Mental Health & Multiple Physical Injuries Timeline

HealUp

Registered Member
2010- Joined Air Force

2011 - Went to doctor about pain on inside of my foot (documented)

2013 - Refer to pictures 1 and 2. Likely Tore a ligament or tendon (or multiple tears) in same foot playing basketball for intramural team (documented in my records as pain). My foot was black and blue and swollen like a ball after rolling it in a basketball game. After going to off base ER immediately (they diagnosed it simply as a sprain) and PCM after the weekend, my PCM said that I could schedule an appointment after 2-3 weeks. When I called for a follow-up appointment after that time frame, they said I would have to wait 2 more weeks to see my PCM. I was frustrated and so I thought I would try and run on it for the time being. I simply ran through the pain with no physical therapy referral, no x-ray or MRI ordered, and no profile ordered to my knowledge.

2014 - Refer to 3rd picture. Likely Tore another ligament/tendon (or multiple tears) in same foot playing basketball (documented in my records only as pain in my foot after seeing my PCM). My foot was black and blue and swollen like a ball. I was naive and I ran ran on it again thinking I would tough it out after 3 weeks with no physical therapy, no x-ray, or mri He diagnosed it as a sprain and put me on a 1 month profile. When I ran from that point forward, I noticed hip pain. I have was running with a noticeable hitch in my step. My gait likely shifted.

2018 - After seeing my PCM for pain in my ankle in multiple areas on inside and outside, First x-ray was ordered. The doctor said the pain from the inside of my foot is presenting as an avulsion fracture. The doctor put it in my medical records but we never had a follow up conversation about it nor did he refer me to physical therapy. They didn’t address the other issues in my ankle either.

April 2021 - Seek mental health voluntarily for stress, pain/injuries in multiple areas of my body, poor sleep, and possibly any other issues.

September 2021 - Doctor orders MRI and x-ray. They find a 3 tears (torn ligament, torn tendon, torn plantar fascia) and an extra bone called an “accessory navicular” on the inside part of my ankle (refer to 2011). The extra bone sticks out of my foot causing pain and treatment for it is surgical removal or shaving it down. I was Referred for surgery within in a week immediately after the MRI.

October 2021 - Successful ankle surgery to correct the torn ligament and tendon and the outside.

Current 2021- I still have shooting pain in my plantar fascia and inside extra gnome. I’m on a 6 month physical profile with 3 month duty limits. As much as I like seeing mental health, the provider focuses on issues like my parents which don’t bother me nearly as much as the physical and mental things going on. I’ve been seeing Mental health for 7-8 months with another appointment upcoming. I take no medication for any other issues.

The doctor who performed the surgery recommended that I will likely need another surgery to fix the plantar fascia tear and extra bone issue. I have never been in trouble in my career and my records are all stellar. I have had all 90’s and above on my PT tests except for 1 (89).

After reading through these forums for a while, I’m seeing that some Mental health providers can initiate a MEB fairly quickly. Since my mental health issues worsened this past month, I’m frustrated my provider wants to focus issues that aren’t really bothering me. He brought up medical separation once but I didn’t push for it or ask any questions. Ever since then, I’ve been reading about it because I didn’t know a lot about it.

I have hip, groin, shoulder, scapula, clavicle, and elbow issues as well. Also, I can hardly move 3 of my inside toes on my recently repaired foot possibly due to previous nerve damage.

I’m determined to see my PCM for every issue because it affects me every minute of every day. I understand the cycle now. See PCM, complete physical therapy, if issues are same or worse, they recommend MRI or x-ray.

1. At what point, could a MEB be initiated?
  2. Is there anything I can do to help initiate the process without directly asking for it? I know that’s not my job. I get that. But I’m frustrated about my care to this point for legitimate reasons. I understand that I should’ve have been smarter and followed up earlier. It seems like the system is designed against members to document multiple issues at one time. But, I’m having multiple issues and I’ve officially seen my PCM 3 different times for hip and shoulder issues and he has not documented it in my records. It seems like he is actively not addressing my issues.
  3. I’ve been at my current base for less than a year, could a humanitarian or some other hardship PCS be possible so I could move closer to family to help with possible surgeries in the future? I’m currently overseas.
  4. Is job retraining an option? My job is currently very stressful due to multiple emergencies and urgent issues after hours. At the current moment, staying in the Air Force is fine but a different job would be a lot better if I require multiple surgeries.

My goal is to heal, recover, and strengthen. But, I think this will be a multi-year process. I want to be there for my family for the long term. I thought I could tough through the pain/injuries for my entire career but I’m having a very difficult time with everyday tasks and performing duties at work.

I’m going to keep going to my PCM as much as possible for them to look into an MRI and x-ray for the issues at the hip and shoulder.

If anybody has any recommendations, it would be much appreciated. My goal is to be informed as possible.

One last thing from this site and members….thanks for creating and powering this site. Information helps members be informed about their rights.

Attachments

• C14D4880-00A2-484D-877D-350E6D21EDD9.jpeg
    C14D4880-00A2-484D-877D-350E6D21EDD9.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 4
  • D5818568-3398-48C6-9876-6D1396602DDB.jpeg
    D5818568-3398-48C6-9876-6D1396602DDB.jpeg
    782.5 KB · Views: 4
  • FE53F528-ACDD-4E0E-8FCD-1063D3E2CA96.jpeg
    FE53F528-ACDD-4E0E-8FCD-1063D3E2CA96.jpeg
    901.6 KB · Views: 4
Have you been referred to podiatrist? If you are having continuing pain in your foot that may be the best provider for you.

Thanks for the response. Yes I have in September 2021. He said I will likely need another procedure to fix 2 more issues. I’m actually excited for this because he seemingly did a good job on the surgery I had a few weeks ago.