Nuke facing De-Nuking

Matthew Barry

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hi there. I am an ET3 in the Navy and recently have been informed by my doctor that I am going to be placed on a medication to treat me. The drug (Requip) he informed me that it will disqualify me. I have been in a LIMDU status since I completed prototype and have yet to be out to the fleet. I have been in for 2 years now. I am curious how all of this works with re-rating and medical benefits. Since in the pipeline I have been treated for skin cancer twice, awaiting a surgery for a hiatal hernia and fundoplication, type 2 hypertension, and my extremities fale around over 100 times an hour determined by 2 sleep studies, which is what the Requip is for. The reason Im worried about the re-rating is that the jobs that were offered to someone else that was here at the command I am currently at was CS and DC.

What can I do if I dont like the jobs offered?
What is this whole process like and what is entailed in it?
Will I be entitled to my Tricare if I am separated?

Thank you in advance for any input on this subject.

Matt,
They first have to decide if your medical conditions warrant separation or if they can cross-train. Once that decision is made, then you worry about the jobs. If you are separated instead of retired, you should maintain Tricare for 6 months. If you are retired, Tricare for as long as retirement lasts (TDRL or PDRL).

One step at a time brother. Talk with someone in the career counselor shop about cross-training.

Thanks for the advice. I have talked to them and they seem wishy washy about it. The cross training is what im worried about the most. My fellow ET3 was in the same boat and they offered him cs and dc. He choose not to re rate and was let go. Im just affraid to get a job im not cut out for, is that an option. Im hoping for hm or it but one step at a time.

Matt,
You have a few choices in regards to cross rating. You have a certain time (I'm not sure anymore what it is) to apply for different jobs that you may want. The problem is the community has to take you and lots of the other rates are drawing down. You can choose not to re rate and you'll be separated. The available rates are published somewhere (again, I didnt deal directly with this) and you get a list of them. You choose to apply to whichever rate and sometime they say yes or no. The rates changes basically every week, so it's hard to predict. And other things go into it. All I can tell you is the guys you're working with (I'm assuming DTP or the NY version) have been doing this alot. They're really good at this. Ask lots of questions and if you don't like the rates you can always take the exit. Sorry to hear about your health troubles. Just remember it is your choice. Don't let anyone pressure into taking a rating you don't want to.

Is your doctor considering a med board? If not, that may be something that you could talk to him about if you aren't looking to stay in. As for the forced conversion, it's like truck said. Your CCC should be able to give a list of available jobs. Once N133 receives the package that disquals you, they will write a message directing forced conversion; this will state that you have 30 days to submit your package.

Because you are currently LIMDU, the forced conversion instruction specifically states that they don't want to see any package from you. So, until you are off of LIMDU, you won't need to worry about the forced conversion process; you just continue with your current rate working whatever job you are currently assigned.

From what I have seen, forced conversions for junior Sailors (without NJP's in their background) go pretty well in terms of being accepted for a conversion.

Thank you all for your input and advice. It makes things not look so dark and grim. I do have one question though. My doctor still has yet to give me a definant answer about the Requip being disqualifing and he never returns my calls asking if he had gotten word on it. So does anyone know if this drug is considered disqualifing for a Nuke. Cause if not then I have nothing to worry about and it will be smoothing sailing from here on out. Thanks

I would have to be at work to look at the instruction that medical gave me. Any drug that acts on the central nervous system is disqualifying. Looking at the description of requip, specifically it being a dopamine agonist,it sounds like it is a CNS acting drug. Ask somebody at medical if they can let you look at the instruction with the information for submarine disqualifying stuff, it has the list of medications that would also disqualify somebody nuke.

Thank you Bananers. Ive tried searching for the list myself but Ill I turn up is a statement that says "psychopharamaceticals" but doesnt elaborate. I really hope its not on the list. Crossing my fingers cause I like this job, but time will tell. thank you again

http://www.med.navy.mil/directives/...rporates Changes 128, 130, 135-140 below).pdf

(9)Any use of psychopharmaceuticals for
any indication within the preceding year is
disqualifying. Waivers will be considered after a 60-
day interval offmedication if the individual has been
examined and cleared by a doctoral level mental
health provider. The mental health provider shall
specifically comment on the presence or absence of
any withdrawal, discontinuation, rebound, or other
such symptoms attributable to the episode of
psychopharmaceutical use. Individuals who
experience any of these symptoms must be symptom
free for 60 days before a waiver will be considered.
(a) For the purpose of this directive,
“psychopharmaceutical” is defined as a prescription
medication with primary activity in the central
nervous system. This includes, but is not limited to,
all antidepressants, antipsychotics, antiepileptics,
sedative/hypnotics, stimulants, anxiolytics; smoking
cessation agents other than nicotine, DEA scheduled
medications, and bipolar agents. Isotretinoin
(Accutane) is considered a psychopharmaceutical
and the provisions of this section apply.
(b) Exceptions. Zolpidem(Ambien)
prescribed for jet lag, medications prescribed or
administered for facilitation of a medical or dental
procedure, medications prescribed for analgesia for
up to 1 week, anti-emetics for acute nausea, and
muscle relaxants (such as cyclobenzaprine or
diazepam) for acute musculoskeletal pain are not
disqualifying.
(c) Use of any DEA Schedule I drug
for any reason, including religious sacraments, is
disqualifying.

Hi Chief,

I recently got all this resolved. I was returned to full duty back in December and choose to not take the medication for the restless leg syndrome. I just recieced my orders to cvn 69 and report at the beginning of April. So thank you for getting in touch with me but when I got the choice to take the med or not I choose to do my job. Thank you again Chief.

V/R
ET2 Barry

Glad to see everything worked out for you. I was onboard TRUMAN in Reactor Dept so I understand "your world". r/

I am really looking forward to finally getting to experience that world here next month. Super excited to do what I trained to do and just be on a carrier.

Hi Chief,

I recently got all this resolved. I was returned to full duty back in December and choose to not take the medication for the restless leg syndrome. I just recieced my orders to cvn 69 and report at the beginning of April. So thank you for getting in touch with me but when I got the choice to take the med or not I choose to do my job. Thank you again Chief.

V/R
ET2 Barry

I'm glad things have worked out to your benefit, ET2. The only thing that worries me is that this just seems to continue the nuclear Navy's tradition of forcing sailors to choose between treatment for medical issues of varying severity and their careers.

I wish you the best and hope it all works out for you.

v/r,

Carl