Ongoing health problems and no help from the Air Force

MSgtTired

Registered Member
Hi. Came across this website in my never ending searches for help with what the AF is doing to me.

Brief history: 12 years in; 5 active/7 reserves. Never pursued a waiver for physical reasons before, so I have no history of shirking my duties (as seems to be implied these days by the docs). No previous history of medical problems (until last year). Never failed a PT test until recently (not because of new standards...). Was set to deploy last year when, about two weeks prior to my drop dead date, I ended up in the ER for an emergency cholesystechtomy (gall bladder removal). Six months later - incisional hernia repair (from extended laproscope site). Four months later - emergency ERCP and Sphincter of Oddi widening (sphincterectomy). Two months later - stomach biopsy diagnosing me with chronic gastritis. Last weekend - another trip to the ER where it was found I have a kidney stone, collapsed lung bases and a possible ovarian cyst. Oh, and I've gained 50 pounds in the last three years, none of which I have been able to lose.

My problem: the Air Force apparently thinks I'm trying to shirk my duties or avoid the new PT test because they will not give me a waiver. I did get 6 weeks of convo leave after the first surgery because I was in bad shape and was given an Army doc at the clinic when I went in for my LOD paperwork (btw - all of the above was done through civilian doctors). Two weeks after my hernia repair, I tried to get a waiver from an Air Force doc who told me that it would only be for one month (?!?!?) and that the weight gain was my fault. So, I sucked it up and tried to press on. Started working out more and really cutting back on my diet...and lost no weight. Which is one of the reasons I ended up getting the stomach biopsy. The GI docs are still working through probable problems with me, starting with gastritis. (On going symptoms - extreme fatigue, lethargy, severe epigastric pain that drifts left and right, stool issues, gas, bloating, bowel movement problems).

So, I took the PT test...and failed. I met the minimum standards for all areas, but failed because of the walk. I walked a mile in 13:07, which everyone I've spoke with agreed that was a phenomenal time. However, the Air Force includes your weight and heart rate into some non-sensical formula...and I failed the overall walk score because my weight is "too high".

I went back to the clinic after the ER run this weekend in the hopes of getting a waiver before I have to retake the test in two weeks (when my 90 days are up). I had initially planned on taking it, mind you, but this latest run has set me back 3 weeks.

Anyway, the doc told me she didn't feel any of my current problems are worth a waiver but she was giving me 60 days out because she was "nice". (haha) She also said the weight was my problem and that I should be forced to turn in a food diary so I could be monitored in making sure I was eating a caloric-restricted diet.

Which is the point that, without military bearing, I would have shouted her down.

Because I have no gall bladder, I have to eat heathy and cannot eat a lot. The chronic fatigue I've had is also no help because it has killed my appetite. So, despite these "doctors'" claims, it is not my diet. I also work out (less the last three weeks) three days a week and take one hour dance classes an additional two days.

Yet, the Air Force keeps questioning my integrity and telling me it is all my problem/fault.

I've been told that I will probably get med boarded, which is not what I want to do...especially considering, given time, I will get better.

What I'm wondering is:

1) does any of this sound like a med board?
2) despite what I've been told, it is possible to get exempt from the entire PT test? All I want is some time to get back in shape versus the need to turn to drastic measures (i.e. eating disorders or the like) to get in super model shape and prime athletic condition in such a short time. Because I was given no time to recover slowly by the Air Force, I've had to go "balls to the wall" to recover and get back in shape at the same time. Neither of which have worked and both of which are likely causing me to keep going back to my civilian doc.
3) I was given the entire run up of deployment shots (except for the third anthrax) in about three months. Any of this sound like it could be caused by that (minus the first two surgeries...I had the second anthrax shot the day before I ended up in the ER the first time and the hernia was from that surgery).
4) any words of wisdom or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry all of this is babbled and glomped together. I'm at my wits end (thus trying to get it all out at once) and am doped up on percocet.

If you can help, it will be greatly appreciated!!

Thx!

MSgt

1) does any of this sound like a med board?
2) despite what I've been told, it is possible to get exempt from the entire PT test? All I want is some time to get back in shape versus the need to turn to drastic measures (i.e. eating disorders or the like) to get in super model shape and prime athletic condition in such a short time. Because I was given no time to recover slowly by the Air Force, I've had to go "balls to the wall" to recover and get back in shape at the same time. Neither of which have worked and both of which are likely causing me to keep going back to my civilian doc.
3) I was given the entire run up of deployment shots (except for the third anthrax) in about three months. Any of this sound like it could be caused by that (minus the first two surgeries...I had the second anthrax shot the day before I ended up in the ER the first time and the hernia was from that surgery).
4) any words of wisdom or advice would be greatly appreciated.

MSgtTired,

Welcome! Sorry to hear about all you are going through.

Here are my thoughts on your questions:

1) Yes! The standards are found in AFI 41-123. You can find that in the downloads section, here.
2)Yes, it is. See the link, here (page 26).
3) Could be...the main importance of this would be if there is an issue of whether your condition is in the line of duty. Are you on orders or do you have an LOD?
4) Hang in there, keep your military bearing (tough as it may be, and unwarranted if others are being discourteous). Remember, if you require an MEB, the disability evaluation system supercedes any other non-misconduct separation.

Best of luck!!