.

You have the right to get a second opinion! You can ask to get one off base. See your patient advocate!

The IG's, especially overseas, thinks nothing falls under their jurisdiction. I was getting sexually harrassed at work in England and the IG did nothing but quote the reg that commanders have the final say. So my commander told "the guys" to be nicer to me. So then the harrassment began as retribution for me trying to "tell" on them. Even in Germany, you have the right to request a second opinion, esp for mental health, and can go off base.

See a patient advocate. All you have to say is you don''t agree with the docs diagnosis and want a non military view of your problems. Tricare covers it. If they say no, which I doubt, you can go directly to the Med commander without retribution or rank being an issue. You are a patient first at the hospital.

And you get another chance when your initial MEB goes through, you have the right to ask for an IMA- An independant medical advisor, to go over your history and see you and see if the IMA agrees with the diagnoses.

I have seen many first termers get deemed, personality disorder, failure to adjust to military life, to get them out and home, instead of med retired and help that they need.

Sometimes behavioral health conditions fall into a category that we as individuals are just not wanting to hear. I suffered a TBI back in 2005 and few more after that. mTBI was the diagnosis at the time, however my current dignosis is post concussion syndrome and adjustment disorder. I was pretty bummed out to hear those words, however the Psych doc expained it to me in quite different terms than even her department head did with I complained.

This was her explaination paraphrased, "It is not that you have trouble adjusting to you military life but rather the symptoms that you have with your neurologial and phyiscial conditions. (adusting to life after the trauma is difficult) Post injury your memory is different than what you experienced prior and this creates mental stressors, your vision no longer meets standards for military service and most likley you do not physically see things that others see which is a psycholigial stressor, she also began to speak about physical pain and how it is related to emotional pain and also how certain medications that are prescribed work differently for those who have head trauma then they do to those who have not."

The bottom line is that if you would like to continue service, you should sit down with your CoC and let them know this. You are a victim of sexual trauma and it may be effecting you in such a manner that you may need to reclassify to another position to continue service.

Seek out counseling from sexual trauma advocates.

In my opinion the biggest problem with the DSM-IV is that they use words such as "disorder" in the final diagnosis. Hearing something like "adjustment disorder" is difficult on an individual, because it sounds like you are being accused of something.

Medical diagnosis have much cooler sounding names.

Sometimes behavioral health conditions fall into a category that we as individuals are just not wanting to hear. I suffered a TBI back in 2005 and few more after that. mTBI was the diagnosis at the time, however my current dignosis is post concussion syndrome and adjustment disorder. I was pretty bummed out to hear those words, however the Psych doc expained it to me in quite different terms than even her department head did with I complained.

This was her explaination paraphrased, "It is not that you have trouble adjusting to you military life but rather the symptoms that you have with your neurologial and phyiscial conditions. (adusting to life after the trauma is difficult) Post injury your memory is different than what you experienced prior and this creates mental stressors, your vision no longer meets standards for military service and most likley you do not physically see things that others see which is a psycholigial stressor, she also began to speak about physical pain and how it is related to emotional pain and also how certain medications that are prescribed work differently for those who have head trauma then they do to those who have not."

The bottom line is that if you would like to continue service, you should sit down with your CoC and let them know this. You are a victim of sexual trauma and it may be effecting you in such a manner that you may need to reclassify to another position to continue service.

Seek out counseling from sexual trauma advocates.

In my opinion the biggest problem with the DSM-IV is that they use words such as "disorder" in the final diagnosis. Hearing something like "adjustment disorder" is difficult on an individual, because it sounds like you are being accused of something.

Medical diagnosis have much cooler sounding names.

If I may ask, were you diagnosed with a TBI after a MRI showed any objective evidence supporting the fact? If not, what process was used by medical clinicians to obtain the TBI diagnosis? Also, do you have a current diagnosis of TBI which was given by the DoVA for disability compensable benefits? I understand mTBI or concussion and how multiple mTBIs can lead to Post Concussion Syndrome (PCS).

In retrospect, I too, was suffered a mTBI without loss of concussion during 2007 combat operations in Iraq. Also, I have a long diagnosis history of vasovagal syncope. With the two diagnosis coupled and other medical conditions, I suffered numerous additional mTBIs with loss of concussion thereafter. I have a current diagnosis of PCS, but the DoVA failed to service connect the claimed condition of "TBI with residuals" due to no TBI diagnosis while in the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process.

With that all said, any feedback you potentially shall provided in greatly appreciated! Currently, I appealed the error-filled IPEB findings; therefore, awaiting contact from the USAPDA for my Formal PEB date.

Thus, possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer.

Best Wishes!

Hi all,

Just checking back in with what seems to have been a hellish past week. My PEBLO informed me they are pushing for a full MEB and are not going to return me to duty. I was unfortunately expecting this. He told me I needed to write a letter to submit with my MEB package as to why I want to stay in the Air Force. Can anyone give me some ideas of what to put in the letter?

Secondly as I stated above my second opinion from mental health was denied by the Flight commander on the basis that I am already seeing a psychiatrist and another psychologist for PTSD group. I contacted the patient advocate and sent him an email asking to be seen off base so we will just have to see what he responds back with.

I have not yet contacted SWAN because it looks like they are an All women for women organization for this problem. I dont think they would deal with this situation because I am a man.

I have not only told the command, mental health, and my commander that the Air Force was supposed to be my life but after experiencing this trauma Its hard for me to be in situations where I feel I could be re-victimized and just want to cross train away from Security Forces. My commander does not care about me at all. He wants to fast track me out so I'm not his problem anymore. I feel so alone. The command hates me, Mental Health hates me. None of this would have happened if I kept my mouth shut.I ruined my career and my life now It's all over.

What does the flight commander have to do with deciding if you can have a second opinion? Absolutely NOTHING! He has no say.

Ah, you're SF. Understanding more. They are notorious for treating each other badly, and treating their own injured like DBAs.

Your career is not over! Do not feel this is your fault because you "told". You did NOTHING wrong and did not cause the incident to happen. It was brave of you. I was raped at tech school. I told my instructor, looking for help and guidance. He told me it didn't count- because I was seeing the guy. Even though he forced me against my will. I went from getting 90s to getting wash back for failing and not sleeping. My roommate was in my class and my best friend there, she helped me through it and my Dad was going to get an investigation started on the guy, my father was NCIS at the time, but the guy already PCS'd to Germany and my instructor scared me and said I would not finish tech school and be put on infininte med hold until the hearing was over. And after being so traumatized, depressed, and only 18, all I wanted and wished for was to go home, be around my family, and crawl back into MY own bed and stay there. I wish I had your bravery to come forward, being in tech school, I didn't know about sarc, EO, IG or calling the base cops or anything besides go to your MTL or instructor. The other girls in the class said it was not my faullt and that it was date rape and that rape was rape. It does not matter that you are a guy. Rape is rape! And you did not do ANYTHING to cause it or warrant this treatment from your fellow co-workers, who just suck as a wingman and as people in general for having no compassion towards you.

Don't worry. It's not up to your commander if you can cross train or not. The Board will decide and notify AFPC, Your base does not decide that. He might want you out fast, but do you best to prove him wrong. You need that bravery some more. He's probably a butter bar who's never been a commander before and wants you out to hide the fact he doesn't know what he's doing. Because the sight of you reminds his superiors he is not managing HIS flight properly, and that he is not doing HIS job! You were partly right, You are NOT a problem! But he feels you are HIS problem.

In your letter, state everything you are telling us. Your love of the AF, dreams of a successful full 20 year career, how tramatized you are by your experience. How you would work hard to do anything in you power to recover and stay in. How you believe cross training will help in your recovery because you feel reprisal from co-workers in your current career field for reporting the incident, telling on a fellow co-worker, and having mental health issues. How a less high stess work environment will aid in your recovery and a fresh start for you will allow you to feel you are free to trust you fellow wingman again. Get letters from co-workers and friends too, stating how hard of a worker you are, benefical to the Air Force, and how this event changed you. It would help if they are NCOs or officers.

Remember you are not alone! Promise. It happens to 1 in 6 military members. Think of how many that is in your own flight. Some of the guys a probably jerks at work too because they went through it and are re-traumtized by it happening to you and act angry or are embarassed they did not come forward themselves.

Nobody hates you. Promise. And If you really feel this badly about your mental health doctor "hating you", that's another reason your therapy is not working. Please go SEE you patient advocate. They cannot turn you away in person and have to see you same day. On the phone, you will get caught up in their game of tag phone or I'll get back to you and nothing.

There are many MST programs for if you do get out. I am reseaching them myself. I will help you as much as I can. Promise!

Email me whenever. If you have a question or even if you just want to rant and get something off your chest.

Kay?

~Amy

Men's Trauma Recovery Program Admissions Coordinator

Kristen Marchak, LSW
650-614-9997 ext 24692

Give this information to your mental health doc. It is an inpatient program for Vets. Sexual Military Trauma patients get counseling for free. Active duty is accepted. Your doc just needs to send in the application.

Include in your letter that you volunteered and found this program on your own. It will show you are trying everything possible to stay in. I've heard good things about this 2 month program. You are eligible if you get out too. Free counseling, VA rating of 100% while you are there for 2 months. And possible travel reinbursment. Look into it!

Men's Trauma Recovery Program Admissions Coordinator

Kristen Marchak, LSW
650-614-9997 ext 24692

Give this information to your mental health doc. It is an inpatient program for Vets. Sexual Military Trauma patients get counseling for free. Active duty is accepted. Your doc just needs to send in the application.

Include in your letter that you volunteered and found this program on your own. It will show you are trying everything possible to stay in. I've heard good things about this 2 month program. You are eligible if you get out too. Free counseling, VA rating of 100% while you are there for 2 months. And possible travel reinbursment. Look into it!

Dear MD90SF:

I concur 100% with the advice AmyGallay has written to you here.

BTW, SWAN DOES work with both genders on MSA/MST. Just happens that females have developed an outside organization to get this issue off the back burner and into the light.

DoD numbers of MSA/MST for male & female SMs indicate that more males than females do report. Sadly, this issue has been very poorly dealt with by the DoD for decades.

Time for this injustice to come to an end. With the new Officer Evaluation Reporting System changes coming down the pike, Commanders & First-line leaders will be having a tougher time now sweeping this issue under the rug & blaming the victim, getting rid of the victim, & allowing the perp(s) to go on with their careers to other posts/bases.

You are on the right side of this issue & I encourage you to claim your right(s) to a fair and just outcome.

V/r,
nwlivewire

I meant to say the OIC at Mental health was the one who denied my second opinion not the flight commander. And my commander is a Lt Col. I am an A1C. Hopefully we can all see the disconnect.

My doctor offered me to go to In patient 2 months ago and I said no originally. I felt I would be branded and ostracized more than I already am. After she told me I was being MEB'ed, I decided I absolutely would not let this continue to define me. 2 weeks later I was beginning to feel better and I asked if I could go. She said no. Her reasoning was if you are all of a sudden feeling better and making a turn around after saying that you can't be Security Forces and carry a weapon to saying that you are willing to go back to duty if that means stopping the MEB then there is no reason for you to go to inpatient. I realize how that looks but I was and am trying to cross train out of SF and if that meant originally letting them know that I do not feel comfortable around this job or the people anymore It's not like I was lying just to get out of work. I despise anything reminding me of what I went through in Germany and the entire experience of reporting and being cast out to sea. Even though I feel this strongly I would go back if that was my absolute last option versus being med boarded. It's not worth letting them define my future. As bad as that looked I don't care if it appears wishy-washy or manipulative. Of course I don't want anything to do with these people and want to do something different but worse case I would rather stay in and do something I strongly dislike versus be forced out.

I went today to see the patient advocate and there is nothing he can do for me. He said that being in the Military you are not entitled to see someone off base. I asked him what was the point of having health insurance was if you cant use it and he said "you don't have health Insurance, the Military owns you." I then asked what are my options if mental health denies a second opinion and a different provider. He said I really don't have any other options then writing a letter to the Air Force Surgeon general but that it more than likely would be denied since I'm going through an MEB. He said I could contact MFLC but they probably wont be able to do anything official as well. I am truly at a loss. All I can wonder is how I have made these people this mad that they no longer can help me. We can say that my "career isn't over" but that would be a lie. Yes it isn't over today but a year from now or less I'm going to be standing on the other side of the gate with nothing to show for it. I am the example of the break down in the system. You always hear about going to get help and talking about your problems but If I could tell anyone anything it would be to keep these type of things to yourself or at least don't go on the record about things. It may sound good at the time and look as if you're doing the right thing but it just creates more problems for you. I forsee how this is going to play out and recognize they have more then enough to justify separation. The game is over. I have very few cards left to play and even those don't matter. I can have the best case, information and speech but at the end of the day I'm still going to be a civilian back in my old life. The only thing that will get these people to listen to me is letting them know I am not playing and take serious action but we all know that will just cement their position even more.
Checkmate~Air Force

The OIC of mental health can say he won't put it a second opinion, but your PCM also has the authority to put in the referral for a second opinion to mental health. You do know you have hte right to change your PCM once with no justification. Ask your PCM. If he/she says no, change PCM's and explain to the new one what is going on and that you want a second opinion. I would write it up a formal request and if he denies it, have him sign your request. More to take to your board. Just because you have a condition that needs to be presented to the board, does not mean you are getting out. And when you are going through the board, you have a right to a second opinion, that no one can denies. They don't have the final say, you do, promise!

I would drop the cross train issue with your MTF and Unit, as they do not have the power to do so and it rubs them the wrong way.

You went through that in Germany, where are you now?

The military may own you, but they are not allowed to break you.

You are giving too much power to your local Mental Health and Chain. When you go to a formal board, it will be two Doctors that will have a completely neutral view of what is going on. And they might even feel some compassion towards you for wanting to stay in. Mine did when they found out I was 2 classses away from the commission nursing program I was persuing and that I was working and going to school full time before I got ill and could not handle the work load anymore.

My Unit, chain and PEBLO treated me terribly, but I decided to be hard-headed, look out for myself, CYA, and with the help of this board and Jason (Thank God!), found out I could be permanently retire and not get screwed over.

Remember you will have a lawyer backing you , who will make sure what happen is legit.

Write up a memorandum for your mental health OIC stating you requested a second opinion and he denied your request. Ask him to sign it. It will either change his tune or give you power at your board that you were making efforts that was being declined. I would do the same with your psych doctor about how you came around and ask to go to the program and get help and they denied it. I would also put in there that you were apprehensive at first because of the reprisal from your duty section. Many PTSD sufferers initial have trouble talking about their issues and laying it all out there. I have talked and been diagnosed with PTSD by 3 doctors in the last 4 years. They have the jist of what happened, but I have difficulty still talking about it, even 10 years later and none of them know all the details.

"14. Is a referal from the PCM required for a second or third opinion?

The TRICARE Reimbursement manual Chapter 1, Section 16, III, H states that a second and/or third opinion can be "patient initiated": therefore, a PCM referral is not required."

~from military humana

"Getting a Second Opinion

You have every right to request a consultation with another provider for a second medical opinion when the initial provider is uncertain about a contemplated course of action. You, your primary care manager (PCM) or your regional contractor may request a second medical opinion. If you wish to seek a second opinion, go to your PCM and explain your situation and any questions you may have about the first specialist's suggested care. Then, ask your PCM to coordinate a referral to another specialist and request a referral from your regional contractor if necessary."

~From the Tricare site itself

Contact your regional tricare and request it yourself, it will not be denied!

YOu have to believe in yourself to work the system, if it broken.

Document, Document, Document!!! Time, date stamp, what happened who with, where, when , and why it happened. Be very factual and use all rank and full names. It will help you wonders

Keep trying, Out of all the bad things, good will come your way once in a while like it is supposed to.