Medically retired 100% P&T Healthcare

D_street1030

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I'm going to post this in two locations with the hopes of gaining insight from some of the more seasoned people here.

I was medically retired in 2017 and rated 100% P&T by VA. As I'm sure many of you can agree the VA healthcare system is TERRIBLE in my area. So bad it deters me from even going to get seen for something like a potential concussion. It would be a 6-8 hour process just to get seen.

My family and I have Tricare For Life from the medical retirement. I have a Primary Care provider through Tricare.

I need insight from some of you about whether or not I can use both. Does having Tricare provide me the opportunity to go to a civilian ER and be covered through insurance or is the VA my only option? Any and all insight is greatly appreciated.

I use the VA for dental, optical, and hearing aids and my non-government docs for everything else. This requires me to go once a year to theVA for an annual physical. I also have to go to a VA dentist once a year to stay in community care.

I should add my experience with VA providers have been good. The front desk is not so good.

I should add my experience with VA providers have been good. The front desk is not so good.
I agree, I use the VA for my annual physicals. My primary healthcare I use is through Tricare, I have my Tricare doctors linked in with my VA so they all have the same common operating picture. My experience with the VA has been pretty good, with that said all my appointments have been scheduled ones, and non emergency.

I was an Army RN w/ 2 deployments (OIF/OIR) and I work at the VA. I work very hard to take care of fellow veterans. Many of the MDs and RNs I work alongside are veterans. If you despise the VA you can refuse your monthly payment from the VA and refuse to go to the VA at all.

I agree, I use the VA for my annual physicals. My primary healthcare I use is through Tricare, I have my Tricare doctors linked in with my VA so they all have the same common operating picture. My experience with the VA has been pretty good, with that said all my appointments have been scheduled ones, and non emergency.
When using Tricare is there anything special you have to do through the VA? I recently went to an annual VA physical, which was no big deal. My issue/concern comes with urgent/emergent care and the possibility of exploring other primary health care.

So if I'm reading this correctly, you have a civilian primary care doc through Tricare that you use for other routine care.

I was an Army RN w/ 2 deployments (OIF/OIR) and I work at the VA. I work very hard to take care of fellow veterans. Many of the MDs and RNs I work alongside are veterans. If you despise the VA you can refuse your monthly payment from the VA and refuse to go to the VA at all.
Congrats. Thank you for continuing your service. I am trying to avoid the VA, hence the question about Tricare and a Primary Care provider through civilian healthcare.

When using Tricare is there anything special you have to do through the VA? I recently went to an annual VA physical, which was no big deal. My issue/concern comes with urgent/emergent care and the possibility of exploring other primary health care.

So if I'm reading this correctly, you have a civilian primary care doc through Tricare that you use for other routine care.
Correct. I mostly use my Tricare Primary Care Doctor. I use my VA Doctor for my annual physicals, bloodwork, and prescriptions. It’s great to have the ability to cherry pick on certain aspects of medical care, especially if you can save money. The VA is very beneficial and a great complement to your Tricare if used properly.

Correct. I mostly use my Tricare Primary Care Doctor. I use my VA Doctor for my annual physicals, bloodwork, and prescriptions. It’s great to have the ability to cherry pick on certain aspects of medical care, especially if you can save money. The VA is very beneficial and a great complement to your Tricare if used properly.
Thanks for all of your help with this one. As always, this forum comes through!

For the record, I will say that my care with the VA has been nothing short of stellar at this point. I have used them for everything (mental health, dental, urology, orthopedics, and primary care) and the items they couldn't take care of they referred me without issue. I have Tricare as well which my wife uses. She's been through breast cancer treatments and thank the good Lord, everything was handled professionally and efficiently. I can honestly say that neither of us have any negative experiences with Tricare or VA. I'm sure there is a wide spectrum of care received at the VA but I can say the same for the civilian practices. Anyway, just wanted to give credit where credit is due - my VA facility and providers have been wonderful. If's it's luck - then I'll continue to carry around this four-leaf clover. Shout out to all veterans trying to get the care they need and deserve and bless the providers that do their best to assist us.

I'm going to assume this is trolling and not delusional ramblings. So, the OP should love you and your workplace, absolutely without question and they must never, never comment on their feelings or experience on things. If they want to maintain their beliefs, YOU, have decided that they are wrong (!!) and their opinion on things hurts you so much that you tell them: that they should give up not only trying to get healthcare through the U.S. VA but, also, give up the federally mandated disability payments due to them for injuries sustained during service. Brilliant. I think you just lets us all know how to interact with you in the future.